SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Would Cause A Propane Tank to Do This?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Would Cause A Propane Tank to Do This? Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm confused a bit. If you mean that the propane tank valve was open and the grill valve was also open. Then of course you have propane wherever you have air movement. And the smell added to propane is detectable at very very low levels (that's the reason they use it). But (and I'm saying this as a firefighter) anybody who doesn't shut off a gas grill tank (not the valve on the grill) is really not paying attention to the risks.

I’ve never turned the tank off in all the years (more than 15) I’ve been using a propane grill. Never a problem, and I did not foresee this happening. How the gas got turned on at the grill is beyond me. It’s off at the tank now, and it will stay that way.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Definitely close both the tank valve and the burners off after every use. Besides getting bumped open, you can also have hoses leak and if you have an enclosure under you gas grill you can have an explosion when you click the igniter.

Additionally, every spring you should soap the hoses and fittings to look for gas leaks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys ever heard of R290 (CARE 40)? Yes, it's a refrigerant and its propane!

Any refrigerant bottle that I've ever worked with becomes cold when the qaseous refrigerant is allowed to escape. If the liquid (bottom) portion of the bottle falls below the ambient dew (or frost) point the exterior of the bottle "sweats" (or frosts).

This phenomenon is no "mystery" to anyone who has worked with refrigerants.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Ok, a couple of photos to show how difficult it would be for an animal to turn the grill on, but unless there is someone in the neighborhood with a sick sense of humor, I have no clue as to how the grill got turned on. Pardon the look of the cover, but dogs and cats all seem to claim it as theirs. Never caught one in the act... yet.

The bottom photo shows the knob in the off position, so you can see how far the knob needs to be turned to get it into the on position.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Do you have children?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Do you have children?

flashguy

No. Just a couple of 70 somethings and a cat.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
Poltergeist.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
quote:
Do you have children?

flashguy

OK. Is one of the 70-somethings a somnambulist? Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
quote:
Do you have children?

flashguy

OK. Is one of the 70-somethings a somnambulist? Smile

flashguy

Negative. We’re both wide awake when raiding the fridge at 3am. Razz

---------------
Gary