SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
$3.35 an hour in 1989 bagging groceries at grocery store. Had been working for two years prior to that getting paid under the table at a flea market.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
1967 in high school working at my uncle's Mobil station. $1.25 an hour. T1968 I worked at a Standard station near my house, $1.50 and got to do oil changes and minor work. The next year I was elevated to $1.65 an hour and got to do some real work, first job was to desludge a 289 Ford that was full of muck.

I quit and went to a department store for a month, hated it and tried to get back at the Standard but my job had been filled. But the owner had me run errands for him, he was divorced and was about thirty miles from his ex and kids. If they needed to go to the doctor I got to transport them, took his support checks to his ex, picked up his ex's sister who didn't drive from the east side of Detroit and bring her to the city I presently live in. all the time driving the boss's E; Caminos, first a 66 327 4 speed, next one a 69 SS 396 4 speed. Rough life.

1970 started in car dealerships, first job was $1.50 an hour. In 1972 I started making $3.00 an hour, felt like a millionaire. That year I got my car painted, rebuilt my blown up motorcycle that sat for over a year and bought my first real tool box, a ten drawer Craftsman, still have it too!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1971-1972: Bagging groceries @ $1.60/hr. (I think that was minimum wage) and dairy farm worker @ $1.25/ hr. (agricultural minimum wage).....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
1986, $2.90 an hour (min wage was $3.35 if I recall but 2.90 was a training wage). KFC cook, left after a month and started at KMart for $3.50

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1964. $74 per month, before taxes and deductions. Plus a free boat ride to Germany.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
1967 Kroger grocery bagger $1.65 hour, I think but it may have been $1.45.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
$2.50 an hour in 1976.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989=1990- Publix supermarket as a bagboy for $4.25 an hour.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Working a sporting goods store in summer of '95.

I believe I made whatever minimum wage was at that time. $5.15?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
My first tax paying job was my junior year in 1982. I was enrolled in VoTech Autobody Repair course. A man from the local Chrysler/Dodge dealership came looking to hire someone who was very good at spraying paint. My teacher sent me. I think I was paid $5.35 (I know it was 5 something) an hour to prep and paint white Dodge trucks "highway" orange for delivery to the Chautauqua County Highway Department.

My Senior year I only had one class, then I went to work. The job lasted until the last truck was delivered. They said they wanted to keep me on, but there just wasn't enough work to justify it considering they already had a fulltime body man. Not long after graduation I enlisted in the U.S. Navy.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1981. Full-time, temporary corrections officer in Vermont. $3.96/hour. I had a part-time job prior to that but can’t recall the wage.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
1970. Stop & Shop grocery store in CT. Produce clerk and on demand bagger Frown

I made the princely sum of $1.90/hour because I had to join the Retail Clerks International Association. That was better than my friends were making elsewhere. Even at that low a level, though, opened my eyes about unions and have never belonged to one since.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
First W3 job, 1983. 3.35/hr at Burger King.
Lasted about 3 weeks.
Went to work at a relatives garage after that.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
1994, $4.25 an hour working for my school district. The school district hired a number of students to work part time during the school year and full time during the summer working as janitors helping to clean the schools. We worked right alongside the full time janitors. It was actually an excellent experience and I learned a few interesting things like how to strip and refinish floors, how to use a floor buffer, etc. It also taught me the value of a hard days work, and I am definitely grateful for the experience.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
produce clerk, Winn Dixie Stores inc,

made $2.90 hr, that was better than minimum due to working in produce,

Aug 1980

left the company as a Store Manager, May 2004

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made $4.25 and hour in 1995 as a dishwasher at a pizza place. We got to take home the leftover pizzas that didnt sell which is a huge plus for a hungry high school kid.

I actually worked 3 jobs washing dishes and busing tables as I was only given a few hours at each restaurant. All paid $4.25 an hour and as a bus boy I would earn about $20 in tips per shift as a bonus.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my first job right as I turned 14 years old in 2007, working at a brand new Chick-Fil-A at the mall a few blocks from my house. Made $6.25 an hour (minimum wage then was $6.20 so I appreciated the nickel.)

Labor laws for people under 16 in Iowa said I couldn’t work more than 18 hours a week, couldn’t work more than 8 hours a day, and couldn’t work past 7PM. I worked three days a week 4PM-7PM and then Saturdays from 11AM-7PM.

Those $175 paychecks made me feel like a millionaire.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I *think* it was 1986 making $3.15/hour bagging groceries and stocking shelves. Before that it was all cash mowing lawns and working in tobacco fields.

Edit: Nope, looks like minimum then was $3.35.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I still have that job today. May of 1984 and I started at minimum wage. 3.11 per hour.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 2.50 or so an hour sacking at a Kroger’s in ‘79. Tip money increased that quite a bit.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post