Find
Notify
Tools

Beef cows Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Do we have any beef cow experts? We are looking to buy a beef cow or two, we are moving into my grandmother's house till we sell/build ours on 40 acres. The pasture at my grandmother's is probably 5-6 acres.

My question is what breed would you guys suggest? I read were black angus are little more aggressive than say herefords but they have better beef. We are open to suggestions and advice.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's been a number of years for me but I always raised Holstein steers for beef. They look like a a skeleton with a black and white blanket thrown over them while out in pasture but it was the best tasting beef I ever had.

I also raised Herefords also known as white face but I thought the Holsteins were much better.
I made the switch on the advice of my butcher at the time. He had been doing it for years.

I purchased them at about a year old and continued to feed them calf starter along with allowing them to pasture for the first couple months and then weaning them off the starter to strictly grass for the last 6 months before butcher.

Not saying this will work for you but it did for me at the time.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
My Uncle raised Black Angus, but he would be out in the field with them every day so they stayed nice and calm. He didn't want them running around burning off the fat he was trying to put on them.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charolais are good. Depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I grew up raising Angus every year, although one year we did Charolais. They were all alfalfa fed and finished with a good 3-way. Best beef I've ever eaten and I don't recall ever having them be aggressive. The only thing that ever got them riled up was when my brother and I tried to ride them, so I wouldn't suggest doing that. Big Grin Otherwise, Angus are fine.

I have been chased by big pissed off Angus bulls, mind you, but never steers.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Holstein steers make great beef. The Dairy breeds can carry more meat, and do well on grass, and will be cheaper to buy as dairy farms like to get rid of the bull calves.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to have a rind of flavorful fat on your steak, go with any of the older beef breeds like Hereford, Angus, Charolais or crosses of them.
If you are looking for the less fat, more lean type of beef, any of the dairy breeds, such as Holstein, Jersey, Brown Swiss or crosses.
It depends a lot on what is availabe for sale locally and your feed/pasture and what your ultimate expectations are when you do butcher your own production.
I personally do not care much for the lean and less fat variety, but a lot of people do.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Regardless of breed, pure grass fed will be tasteless.

You have to give a good mix of feed - "a good 3-way" as Gustofer says - the last two-three months.

I buy half a steer every couple of years, and lambs, from my butcher to supplement everything else I buy from him - let him do all the work, after all, undoing the freezer paper is work enough. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Trusting my Texan grandfather and great-grandfather and my experiences, I would consider polled Herefords bulls breed with Hereford and Angus cows as old school breed options for the purpose of food. Angus lineage bulls can be aggressive, so they were turned into steers with pocket knives.

My grandfather hated Brahman, especially neighboring Brahman bulls.

I studied Charolais in school. They seemed like a good idea, but I have no experience with them.

I'll edit to add that Angus seemed aggressive relative to Herefords. I used to literally butt heads with an Angus heifer and even did so when she became a cow. I suffered no injuries.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charolais

Great beef. My family has been raising them for 40+ years. There are 2-300 head on the farm my dad manages and he isn't out there with them all the time, so they aren't the most docile things, but if you have more interaction with them, they can be quite gentle. Never quite like Angus. Don't like the texture and it isn't as flavorful to me. None of the ones I have ever been around were crotchety, they were actually quite easy to work.

Any of the heritage breeds will be hardy, but 5-6 acres of pasture isn't much (especially for 2), unless supplemented with grain or hay. A Dexter is about the smallest breed that I can think of and 1-2 of those would be suitable for that small parcel. Some of the other breeds I can't tell you much about but they may be better suited for a small lot. One aspect that people overlook is how much water a cow drinks in a day. Some breeds go upwards of 30 gallons of water per day and that can tax a small well with ease.

Something else to consider are goats & sheep. Less food and water intake on a daily basis than a cow.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Ask for steers, not cows

B) Much of the temper can be due to strain. We bred Line 1 Domino Herefords, but the Western ones were different in behavior and temper than the Eastern ones.

And, a high quality Hereford looks nothing like the mongrel ones.

I think Dexters are nifty, but never professionally worked with cattle. My father did, and found them deeply upsetting.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Regardless of breed, pure grass fed will be tasteless.

I respectfully, and STRONGLY disagree. My father-in-law has raised prize bloodline, registered Hereford cattle for the last 50+ years, going straight grassfed for the last 25 or so.

The taste from his, and other grassfed herds I've eaten from, is much more pronounced than anything commodity/industrial farm raised (and typical grain-finished) that I've eaten most anywhere. I have friends that raise Red Angus, others that raise Black Angus, and they also agree.

Corn is used as an efficient weight gain mechanism, typically converting to fat; but not even typically true marbling in feedlot finishing scenarios, more intramuscular. Don't get me wrong, I love good amounts of fat on and in my beef, but it doesn't contribute to flavor as much as it does perceived "juiciness" when it melts, and provides a more forgiving window for a steak not seeming dry.

Properly cooked (which does take a different technique), a grassfed steak has a much more pronounced flavor than its grain finished counterpart. That said, I have a friend who bought a side of grassfed Angus from his neighbor, and found it "too beefy tasting" for his palate. Like any food, different tastes aren't for everyone, but tasteless is not a word most anyone I know would use to describe grassfed beef.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
It's been a number of years for me but I always raised Holstein steers for beef. They look like a a skeleton with a black and white blanket thrown over them while out in pasture but it was the best tasting beef I ever had.

I also raised Herefords also known as white face but I thought the Holsteins were much better.
I made the switch on the advice of my butcher at the time. He had been doing it for years.

I purchased them at about a year old and continued to feed them calf starter along with allowing them to pasture for the first couple months and then weaning them off the starter to strictly grass for the last 6 months before butcher.

Not saying this will work for you but it did for me at the time.

This is pretty much my experience as well. Like lastman, it's been years since we raised beef but we discovered raising Holsteins for great flavor via our butcher as well. Our pastures had a lot of clover mixed in with the grass and that helped with the fat content. In the fall I'd drive around the area picking finished corn stalks from neighboring gardens to finish them off to add fat. They'd eat the whole thing, leaving only the root ball. It made the fat a little yellowish, but really worked for us.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Any of the heritage breeds will be hardy, but 5-6 acres of pasture isn't much (especially for 2), unless supplemented with grain or hay. ... Some breeds go upwards of 30 gallons of water per day and that can tax a small well with ease.

Those are two very good points. 5-6 acres is not enough to pasture without cattle feed and / or hay. Even with much more land than that, my grandfather still supplemented his cattle's diet with cattle feed year round.

As for water, there used to be Federal subsidies for drilling a water well for livestock. Avoiding politics, I would guess those subsidies still exist, although there may be acreage requirements.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
5-6 acres of pasture may be enough depending upon the quality and type of grass and soil. Some areas are more lush than others. For the size of steer you're talking about I'd say you can easily do 2 head and possibly three as they'll only be 400 pounds or so a piece. Plenty of clean water is very important as well. I'm going grass only on mine for the first time. Hopefully this fall I'll let you know how it turns out.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have mostly polled Herefords, and a couple of black Angus cows. The Herefords are much more calm and gentle. The Angus are flighty, and test the fences more.

Back in my youth, the Herefords were the dominant breed in this area. Folks were not so concerned about daily weight gain, they were worried about their wives and children getting hurt around the cattle.

I can tell no difference in the taste of the two breeds.

They are grass fed and most folks think they taste better than grain finished. We have customers whose children will not eat store bought ground beef.

Buy two or three weanling heifers and they will be old enough to breed when you are ready to move to your larger place. Build an 8'X12' three sided shed on skids for shelter now, and you can take that with you, too.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
pure grass fed will be tasteless.

If you want grass fed, shoot a deer.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say Angus has "better beef" than say Hereford (or any other beef breed for that matter), but the Angus beef marketing campaign of the last 25 years has been one of the most successful campaigns I have ever witnessed.

I wouldn't worry too much about slight differences in aggressiveness either, whatever breed you try will be in your small pasture, see you a lot, and should be gentle to work around in no time.

For what you're describing, I would buy whatever looks good to you at the sale--commercial herd crosses, typically black baldy, but could be crossed on about anything i.e. Simmental, Charolais, Gelbvieh, etc. etc.

If you plan on selling a steer or two, or a weaned calf--I'd go Angus cross; cattle buyers like black cattle. That said, you don't need registered anything.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for all the experience I appreciate it all. We have lots of thinking to do now.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My in-laws have been dairy farmers for decades as well. They mainly raise Holsteins and self-breed.

For what it's worth:

They keep 10-20% Jerseys milking at all times for milk-fat levels. The Jersey steers that they butcher boast some of the best steak I've ever had in my life. I have no scientific evidence to provide, only the fact that at Sunday dinner we can all tell if the steaks are Holstein or Jersey.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post