SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you carry eye drops all the time? Leave them in your vehicle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry eye drops all the time? Leave them in your vehicle? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I've been talking to a friend this evening, and the conversation turned to eye drops. She carries some all the time because she wears contacts. I keep some around in the springtime, thanks to pollen and allergies. I'm sure she's got a bottle in her purse, and in the springtime I usually keep a bottle in a pocket.

My friend mentioned she keeps a bottle in her car too, and then we wondered whether that's actually a good thing, due to temperature swings. I know most medicines have a "preferred storage" temperature range; I figure eye drops are no exception.

But if either of us wanted to keep a spare bottle in the car, would a small insulated bag help any? Maybe it would help lessen the effect of temperature variation? Or maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think it does?

What do you know, SF?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I keep the small bottle in my pocket all the time, as well as my contacts case with fresh fluid.

Those little "jellyfish" need a swim at the worst times, so, I have learned to accommodate them.

A small cooler or even a "Yeti" style drink holder/cup with ice and a baggy for meds, should be an easy thing, to take in a vehicle.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Carry mine in backpack. I wouldn't put any meds in the vehicle for storage. Summertime heat would likely affect its integrity.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't wear contacts, but I do keep a bottle in my car, work vehicle, and fiancée's SUV. Allergies are a bitch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Since posting, I've been surfing Amazon. It seems there are a number of small insulated bags/packs aimed at those who carry insulin. I wonder if something like that would help.

Like this, perhaps.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep my drops in my pocket. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I keep some in my laptop bag, which is with me most of the time.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was still a working pharmacist folks would ask me how to travel with insulin in the summer, my answer was to get a small thermos put their insulin and a few needles in a plastic bag with a few alcohol swabs and some paper towels (to absorb condensation) and a couple of ice cubes. The same thing would work with any meds that you wanted to keep in your vehicle short term. Yes most meds do have a temperature warning and high heat will cause them to break down faster, so a vehicle is not a good place to keep stuff that is temperature sensitive.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have some in my car and bag I take to work. I don't carry them on my person.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I get dry eyes occasionally due to Lasik surgery. I always carry drops either in my pocket or my bag. But, As mentioned, I never leave drops in my car because of the temperature.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I have had lense replacement in both eyes, that and age has lead to a dry eye problem. I carry two or three of the “individual servings” eye drops in a shirt pocket. My doctor recommended these over a bottle of fluid due to possible contamination problems.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I keep eye drops in my bag. Having had Lasik 4 years ago, I still get dry eyes sometimes.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I do keep drops in my car. I have them in my pocket when traveling or away from the car.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a small bottle in my pocket all of the time.....one never knows when one will need a drop or two!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
In my lunchbox and Get-Home bag.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Carry mine in backpack. I wouldn't put any meds in the vehicle for storage. Summertime heat would likely affect its integrity.

I have opted not to get my meds mailed even though it would cost less for the same reason. When I asked my doctor, he said don't worry about it, they sit in a hot warehouse and then in box trucks and mail trucks. I still think the heat affects them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
and Get-Home bag.

A prime example of my original question (assuming your get-home bag stays in your car).

If your get-home bag stays in your car, and your eye drops are in there, do you keep them in an insulated bag or something to help avoid the effect of wide temperature swings?

God bless America.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My GHB actually doesn't stay in my truck. I carry it out the door in the morning, & into my job when I get there. The reverse in the afternoon, coming home. Occasionally it'll be in there for fifteen minutes or so if I need to go into the store. I don't want my eye drops nor radio batteries to cook unnecessarily in the Las Vegas sun. So, no, I don't leave them in the car.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't wear contacts but I always have the following in my pants pockets:

A handkerchief
A bottle of refresh for my eyes - never know when you get something in your eyes or what I call eye mucus.
and chapstick. I just have to make sure that I scrunch my eyes together a bit and to not purse my lips while I'm using it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post