SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Would Cause A Propane Tank to Do This?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Would Cause A Propane Tank to Do This? Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Something died under my house. Worse in the bathroom. It’s not unusual about once a year for a mouse or rat to die in the walls of the bathroom. When I stepped outside onto the front porch, the smell was much stronger, but smelled more like propane. The grill is kept on the front porch. Convenient to the kitchen. Out of curiosity, I lifted the cover off the grill and heard a hiss. I discovered that the gas was turned on high somehow. It hasn’t been used in over a week and the smell just started today. I know I turned if off after using it last cause I run a brush over the grill right after turning it off. If I turn the grill off, the hissing goes away. The tank still feels about half full, so it somehow got turned on last night. Does someone have a warped sense of humor?

Why would the outside of the tank be wet on the upper part and covered in ice crystals on the bottom part?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
No clue how it got turned on, but the icing is normal when those small tanks see a high draw. I tried to run a propane "torpedo" heater off a 20 pounder and got exactly the same effect on the outside of the tank.

As propane decompresses from a liquid to a gas, it gets REALLY cold.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the air temp close to freezing? My guess, the ice level is the level of liquid propane in the tank. The venting lowered pressure and reduced the temperature inside, like when you spray a can of compressed air, it gets cold!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:

Why would the outside of the tank be wet on the upper part and covered in ice crystals on the bottom part?

The propane in the tank is actually liquefied under pressure. It boils off to release gas. With your leak, the pressure was relieved, and the liquid propane boiled off quickly, sucking heat out of the tank, and the surrounding air, to do so - making the tank colder.

The ice line is probably the level of propane in the tank.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It turns back into a gas by 'boiling' into gas vapour. ... This, in turn, makes the gas bottle feel colder than the ambient temperature. The gas bottle gets even colder when you are actually using the gas. So, with sufficient humidity and when you are using gas very rapidly, condensation or ice can form on the gas bottle

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
From experiance the frost line is where the gas is. As the propane is used the stuff gets colder.
I have compressed cans of air to clean keyboards and such. As I use it the bottom gets cold. I had a frien that used canned air for a spray gun. He put the can into a cup of hot water to keep the pressure up.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. Outside temp is currently 50 degrees and raining.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The part where the ice is would be the level of the liquid propane in the tank. I've seen this happen to a tank when it's used for a long period at a high rate. Mostly when a tank was connected to a portable propane heater that was cranking out heat.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I turned the grill off about 15 minutes ago, but left the tank on. All the frost is gone leaving a puddle of water on the front porch. I just turned the tank off and put the cover back on. It had to have taken quite an effort to turn the gas on at the grill. Probably going to leave the trail cam out there for a while.

---------------
Gary

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems interesting for sure, I haven't used propane in a long time, but the tanks do make nice targets for 460 S&W, 50AE, etc...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed that when the tank is filled it gets warm or hot? Compressing a gas increases the temperature; expanding a gas decreases the temperature (the principle of air conditioners, among other things). Rapidly expanding gasses cool rapidly. On a day with high humidity, water condenses on a surface that's cooler than the dewpoint of the atmosphere (the temperature to which the air must be cooled to be 100% saturated). You see condensation on the top half, and frozen condensation where a rapid temperature dropped as the tank emptied and the vapor pressure in the tank decreased.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K...irplane/glussac.html

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
When the Thresher submarine went down off the coast of Cape Cod in 1963, the Navy found in the accident reconstruction what you found on the propane tank.
When Thresher did an emergency blow, the valve oriface the compressed air flowed through was too small and the air had too much moisture in it causing the valves to freeze shut.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t say how your gas got turned on. But you should be turning it off at the propane tank first then the grill. I wouldn’t leave the propane tank valve on unless you are cooking off and on in a few hours time.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My sister was nearly killed from the cat walking on the stove top in the middle of the night and turning the gas on.

Got any critters in the yard?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’ve never noticed a propane tank getting warm when it has just been filled.

I’ve had this tank sitting on the front porch for I don’t know how many years. More than 15, that’s for sure, and I never turn it off at the tank and have never had a problem, except the time I did leave it on low and forgot to turn it off. Didn’t discover that till the next time I went to grill something.

There is a tin foil drip pan under the grill that mice or rats will get into once in a while and make a huge mess. They will rip the pan into pieces and throw them all over the place causing grease to drip all over the place. As for turning the grill knob to on would seem to be impossible by any animal. I suppose it’s possible for a mouse to step on it right and spin it, but it would have to spin a long ways. I’ll see if I can remember to take a photo of the knob tomorrow.

---------------
Gary

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
PV/T = (Pressure x Volume) / Temperature

As pressure and volume goes down, temperature has to go down. Lowering temperature causes the condensation to form first. As the temperature continues to go down, the water freezes starting from the bottom.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I’ve never noticed a propane tank getting warm when it has just been filled.

Correct. Propane tanks are filled by transferring liquid propane from one container to another. Gas pressure is vented as the liquid goes in. There is no compression and no heat generated.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You're smelling propane in the bathroom/house?

Be careful!

Do you have a crawl space or basement?

Propane is heavier than air.

If it's settled in a low spot in the house, it could explode from any sort of ignition source, any spark.

EDIT: GET OUT. CALL 911. Request emergency electrical cutoff by the power company at the pole before it gets to your house!

I'd get All the power cut, out away from the house. Open crawlspace, basement, doors, windows. Get the hell out! Call 911

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’ll admit, it got dangerous in the house for a little while and I may have been a little nonchalant about it at first. Once I realized what was going on and I got the propane shut off, the house has been aired out. I’ve since cooked dinner with a propane supplied gas stove. How it got to the bathroom, I’ll never figure it out. Must have got under the house and the wind carried it back there and it smelled like something died in there. Didn’t smell like propane at all, but once the kitchen and living room started smelling like propane it confused me at first. Where was it coming from and why did it have a propane smell to it. I have the tank shut off now.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
I'm confused a bit. If you mean that the propane tank valve was open and the grill valve was also open. Then of course you have propane wherever you have air movement. And the smell added to propane is detectable at very very low levels (that's the reason they use it). But (and I'm saying this as a firefighter) anybody who doesn't shut off a gas grill tank (not the valve on the grill) is really not paying attention to the risks.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post