SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bullied Whopper Jr vs Bullied High School Jr.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Bullied Whopper Jr vs Bullied High School Jr. Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
It looks like it came out a year ago, but I do not recall seeing it.

Watch all the way to the end to see the sad statistics.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mnKPEsbTo9s



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 16456 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I always treat hamburgers with kindness as I cook them on the grill and eat them.

(What I'm saying is, the "stand up against bullying" philosophy may be good, but the "bullied hamburger" analogy was lame.)
 
Posts: 4115 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The video states 30% of children are bullied today. Honest question. Is that higher than the percentage of children bullied 30 years ago? My point is, this is nothing new, as kids have been tormenting each other forever. But is it really a bigger problem today than in the past, or is the culture that much weaker than it was thirty years ago?


-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
 
Posts: 26634 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The video states 30% of children are bullied today. Honest question. Is that higher than the percentage of children bullied 30 years ago? My point is, this is nothing new, as kids have been tormenting each other forever. But is it really a bigger problem today than in the past, or is the culture that much weaker than it was thirty years ago?


What difference does it make?
 
Posts: 867 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal: Is that higher than the percentage of children bullied 30 years ago? My point is, this is nothing new, as kids have been tormenting each other forever. But is it really a bigger problem today than in the past, or is the culture that much weaker than it was thirty years ago?


I think it is probably about the same, but the definition of "bullying" has been expanded.
 
Posts: 7406 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The difference is that 20 years ago and beyond kids were taught, and in some cases forced, to stick up for themselves. This taught both the bully and the bullied valuable lessons. Today being a victim is an accepted status in most instances.


______________________________
“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”
― John Wayne
 
Posts: 5999 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a sad commentary



Participating in a gun buy back program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison


 
Posts: 47184 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing you were never bullied over a significant time frame (years). Bullied kids seldom tell anyone its happening. They certainly don’t look at it as some sort of victim status.
 
Posts: 867 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Yeah- I don't think things are different now than they were then. I was bullied until I had a decent growth spurt and started sports/lifting weights. After that the only bullying ended in a fight that I won.

It's just part of growing up. Some kids are bullied and some aren't. My wife says she was never bullied.

I had a brother 8 years older than me, so I got hammered at home too. He could punch me in the shoulder in a way that left a knot in my muscle...frogging I think we called it.

I finally got bigger than him and kicked his ass and then that was over too. Violence isn't always the answer, but it sure helps sometimes. Be strong or be smart or better yet - both.


------------------
SBrooks
 
Posts: 3014 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this.


Columbia River Knife and tool Overstock Blow Out @ /below Dealer cost! 6 different $45 NEW MODELS ADDED!
HERE:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350086644#3350086644
 
Posts: 6024 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Seems to me bullying starts with parents. My parents taught me values. I was taught to respect others and look after people who were vulnerable. They discussed it with me and they also taught by example.

Kids who bully other kids - not good natured teasing that kids go through but malicious bullying - generally have parents who can't be bothered to teach their kids how to be decent people or who teach them the wrong lessons by being poor examples.
 
Posts: 5025 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I’m guessing you were never bullied over a significant time frame (years). Bullied kids seldom tell anyone its happening. They certainly don’t look at it as some sort of victim status.


I was bullied a few times but it was always for a very short period. Got my ass whipped a few times and did the ass whipping a few other times. Once had an older kid bully me on the bus, one day my older cousin was waiting for him at the bus stop and that was that.

My dad told me as a kid, don't start anything but finish everything. That was the norm in my area at that time, still the norm at my house. If there was a big age or size discrepancy then a brother, cousin or uncle would step in.


______________________________
“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”
― John Wayne
 
Posts: 5999 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Yeah- I don't think things are different now than they were then. I was bullied until I had a decent growth spurt and started sports/lifting weights. After that the only bullying ended in a fight that I won.

It's just part of growing up. Some kids are bullied and some aren't. My wife says she was never bullied.

I had a brother 8 years older than me, so I got hammered at home too. He could punch me in the shoulder in a way that left a knot in my muscle...frogging I think we called it.

I finally got bigger than him and kicked his ass and then that was over too. Violence isn't always the answer, but it sure helps sometimes. Be strong or be smart or better yet - both.


Problem is, modern zero tolerance policies mean a punch to the mouth is an automatic suspension of expulsion.

Where I graduated high school, one fight, and you were suspended for a week. One more and you were gone. Didn't matter why. Didn't matter who started it. Didn't matter how badly the kid was tormented. He dared throw a punch - or return one - the world fell on his head.

It's all well and good to say "fight back" until fighting back means your 4.0 GPA just earned you at best Vo-Ed or a military enlistment because no college, ROTC program, or service academy will touch you. Not with a line around the block of kids with 3.0 GPAs and no disciplinary problems.


----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.
 
Posts: 5177 | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I’m guessing you were never bullied over a significant time frame (years). Bullied kids seldom tell anyone its happening. They certainly don’t look at it as some sort of victim status.


I was bullied a few times but it was always for a very short period. Got my ass whipped a few times and did the ass whipping a few other times. Once had an older kid bully me on the bus, one day my older cousin was waiting for him at the bus stop and that was that.

My dad told me as a kid, don't start anything but finish everything. That was the norm in my area at that time, still the norm at my house. If there was a big age or size discrepancy then a brother, cousin or uncle would step in.


Same speech I got. Same results.
 
Posts: 6061 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sweet Tapdancing Jesus! Terrible to think that standing-up to a bully would tarnish your (probably meaningless) 4.0 GPA and force you to join the military. It might even ruin your chance at a career with the Portland PD.
 
Posts: 291 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Yeah- I don't think things are different now than they were then. I was bullied until I had a decent growth spurt and started sports/lifting weights. After that the only bullying ended in a fight that I won.

It's just part of growing up. Some kids are bullied and some aren't. My wife says she was never bullied.

I had a brother 8 years older than me, so I got hammered at home too. He could punch me in the shoulder in a way that left a knot in my muscle...frogging I think we called it.

I finally got bigger than him and kicked his ass and then that was over too. Violence isn't always the answer, but it sure helps sometimes. Be strong or be smart or better yet - both.


Problem is, modern zero tolerance policies mean a punch to the mouth is an automatic suspension of expulsion.

Where I graduated high school, one fight, and you were suspended for a week. One more and you were gone. Didn't matter why. Didn't matter who started it. Didn't matter how badly the kid was tormented. He dared throw a punch - or return one - the world fell on his head.

It's all well and good to say "fight back" until fighting back means your 4.0 GPA just earned you at best Vo-Ed or a military enlistment because no college, ROTC program, or service academy will touch you. Not with a line around the block of kids with 3.0 GPAs and no disciplinary problems.



This was my exact point. When I was a kid, 70's and 80's, if the skirmish even got reported the principal or teacher would interview the participants and any witnesses and hand down punishments which often meant bend over and grab your ankles.

When bullies were faced with a punch in the nose, a paddle across their ass or both it was much less fun to be a bully. Now kids are encouraged to suffer in silence.


______________________________
“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”
― John Wayne
 
Posts: 5999 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The difference is that 20 years ago and beyond kids were taught, and in some cases forced, to stick up for themselves. This taught both the bully and the bullied valuable lessons. Today being a victim is an accepted status in most instances.


How old are you?

I’m 35 and was heavily bullied from about third grade on into middle school. Autism spectrum wasn’t a recognized “thing” then and I was always told that it takes two to fight and both parties would get punished. When I did fight back, I got punished, and considering that it was a private catholic school, me getting confined to the far corner of the schoolyard during recess for two years running in a space 3’x3’ for finally shoving the fucker that made fun of me all day, every day only reinforced not engaging, and let the children of the affluent to play without having to acknowledge my existence. The teachers helped encourage their behavior by first putting up a cardboard wall around my desk during class time and then having me take my desk out in the hall, by myself. Every day, all day. Four years of that. I guess you could call that being forced to stick up for myself, but I get the feeling you grew up before the “zero tolerance” bullshit that the succeeding generations did.
 
Posts: 9415 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The difference is that 20 years ago and beyond kids were taught, and in some cases forced, to stick up for themselves. This taught both the bully and the bullied valuable lessons. Today being a victim is an accepted status in most instances.


How old are you?

I’m 35 and was heavily bullied from about third grade on into middle school. Autism spectrum wasn’t a recognized “thing” then and I was always told that it takes two to fight and both parties would get punished. When I did fight back, I got punished, and considering that it was a private catholic school, me getting confined to the far corner of the schoolyard during recess for two years running in a space 3’x3’ for finally shoving the fucker that made fun of me all day, every day only reinforced not engaging, and let the children of the affluent to play without having to acknowledge my existence. The teachers helped encourage their behavior by first putting up a cardboard wall around my desk during class time and then having me take my desk out in the hall, by myself. Every day, all day. Four years of that. I guess you could call that being forced to stick up for myself, but I get the feeling you grew up before the “zero tolerance” bullshit that the succeeding generations did.


I am 47, yes before zero tolerance which it the point I have been trying to make. That is what has changed, not kids instincts and behaviors. Kids can be assholes for a variety of reasons. Today there are no natural consequence.


All that aside, and no offense, but where the fuck were your parents?

I am sure my son's schools have zero tolerance, or maybe they don't, don't care. Both of my boys have been given specific boundaries on how to handle bullying. I told them I will handle any backlash from the school. I will not allow them to tolerate being bullied, period. I am not above showing up at a kids house to discuss the issue with his/her parents either.


______________________________
“I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living.”
― John Wayne
 
Posts: 5999 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I was bullied a few times in school, because I was a very quiet, timid, fat kid. But once every couple years I would just go ballistic and completely wipe the floor with one of those f*ckers, and I mean literally kick them around the floor until they were sobbing and begging.

It really works. I am a huge advocate for violence, carefully applied. Violence is not a bad thing. Evil is a bad thing. Sometimes violence is used to halt evil.


"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."
 
Posts: 6460 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
All that aside, and no offense, but where the fuck were your parents?


Let's just say the abuse ran concurrent at home also. I've recently come to terms to terms with my father being a classic narcissist who cared more about what his peers thought about him than the health of his family. At the time, he was in the process of raising me to be a doormat. He's well on his way to being completely cut off from the rest of the family since he and I haven't spoken in a few years and he hasn't been welcome at my sister's house for about a year or so. My mother is in the process of legally pulling the ripcord.


quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I was bullied a few times in school, because I was a very quiet, timid, fat kid. But once every couple years I would just go ballistic and completely wipe the floor with one of those f*ckers, and I mean literally kick them around the floor until they were sobbing and begging.

It really works. I am a huge advocate for violence, carefully applied. Violence is not a bad thing. Evil is a bad thing. Sometimes violence is used to halt evil.


Too fucking right, Crom. Amen, brother.
 
Posts: 9415 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bullied Whopper Jr vs Bullied High School Jr.

© SIGforum 2018