SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral home offers drive-thru viewing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral home offers drive-thru viewing Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I'm just going to throw this out there Roll Eyes

When Ryan Bernard bought the old bank building in Orange Mound, he found an unusual use for the drive-thru window.

Bernard, owner of R. Bernard Funeral Services, offers grieving loved ones the chance to pay their last respects conveniently from their car. Guests drive up and view the body through a bullet-proof window. The drive-thru visitation service is a mobile spin on the traditional wake.

"I got the idea a couple of years back when I was out in California. It caught my attention. I thought it was neat and thought I could bring it back to Memphis and this area," Bernard said. "Being in Memphis, we are surrounded by a lot of big-name funeral homes that have been around for 100 years, so being the new kid on the block, so to speak, I needed something unique to make me stand apart."

In addition to novelty, Bernard said that the drive-thru viewings offer accessibility and convenience.

"It helps out those that lack (physical) mobility, those who don't feel like the hassle of parking cars and getting out or those who are scared to come into a funeral home,” said Bernard. “A lot of funeral homes creep people out.”

The drive-thru visitation is not a new concept, but the business at 2764 Lamar Ave. is one of the first to offer the service in the Mid-South. A few funeral homes outside of the Memphis also offer the service. On the west coast, Robert L. Adams Mortuary in Compton, California, also advertises drive-thru viewings.

In the Midwest, Paradise Funeral Chapel in Saginaw, Michigan, began offering drive-thru visitations in 2014.

"When we first started it, everybody was talking about it and it was a big deal," said Ivan Phillips, owner of Paradise Funeral Chapel. "Things have now calmed down, and we use the service two to three times a week."

Bernard said since he opened his funeral home in January, six families have selected the drive-thru option. The service is part of the funeral packages and offered at no additional charge.

"We still have traditional visitation services," Bernard said. "The drive-thru is just an added bonus for your family member. It is up to the family to decide if they want this option."

The drive-thru service typically lasts one hour. A black-and-gold sign that reads “Drive Thru Viewing” directs visitors to a driveway where they are greeted by an employee holding an iPad. The iPad serves as an electronic update to the pen-and-paper guestbook. The employee also collects condolence cards and gifts for the family.

After the check-in, the visitor drives through a gated area. The flat concrete overhang offers shade and privacy as guests peer into the window to pay their final respects. Each car gets approximately three minutes alone with the body in the window, before the next carload of visitors come through.

Bernard said reaction has been mostly positive, but others have said they find it disrespectful. Jackson, Tennessee, funeral home owner Bob Arrington falls in the latter camp.

"In my opinion, I don't think the body should be put on display like a new car," said Arrington,who is also the former president of the National Funeral Directors Association.

"I think if it was to catch on, so to speak, it would be geographical," Arrington said. " I think one of the last ones to do it would be in the South because we are so traditional and so tightly wrapped to the Bible Belt."

The Memphis funeral home director said that drive-thru visitation is simply one of the many innovations that he hopes to bring to R. Bernard Funeral Services and the Memphis market. He has already added live streaming of funerals and in the next few months cremation will be offered.

"The funeral industry is always changing every year. I keep the old traditional funeral stuff and try to add new stuff to it,” added Bernard. "I am 41 year old. I am not out just to market to the grandmas and grandpas, I am trying to get the millennials and the baby boomers too.”

http://www.commercialappeal.co...ru-viewing/98845648/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What's the problem? Have to get the ball game. So, just drive bye-bye on the way.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Y'all know what Leo Getz says about that...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
That bullet proof window sounds like a great idea down in the 'Hood.....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guests drive up and view the body through a bullet-proof window.

Love that bullet proof glass. Visit the drive through after your drive by. That way you are safe from the other gang who may be looking for you and can make a quick getaway if needed. Chicago needs one on every street corner.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Love that bullet proof glass. Visit the drive through after your drive by. That way you are safe from the other gang who may be looking for you and can make a quick getaway if needed. Chicago needs one on every street corner.

Yeh, someone might just want to get one last shot in.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
They need to be prepared for the car that holds everybody up as they try to place their order.

"Hello? 3 Big Mac meals please. 2 cokes and a root beer. And supersize those please. Hello?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Online viewing will be the next big thing. Just download the app to your smart phone.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not much into "viewing? as I think it is rather crass. This just takes it to an all time low. Why is the world so full of stupid people?

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
On the west coast, Robert L. Adams Mortuary in Compton, California, also advertises drive-thru viewings.

In Compton? Perfect. Drive-thru viewings for all the drive-by shooting victims.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Why not also off a viewing for those who need to fly in from out of town? I suggest "Mourning Mondays," where the bereaved out-of-towners can line up around a designated baggage carousel at an arranged time, ready for the cadavers shoot out, slide down the ramp and ride around the carousel so the grieving can pay their last respects before flying back home.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Can I get a cold one to go?"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Gatlins Funeral Home, 10100 Bk of South Halsted.

Drive thru CCTV monitor.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bulletproof glass.....like are the gang bangers going to drive through and shoot the dead guy again????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Bulletproof glass.....like are the gang bangers going to drive through and shoot the dead guy again????

Honest answer: Yep.

Not that uncommon for a rival gang to bust up the Funeral. Shoot at people (or Folks for those that get the joke) in the Funeral Home, and shoot up the body again.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Online viewing will be the next big thing. Just download the app to your smart phone.

I fear you've given us a glimpse into the near future.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. This started at least 20 years ago, but not widely done.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
On the west coast, Robert L. Adams Mortuary in Compton, California, also advertises drive-thru viewings.

Or to confirm your kill.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's a hint. If you're so damn self-involved you can't spare some time to come and say goodbye to a deceased friend or loved one in a respectful way, don't bother.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Or to confirm your kill.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post