New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beef cows Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I wouldn't say Angus has "better beef" than say Hereford (or any other beef breed for that matter), but the Angus beef marketing campaign of the last 25 years has been one of the most successful campaigns I have ever witnessed.

I wouldn't worry too much about slight differences in aggressiveness either, whatever breed you try will be in your small pasture, see you a lot, and should be gentle to work around in no time.

For what you're describing, I would buy whatever looks good to you at the sale--commercial herd crosses, typically black baldy, but could be crossed on about anything i.e. Simmental, Charolais, Gelbvieh, etc. etc.

If you plan on selling a steer or two, or a weaned calf--I'd go Angus cross; cattle buyers like black cattle. That said, you don't need registered anything.

Good advice right there.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pro tip: refer to them as "beeves" or "beef critters".

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW had a herd of black angus until her father died and we got rid of all but one, which we kept as a pet.

There usually had about a dozen or so on roughly 30 acres of fenced pasture. They pretty much took care of themselves. Only had to keep water in the barn and made sure they had hay when snow was on the ground.

Easy peasy.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my229
posted Hide Post
I have had experiences raising several purebred and crossbreed cattle. For the most part an Angus and a Charolais, Hereford or Simmental will all taste the same. Most of the characteristics of beef are derived from consumption.

We had great success with simmental and limousine cattle. If you are located in the south I'd suggest at least an eighth of Brahman for heat tolerance. Many continental European breeds have been crossed with Brahman to achieve "hybrid vigor" achieving a superior offspring by mating two different parents.

Good examples would be Simbrah, Brangus, Charbray and Beefmaster.
Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have the right as individuals to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to appropriate a dollar of the public money."
Davy Crockett

Posts: 1209 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Limosin beef was some of the most tender, and tasty I have ever eaten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limousin_cattle

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post