Find
Notify
Tools

World Series Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It's a joy to see any team from LA lose.
Big Grin

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The Astros have been using the hashtag #EarnHistory throughout the playoffs and just started using #EarnedHistory Big Grin

BTW, how do y'all like my new avatar?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Steve, ya peeked and now the #$%^&*( Dodgers have scored! Frown
LOL

It is an odd phenomenon.
During am earlier playoff game I texted a pal at work that Houston was winning.
As I turned back to the screen, the Yankees had already tied it up.
I stopped watching and the Astros eventually won.

Just as an aside, I have been a White Sox fan since the 50s and had avoided watching the playoff games in 2005, the year they beat Houston in the World Series.
The Sox only lost one game during the entire playoffs, want to guess which one I watched.

I was rooting for Cleveland last year and watched the last game.

Adhering to my word in my prior post, I stopped watching (online) tonight and I now see that the Astros won.
Congratulations on their World Series win.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Houston Astros!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
GO 'STROS!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
Thank you Astros from a Giants fan!!!

+1

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Tinfoil: I swear if Houston wins that it’s obvious pro sports are rigged. 9/11, Patriots win. Hurricane Katrina, Saints win. Hurricane Harvey...

You forgot the 2013 WS Red Sox, post marathon bombing.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
GO ASTROS!!! Congratulations to my hometown team!!!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the Astros for a well played series!
After what Houston has been through, They deserve a Championship!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Steve, ya peeked and now the #$%^&*( Dodgers have scored! Frown
LOL

It is an odd phenomenon.
During am earlier playoff game I texted a pal at work that Houston was winning.
As I turned back to the screen, the Yankees had already tied it up.
I stopped watching and the Astros eventually won.

Just as an aside, I have been a White Sox fan since the 50s and had avoided watching the playoff games in 2005, the year they beat Houston in the World Series.
The Sox only lost one game during the entire playoffs, want to guess which one I watched.

I was rooting for Cleveland last year and watched the last game.

Adhering to my word in my prior post, I stopped watching (online) tonight and I now see that the Astros won.
Congratulations on their World Series win.

You seem to have mystical powers over this universe. Perhaps you should start a cult.

Wink

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Incredible series with the best possible outcome!

Here in Houston people were lined up at Academy Sports last night even before the game ended. On my way to work this morning, there were hundreds of people lined up to get in.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
"World Series CHAMPION Houston Astros." Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
Incredible series with the best possible outcome!

Here in Houston people were lined up at Academy Sports last night even before the game ended. On my way to work this morning, there were hundreds of people lined up to get in.

It was a terrific series, certainly among the best ever.

I had the feeling the Astros were for real when the 3rd baseman made a perfect throw to home to nail the Yankee runner in the play offs. It was a sign God was on their side.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gee, that's too bad for New New Mexico.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A. J. Hinch

quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) About a dozen years ago, A.J. Hinch figured out his future in baseball wasn’t behind the plate.

”When you don’t hit a slider consistently, you’re not going to play very long,” he recalled Wednesday. ”And there’s only so far personality can take you as a backup catcher.”

Charisma, however, is nearly everything in an era when many dugout decisions are delegated to front-office administrators analyzing stacks of statistics. The Astros’ manager motivated his players, soothed them and charmed them to a runaway title in the AL West and then to the first World Series championship in Houston’s 56-season history, capped by a 5-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7 on Wednesday night.

”I will run through a wall for that guy any day,” Series MVP George Springer said.

Hinch is Houston’s 18th manager in a line that began with Harry Craft, included personalities such as Harry Walker and Leo Durocher, Manager of the Year winners Hal Lanier and Larry Dierker, and Phil Garner, who led the Astros to their first pennant in 2005. The very model of a modern dugout major general, Hinch is the first to earn a Series ring for Space City.

”My job is to push them when they need to be pushed, to hug them when they need to be hugged, to believe in them always, and set a culture where they’ll believe in themselves and they’ll prioritize winning,” Hinch said, his T-shirt soaked and the stench of bubbly surrounding him.

”The players are really what makes the sport go. And the more you can get out of them, the more you can get them to trust in you, believe in you as a leader, the better you’ll be as a manager,” he explained. ”I’m not sure you know that right out of the chute when you first get one of these jobs. At least for me as a young guy, I didn’t appreciate what it took to put your heart and soul into the players and let them see you for who you are, and in return ask them to be themselves.”

Now 43, Hinch took an unusual path to the big leagues.

Drafted as a high school senior by the Chicago White Sox in the second round in 1992, he elected to attend Stanford. Selected three years later by the Minnesota Twins in the third round, the psychology major decided to stay in school and get his bachelor’s degree.

He finally signed when picked by the Oakland Athletics in the third round in 1996. After earning a bronze medal with the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, Hinch made it the major leagues two years later and played six seasons that included time with Kansas City (2001-02), Detroit (2003) and Philadelphia (2004).

He hit .213 with 32 homers and 112 RBIs – not in a season but in his big league career – and stopped playing at age 31 after spending 2005 with the Phillies’ Triple-A team at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was hired that November as manager of minor league operations for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Promoted to director of player development, Hinch was a week shy of his 35th birthday when he replaced Bob Melvin in Arizona and became the majors’ youngest manager.

”He brings unique leadership and perspective to the job,” then-general manager Josh Byrnes said. ”We’re not here to reinvent the wheel, but to change the nature of the job a little bit.”

Hinch wasn’t sure his psychology degree would be an asset in the dugout.

”I think it’s more about having a rough major league career might help me more relate to these guys that go through the mental anguish of the failure of our game,” he said. ”My job is to get the most out of guys, and a lot of times my job is sort of the emotional psychological support that it takes to get the most out of these guys.”

Fired along with Byrnes just before the All-Star break in 2010, Hinch spent four years as San Diego’s vice president of professional scouting. He was 40 when the Astros hired him.

”So I feel old and experienced,” he said.

He took over a team that went 70-92 and led it to a wild-card berth and its first playoff appearance in a decade in 2015. He melded the young stars with veterans seemingly seamlessly, a combination that led Houston to 101 wins this season, one shy of the team record, a major league-high 21-game division lead and a pair of Game 7 wins in the postseason.

”It’s really fun to play behind a guy like this,” second baseman Jose Altuve said. ”OK, he trusts me, but if I do something that is wrong or something, he’s going to get out there and let me know. But he let us know what we have to do in the best way he could do it. Never lies. He never disrespects his players.”

After Springer went 0 for 4 with four strikeouts in the opener, Hinch sent his leadoff hitter a text.

”Just said to kind of enjoy this, because this is the best time of our baseball life,” Springer said. ”And he stuck with me. He stuck by me.”

Springer sparked the Astros with a leadoff double in Game 7 and went on to tie the World Series record of five home runs and set the mark for extra-base hits with eight while batting .379 with seven RBIs.

”For him to have my back, it means the world to me. And I’ll always have his back,” Springer said. ”And that just shows who he is.”

It brings to mind the pasta commercial Tommy LaSorda made years ago.

“How’d you make it to the majors, Tommy?”

“Oh, I managed,” LaSorda says.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Todd - That's an awesome meme!

I sure wish the Dodgers knew that game 7 was last night..

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That was a great series. One of the things that stands out for me was how few errors were made by both teams.

Between the NFL fiasco and this World Series I think viewership will grow for baseball overall in the future.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
GREAT choice of Springer for the series MVP. My runner-up had to be Bregman, whom I hope is in the running for a Gold Glove Award this year.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
That was a great series. One of the things that stands out for me was how few errors were made by both teams.

Between the NFL fiasco and this World Series I think viewership will grow for baseball overall in the future.

Jim

The more so as these men acted like responsible, likeable, fun loving men, credits to the species, instead of irresponsible self absorbed thugs.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You know, listening to Joe Buck as the game went on really annoyed me. You can tell this guy is partial to the Dodgers. He kept bemoaning the fact that the Dodgers leaving tons of men stranded on bases, all the while giving no credit to the Astros' defense. Hey Joe, they got stuck there because the other team kept them there. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post