SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those that Carry.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those that Carry..... Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
For those members that CCW, do you have insurance in case you do have to defend yourself?
I cannot carry in my own state, but do have non-resident permits that allow me to carry in 34 states. While reading on a local NJ gun forum, I came upon a post stating if you CCW you should have insurance. Do you have insurance for your carry firearm?
I first looked in Search, but only found 1 post and it was about insurance for firearms in the home.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Don't need it - as long as it is a good shoot. GA does not allow civil suits for self defense.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago- some good info and links are listed...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1020012024

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Opinions on that insurance are as vast as political opinions.

For me, no. CCW permit holders, the numbers that have to do a presentation and/or fire, is not even one percent of one percent last time I looked. And I don't like the idea of that insurance being used against me in a court of law, criminal or civil. I think it is smarter to research and meet a local defense attorney if it ever comes up so you know who to call. Traveling, I'll just use my head, be safe by planning safe routes, and traveling at the safer times. Heavily focused on situational awareness. Pre-sourcing attorneys in every area of every state I plan to travel is too much work for me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
In Maryland we are a "May" issue State so I carry for business. Yes, my business insurance has liability built in, up to 5 million per occurrence. With luck I'll never have to use it. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
"Lady's and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. Smith knew that he was such a hot head, knew that he was just itching to pull the trigger, that he purposely sought out insurance. Not just any insurance, but extreme insurance. A policy for when he decides to use his gun and shoot someone. If that's not premeditated, I don't know what is. Mr. Smith probably looks up to, and aspires to be like, the George Zimmermans of the world".

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
"Lady's and gentlemen of the jury, Mr. Smith knew that he was such a hot head, knew that he was just itching to pull the trigger, that he purposely sought out insurance. Not just any insurance, but extreme insurance. A policy for when he decides to use his gun and shoot someone. If that's not premeditated, I don't know what is. Mr. Smith probably looks up to, and aspires to be like, the George Zimmermans of the world".

Good point.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find this notion to be as equally absurd as the idea of carrying CCW insurance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I find this notion to be as equally absurd as the idea of carrying CCW insurance.

I totally agree. But inasmuch a prosecuting attorney will say & do whatever it takes to sway a jury if a shooting incident goes to trial, I'd be surprised if they didn't bring this notion up.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
quote:

I totally agree. But inasmuch a prosecuting attorney will say & do whatever it takes to sway a jury if a shooting incident goes to trial, I'd be surprised if they didn't bring this notion up.

And that is why the only insurance you need is a good attorney - BEFORE it ever gets that far.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How do you plan on paying for that attorney (at a few hundred dollars an hour)?

Has anyone seen an example where carrying an insurance policy covering CCW liability, both criminal and/or civil, has ever been used against a defendant in court?

On the flip side, what do these policies cost, and what / how much do they cover?

quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And that is why the only insurance you need is a good attorney - BEFORE it ever gets that far.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

All you have to do is read about the Duke Lacrosse prosecutions in Durham NC to see what a renegade prosecutor will do to put you in prison for life.

I would put NOTHING by a prosecutor in terms of what they might TRY to use against you. Could be ANYTHING.

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RB211:
Don't need it - as long as it is a good shoot. GA does not allow civil suits for self defense.

Same in Michigan, plus anybody attempting to prosecute a civil lawsuit against somebody in Michigan who was found to have lawfully defended themselves may find themselves on the hook for their intended victim's legal fees:

quote:

PA 314 states that a person who defends himself (or in defense of another individual) with deadly force or less than deadly force anywhere he has a right to be is immune from civil liability for damages.

PA 312 provides attorney fees to a defendant if a civil suit is filed and the court determines that the defendant is immune from civil liability under PA 314.

Ref: Michigan’s Castle Doctrine & No-Retreat Legislation Review (ammoland.com)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I would put NOTHING by a prosecutor in terms of what they might TRY to use against you. Could be ANYTHING.

-------------------------------------------------

^ /

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBMW:
How do you plan on paying for that attorney (at a few hundred dollars an hour)?

On the flip side, what do these policies cost, and what / how much do they cover?

/QUOTE]

I carry CCW insurance. Cost about $400 a year. Provides an emergency hotline with attorneys on retainer in whatever state you find yourself in need. Pays immediate bond money should the locals decide to lock you up and helps pay legal defense both in criminal and civil court(amount depends on policy). I don't really need it in Alabama but I travel a lot and some states I'm in are down right unfriendly towards people carrying guns.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I do not. I am rather suspicious of these policies.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have an umbrella policy. Not specific CCW insurance. The umbrella covers all liability.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I have an umbrella policy. Not specific CCW insurance. The umbrella covers all liability.
Liability insurance normally covers a negligent act. Will it cover you for a purposeful act? I am skeptical that anyone would underwrite such a policy. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I don't, however, see anything wrong with having a lawyer's name in your pocket. Right after a shooting is a really bad time to be flipping through the Yellow Pages.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Also, will a liability umbrella cover criminal defense? I'm pretty sure it won't.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I don't know if my umbrella covers criminal defense, but I do know it covers me if I shoot someone and there is a resulting civil liability - as long as I'm not convicted of a crime.

I think I read somewhere that being an NBA member automatically gets you $50k of criminal defense should you need it? Don't quote me, though, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if needed.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post