SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
$1.25/hr 1963.
Started the day I turned 16 at the local pharmacy working as a clerk / soda fountain / pharmacist's assistant (counting pills, etc.).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First real job: 1972. Site Oil Co. Pump jockey.
$1.80 per hour.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Would’ve been about 1985. I had a job in a framing store.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1962 or 1963, Bellhop at a local resort, $.075 cents an hour
1965 E-1, USAF $98 per month

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Under the table, cash, when I was 10 in 1984. Before school throwing papers. After school selling subscriptions to same paper, under the table, paid cash. Amounts varied. Didn’t pay taxes. First time for that was at 15, washing dishes at a Steak and Ale. Think it was $4 an hour or something, $4.85.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My first legal tax-paying job was in 1991 at age 14 for $4.25 an hour. I had jobs before that but that’s not what you asked. I quit within the first 15 minutes, which is a different story for a different thread. But I got another job for $4.25 an hour a week later that I kept for 4 years until I joined the Marines.

That job taught me a very valuable lesson. I started as a host/busboy but hated being in the dining room in front of customers. I envied the dishwasher who didn’t have a uniform and got to be in the kitchen only. So in my downtime I learned how to wash dishes (not a very hard thing to learn) and told my boss that I’d prefer to do that if possible. One night the dishwasher didn’t show up so I was asked to fill in, and was then moved to that job instead. When I was moved my boss gave me a $0.25 an hour raise and told me that he did so because I was now more valuable to him since I could do two jobs. While working as the dishwasher I spent my downtime learning how to be a cook, and eventually got promoted to cook and got another raise. By the tine I left I was kitchen manager.

I worked hard to learn new skills and was rewarded for it. That taught me a lot about how to make myself more valuable and it’s a lesson I’ve used for my whole life.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
$3.85 in 1990 at a 1 owner country store/deli.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$3.35/hr as a stagehand at the theatre at school.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
1999 Bussing tables at a little Italian Restaurant in Jax, FL for 5.15 an hour which was minimum wage of course at the time.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$5.25 per hour at Micky D's in 1996.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1.65 in 1971 when I was 16 .Worked in a grocery store bagging groceries, stocking shelves and running cash register if needed.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
1971 chrome shop in Detroit, $1.95 per hour.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
1994, Chick-Fil-A, $4.25/hr.

Couldn’t wait to start working a real job as soon as I turned 14. Had it lined up and ready to go. Continued to work there through most of college.

I used to think I should have taken an opportunity I had at one point which would have led to me being a very young owner/operator, but since Dan Cathy went semi-woke last year, I’m very glad I didn’t.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
$3.35 an hour in 1988 and was happy to get it. Delivered pizza for dominos pizza. Pretty good gig all in all. Averaged about $120 in tips a night for a ten hour shift.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
$3.35 / hr. 1982. Busch Gardens, the Old Country, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1981, Michigan State University dorm dish room.
$3.35 and my favorite job ever since

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997, $4.75/hr, pollinating corn...led to my first 10/22!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
$8.75 an hour as a theater usher at Paramount’s Kings Island Amusement park in 1999.

Prior to that I had been a Caddy at the local country club and mowed lawns.
Painted 1 chain link fence to quickly realize I would never be doing that again. But those were all cash jobs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
In the summer of 1963 I went to work for an apple orchard in Yakima, Washington picking apples paid $1.27 and hour plus a bonus for extra trees. I was 16.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
1968 after graduating from High School. Stock boy at a department store, $1.25/hr as I recall.

Got a (illegal, as I wasn't old enough) job as a shovel monkey for a construction outfit, bumped my pay to something like $2.00

Turned 18 in October, went to work for Oldsmobile making the Big Bucks at $3.65 or something like that.

I had pre-enlisted in the Navy and was supposed to go to Boot Camp the following April, but my recruiter called me in February and asked if I would be willing to go early. Seeing as I HATED working the assembly line, I jumped on it. Huge pay cut, $84 a month. OTOH, no car-related expenses, no room and board. Probably actually had more spending money. Just no chance to spend it...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post