SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those that Carry.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those that Carry..... Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to a company that sells the insurance. Look under the membership tab and it will show different coverages they offer.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I do not. I am rather suspicious of these policies.

Agree, if it came to that point it's extremely personal, live or die personal, fight to the death personal. No matter the outcome do you think I'll be pulling the trigger while wondering if I paid my premium?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To those that have this type of insurance, how many of these type cases have been litigated in the last year?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have US Law Shield and NRA Retired LEO policies. They do not cover damages but will provide legal services. In Florida, as well as many other states, you are immune from prosecution or law suit if your use of force is lawful. Use of force cases are messy and often the facts are murky at first. You should never underestimate the potential for overzealous law enforcement or prosecutors to find probable cause and to make your life miserable. I have no fear of being successfully sued or prosecuted but attorney fees to defend yourself can break you.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would tend to think that a company that sells insurance to CCW holders would go to considerable lengths to defend a client whose use of such insurance was being used as evidence against him in a prosecution. To let that hold up would be pretty bad for business.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
"Lady's and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. Smith knew that he was such a hot head, knew that he was just itching to pull the trigger, that he purposely sought out insurance. Not just any insurance, but extreme insurance. A policy for when he decides to use his gun and shoot someone. If that's not premeditated, I don't know what is. Mr. Smith probably looks up to, and aspires to be like, the George Zimmermans of the world".

That the defendant is insured is not relevant evidence. That means it is inadmissible. The justification for the rule is that the existence of insurance doesn't have a tendency to prove or disprove what actually happened. Therefore it is irrelevant. Irrelevant evidence is not admissible. Plus, it is prejudicial, as jurors may think that if insurance is paying, they may as well throw the plaintiff some money.

This is a well established rule in any U.S. jurisdiction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
1st, I usually don't go to places where I can get in trouble.

2nd, Even if the extraordinarily unlikely event occurs that I do get in trouble, it is still unlikely that I will draw my gun

3rd Even if I do draw my gun it is even less likely that I will actually pull the trigger.

4th even if I do pull the trigger I have been trained and have a generally cool head so it is unlikely that I would face charges or lawsuit

5th If I do go somewhere stupid and something stupid happens to me and I do pull the firearm and I do shoot it's unlikely that I would be convicted.

6th If the above rolls onto me like a 28 second tidal-wave the potential cost to me is time in jail while I sort it out, loss of family time, up front cost to fund my defense, the heart-stopping discussion with my defense lawyer about how much this is going to cost me, the potential of having to hire experts to explain that that bullet couldn't get there from here and more.

7th I have protection which costs me about a latte a month which I don't miss anyway. And with my choice there is ongoing communication about their experience with their 'members' and outcomes as well as ongoing info on the state of the law and more. That more includes discounts in the 5 to 10% range with some national and local trainers and since I train like a son-of-a-gun that is a modest windfall as well.
A trial would be financially ruinous for me. A loss and an appeal could take every thing...if I won.
And like the biker said above, I would like to know what the language is in those umbrella policies that offer protection in the nightmare scenario.

So I have the protection even though I'm 99% sure I won't need it.
I'll pay for it by not buying something else I don't need, that latte for instance. Big Grin

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post