SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I entered the hourly workforce as soon as I was 15, in 1984, actual burger-flipping and fry-cooking for my first job, in exchange for a whopping $3.35/hr.

Before that I mowed a few lawns each week, and worked doing track maintenance at the BMX track in exchange for free entrance fees for the Races.

But yeah, $3.35/hr in 1984 was where it all started.

You?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
$4.25 1991 16 years old pizza delivery driver. They provided the car. Awesome job for my first job.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
$6.15 1995

First W-2 job. All cash under the table prior to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post

$7.50/hr - Clerical Job FT Day (9 years)
$6.25/hr - Bagging Grocery PT Night (6 years)

Had to work two jobs to survive.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My first 'job-job' drawing wages, was in a tire shop busting truck & car retreads. 1962 after school, $1.25/hr. Big steady money.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Early 80s, $3.35/hr at a drive through dairy.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
January 1977
Age 16
McDonald’s
$2.30/hour

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
1994, $4.50/hr. working in the stockroom at Target. I worked there part time all through HS and college. I left in 2000 for my first full time job at a small PD in Wisconsin making $12/hr.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
1980-81-ish, $3.20-$3.35/hr IIRC. Started bussing tables in a seafood restaurant, then moved up to retail camera sales for approx 5 years until 1986 when I joined the USAF. Actually made less money for the first couple years in the military. Seems like forever ago now...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
1974 and I was making about $4 an hour working at an ice plant.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
1977 - $2.75 - Part Time while in High School working for Dad. Minimum wage was $2.65.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
$1.65 per hour, in 1972

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2836 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
On our farm I was treated as one of the migrant hands, even lent out to other farms with them. $5.00/hr 1995ish.

First job that got taxed was as a cook at a Doughroller restaurant in Ocean City, Maryland. I think my buddy and I negotiated to $7.25 because we spoke English and showed up early. 2001.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Washing carts and picking the range at a local golf club in 1998. $5.15 an hour and all the free golf I could play.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Bagging and stocking for a supermarket in NYC(Grand Union)in 1966.
Was 16 year old and got about $1.53 if I remember.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer of '66 I started working for my Dad in the plumbing business. $.25 cash per hour at the age of 12. 52 years later I make a bit more as a plumber.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Mowed yards and such, a lot, as a kid and some odd jobs or Saturdays with my dad but my first regular 40 hour paychecks were during summers while school was out... 1971 working for my Dad's construction company. Take home check was $99.98 a week. I remember thinking... MAN, just two more cents and I'm making 100 bucks a week!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I entered the hourly workforce as soon as I was 15, in 1984, actual burger-flipping and fry-cooking for my first job, in exchange for a whopping $3.35/hr.

Come on, a whopping wage whacking whoppers?

If I correctly recall, $2.xx washing dishes at a Chinese restaurant. Lasted one day. Worked peacefully at the university library shelving books for pizza money.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
First W2 job was at Dobbs House at the airport bussing tables and running a large scale dishwasher. Sometimes helping with stocking aircraft galleys. Prior to that it was all cash yardwork kicked off by a very first job painting an old barn at 13. One of my regular yard jobs turned out to be the guy who hired me at Dobbs. The summer of 1979 I turned 16, went with my mom to get a drivers license, took her home and drove to the airport 'fortwith'. Thus began groundhog summer where everyday was identical to the last. Parking in long term and taking the now defunct DFW airport 'AirTrans' to the terminal. I was hired at something like $3.10/hr but minimum wage then was actually $2.90.

After that it was hammer and nail roofing every summer. And that paid by the 'square', so it was performance based pay. I found I preferred it. I had tried two fast food jobs that had identical performances: 11 work hours each week at both separate jobs. I was used to working hard and minimum 40 hrs so I gave each two weeks to improve. They did not.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started working for Sohio at age 16 in 1971. Was your typical gas pump jockey who also did oil changes and general mechanical repair. Pay was a glorious 1.30 per hour.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post