SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
1978 $2.65/hr

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
My first tax paying job was $7/hr in 1987, my senior year in high school. I was the doorman at a popular bar. I made so much in tips, they had to remind me to cash my checks. All my previous jobs were cash based.

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
1976 $2.30 an hour, housekeeping deptartment at a local hospital

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
First job at 16 was at Diary Queen in 1978..
$2.65 an hour averaging a 20 hour work week.
But all the Hungerbusters and Dilly bars I could eat... Big Grin

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/w...m-wage/history/chart

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
$2.15 local sporting good store

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2.35 helping out as a scab boxboy at my dad's supermarket during a labor strike. Not exactly legal per labor laws at the time but I was 13, so what did I know?

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4.25/hour

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
$4.25 in 1994

First taxable job was sweeping cigarettes and emptying trash cans at an amusement park... moved up to games/rides/lifeguard pretty quickly from that!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Mowing fairways for $4.25 an hour, it was a great job at 15yo. Got up at 4AM, rode my bike the 4 miles to the golf course and was done by 10AM normally.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
The salaries of most of you who started working in the 60s and 70s are unbelievable. Many of you were making the equivalent of $12-20 per hour adjusted for inflation.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first wage earning job was in 2001 at age 15.
Made $5.15 an hour to lifeguard a local municipal swimming pool.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks like $3.35 was the answer while ~16, though I'd been working at the same golf course for "cash" for 3 years by then. Also from looking at SS earnings statement online I made a whopping $783 that year, about $2,000 the following.

My SS statement is always an interesting storyline that shows so much of what was happening in the real world behind the scenes over the years. If you've not looked at yours lately, you should, bet it is the same for many of us.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1973 I had a job building custom motorcycle seats for 1.10 per hour. I couldn't believe I could make this much. I was still in high school working summer and later after football practice. I was the one of few that were not related. I decided to quit when the owner ran through my work area, followed closely by his wife. She had a pistol and was yelling something about him screwing someone on her sheets! The workplace environment didn't seem nearly as safe after that!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
Worked after school in a grocery store meat department and full time in the summers. Started in 1958 at $1.35 an hour.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 765 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
$2/hr. Work at a photo studio 1976-77. B&W processing and printing and general duty go-fer.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1992, I was 15 yrs old working at the Winchester Mystery House.
I worked as a cashier and reheated up food from time to time
They paid $5.00 an hr starting wage.

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
$1.65 per hour in 1969, pumping gas at a local gas station in the 9th grade.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
$3.35/hr in 1984 cashier and stockroom at People's Drug Store. Stayed there through high school and then seasonally in college.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1976 $1.89 an hour.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post