Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
As my Dad would say when we lived in Fullerton

Darn dumb Dodgers

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Tinfoil: I swear if Houston wins that it’s obvious pro sports are rigged. 9/11, Patriots win. Hurricane Katrina, Saints win. Hurricane Harvey...

You forgot the 2013 WS Red Sox, post marathon bombing.

That didn't help my Giants in '89. Roll Eyes

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Still can’t believe it is real! They did it. So glad for these players and the city.

Go Stros!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Tinfoil: I swear if Houston wins that it’s obvious pro sports are rigged. 9/11, Patriots win. Hurricane Katrina, Saints win. Hurricane Harvey...

You forgot the 2013 WS Red Sox, post marathon bombing.

That didn't help my Giants in '89. Roll Eyes

Well, it's not like Oakland wasn't affected. There must have been a conspiracy to get both the Bay Area teams in before the earthquake that year!

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not saying what he's claimed is 100% true but this book is an interesting read:

https://www.amazon.com/Persona...candal/dp/061536263X

I'm about 85% through it now. I can definitely see how some sports can be influenced by officiating. Basketball seems to be an easy one because it's such a star driven league and single players can make significant differences. In baseball the guy only gets to bat every 9th time and if the guys in front of him can't get on base, solo home runs aren't very damaging by themselves. I guess a strike zone could be expanded or shrunk.

But a star player on a basketball team can be easily removed from the game by foul trouble.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Dave Roberts management of his pitchers was horrible in my opinion. When I saw that Yu Darvish was going to start game 7 last night, I knew instantly that the Dodgers were doomed. Taking Kershaw out in the 4th inning of the game he started? Stupid. If I remember correctly, no runs were scored by Houston after Darvish was removed, so if Darvish was not in the game at all, the Dodgers could have won 1-0. Poor pitching management.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Dave Roberts apparently went to the Dusty Baker school of "Can't-Manage-Playoff-Pitching."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Dave Roberts management of his pitchers was horrible in my opinion. When I saw that Yu Darvish was going to start game 7 last night, I knew instantly that the Dodgers were doomed. Taking Kershaw out in the 4th inning of the game he started? Stupid. If I remember correctly, no runs were scored by Houston after Darvish was removed, so if Darvish was not in the game at all, the Dodgers could have won 1-0. Poor pitching management.

That is faulty logic at best. Had Kershaw started who's to say how deep he goes? Astros rocked Jansen almost every time he took the bump. The bottom line is that two well matched teams went toe to toe for 7 games and the Astros came out on top. If they played another 7 game series starting next week the Dodgers could well win 4 out of 7. As humans it's our nature to assign blame as a means to understand our losses and frustrations. In this case it's pointless to try to assign the blame for losing a hard fought 7 game series to one or two decisions or plays. Kudos to both teams, they both played and coached their asses off. It's a shame one of them went home empty handed.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:

Not necessarily.

Darvish had a pattern with the Rangers of starting with several rough innings, then get settled down and be very effective. That makes the games he starts more exciting!

A couple of runs is not too big a deal, but 5 in the first is very tough.

Wasn’t Kershaw tken out for a hitter?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
"World Series CHAMPION Houston Astros." Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Big Grin

"World Champs" would be fitting, if there were teams outside of North America competing.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
"World Champs" would be fitting, if there were teams outside of North America competing.
Are you refusing to recognize the country of New New Mexico?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
That is faulty logic at best. Had Kershaw started who's to say how deep he goes? Astros rocked Jansen almost every time he took the bump. The bottom line is that two well matched teams went toe to toe for 7 games and the Astros came out on top. If they played another 7 game series starting next week the Dodgers could well win 4 out of 7. As humans it's our nature to assign blame as a means to understand our losses and frustrations. In this case it's pointless to try to assign the blame for losing a hard fought 7 game series to one or two decisions or plays. Kudos to both teams, they both played and coached their asses off. It's a shame one of them went home empty handed.

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Not necessarily.

Darvish had a pattern with the Rangers of starting with several rough innings, then get settled down and be very effective. That makes the games he starts more exciting!

A couple of runs is not too big a deal, but 5 in the first is very tough.

Wasn’t Kershaw tken out for a hitter?

I’m a huge Giants fan, so I saw the Dodgers quite a bit during the regular season. Kershaw is only human and can indeed have a bad game, but he was pitching the game he started very well and I still don’t understand why Roberts took him out in the 4th inning. He was gambling with Darvish in game 7 and lost when he had other options. Just my opinion. I was neither a Dodger or Astros fan. I wanted to see 7 games and I saw that. I still think Roberts made some poor pitching decisions.

It’s common for good starting pitchers to have a rough 1st and or 2nd inning and settle down, but the World Series isn’t the place to allow that to happen. I still say it cost the Dodgers the World Series. All in all, great series. Didn’t matter to me who won, but being fairly familiar with the Dodgers, I still say it was poorly managed.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Roberts made decisions that had they worked would have been genius.

But in hindsight are questionable at best

In game 2, up 3-1 on Justin Verlander, he takes out Rich Hill, whose only earned run was a solo shot, and goes to his bullpen early. Which meant Kenley Jansen now had to pitch two innings instead of one, and he blew his first ninth inning lead of the season. The astros are a fantastic offensive team, so maybe they score anyway. I'm convinced Roberts increased those chances by overusing players in places they weren't accustomed to (fwiw, I'm a dodgers fan, and that is where I think the series was lost)

Darvish was terrible against the astros as a ranger this year. Different team, I get starting him in game 3. But same results. Which is when Roberts should have gone "nope, still terrible against the astros, have a seat Yu, we are going another route"

Personally, I think Roberts should have started Alex Wood, who held the astros to 2 runs in Houston and was on 4 days rest (having pitched game 4, with the off day). Even the game Wood lost to the Cubs was 3-2 and all the Cubs runs were solo home runs. The knock on wood was he doesn't give up a lot of hits, but a lot of the hits he does give up are home runs. If You stifle the astros offense, and just give up solo shots, you win. You then bring Kershaw in to replace Wood in the 4th or 5th until you can get to your bullpen at the right time

It sucks, because I waited 29 years for this, but astros fans just got their first, and I can live with that

Just hope it's not another 29 yeara

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Roberts is a good example of a manager that relies to heavily on analytics. Ok for the regular season, death for the post season. He probably lost 2 of the WS games for the Dodgers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post