SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you think of the new BP recommendations?- My MD's response in OP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of the new BP recommendations?- My MD's response in OP Login/Join 
posted
I've been in the "pre" stage for quite a few years, but these new recommendations put a lot of my readings into the Stage 1 level.

I'm 52, BMI 25, rarely add salt to anything, don't smoke, don't drink. Not sure there's a whole lot more to be done with lifestyle that would make much difference. I suppose I'll be starting meds at my next check up. Dang!

My physician responded to my question today and suggested doing nothing different. She indicated that the guidelines are an AHA position paper and not a true recommendation for treatment. She said she wouldn't even consider meds unless I was CONSISTENTLY in the high 130s-140s.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MNSIG,

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've been in the "pre" stage for quite a few years, but these new recommendations put a lot of my readings into the Stage 1 level.

I'm 52, BMI 25, rarely add salt to anything, don't smoke, don't drink. Not sure there's a whole lot more to be done with lifestyle that would make much difference. I suppose I'll be starting meds at my next check up. Dang!

What are those recommendations?

Have not seen anything on it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
They dropped the numbers from 140 and 90 to 130 and 80. Overnight half the population now has high BP.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Every few years or so, they come out with new recommendations this and new guidelines that. And, folks will argue. I personally do NOT put too much stock into it. Do not freak out. You are fine.

quote:
I suppose I'll be starting meds at my next check up. Dang!

I hope you're not serious.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Saw this on the news last night. The medical lady said they think it will only cause a 2% increase of people going on meds. Yeah right. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Saw this on the news last night. The medical lady said they think it will only cause a 2% increase of people going on meds. Yeah right. Roll Eyes

I'll tell you, it's a racket.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Every few years or so, they come out with new recommendations this and new guidelines that. And, folks will argue. I personally do NOT put too much stock into it. Do not freak out. You are fine.

As I recall, you are a physician, so I'm interested in your opinion. I've monitored at home for years and shared the data with my physician. Typical home reading will be 115-125/75-85. At work, I will frequently be in the 130s/80s.

I'm a bit more obsessive about it because my dad had a severe stroke at 60. Of course, his BP was WAY higher(untreated and ignored) for years before that.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m no longer involved in hypertension guideline development so have not been involved in discussions leading up to the new guidelines by American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
The new guidelines are much more complex and treatment guidelines are based on other risks of cardiovascular disease. Whether physicians and patients understand and follow the subtleties of this remains unknown.
If the guidelines were followed accurately, there would be much more confirmation of BP readings with home and ambulatory BP readings.
I have not seen a cost-effectiveness analysis of significantly lowering the BP treatment thresholds. As BP is lower, the benefit of treatment is less but not insignificant.

So that’s a long-winded way of saying: I don’t know yet what I think of them, but thanks for asking!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
When I stopped eating refined sugar and simple carbs (still eat complex carbs...fruits, veggies, etc), my blood pressure dropped. Not sure if it was related, just something I noticed.

My blood work in general got really good!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Was there significant weight loss associated with the dietary change?

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Not a medical professional, my EMT license expired the end of '87.

We were taught as a baseline that adult males systolic numbers should be age plus 100 over 80 and adult females should be 10 points less on systolic and 8 diastolic. Of course we were not diagnosticians, we just used that as a rule of thumb for monitoring and reporting.

Systolic varies greatly by activity, position of cuff, which arm,stress, etc. Seems a bit aggressive to treat with medication at a range that I would consider normal. My normal range is 120-134 systolic and have been treated for hypertension since 1991.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^

Was there significant weight loss associated with the dietary change?

Sure was. Body fat % dropped quite a bit too. I went from 227 lbs to 185 lbs. I'm 6' 1" FYI.

The first month or two was the majority of weight. Then it kept creeping down slowly over time. I've settled in around 190 lbs.

February 1, it will 2 years since I changed. I started working out religiously about a year ago, so my weight actually sent up, but I'm trimmer than before working out.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about exercise - cardio and strength? You didn't mention it.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
We were taught as a baseline that adult males systolic numbers should be age plus 100 over 80
Am I reading this correctly? Age plus 100? I am 80, almost 81 years old.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Good revenue stream for the pharma's. Holidays around the corner and they need better bonuses. But the medical community new that the old numbers where just not cutting it, everyone felt that 138/80 was a good number but in reality you had high blood pressure.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really need cardio and weight training. Also , try to avoid any BP meds-They all have potential side effects (you will not like the side effects)
All things in moderation is still sound advice-

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
How about exercise - cardio and strength? You didn't mention it.

My exercise is primarily walking. On a typical work day, my Apple Watch records about 8,000 steps. On weekends, between 12,000-15,000.

I sure can't deny that weight lifting is generally a good thing (until you end up in the orthopedic clinic Smile), but not sure that it has any direct effect on BP.

posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember a time in the late 1970/1980 's when they wanted to aggressively treat high blood pressure..... Lot's of docs got on board and everyone thought they were doing good things for the patients.

A few years later some studies started noticing that there were more people passing out and falling over ( and possibly more strokes) due to low blood pressures....then the claim was that docs were treating blood pressure too aggressively. Said they were getting "kickbacks" from the drug companies....sometimes you just can't win.

In the meantime...." Everything in moderation" jmo, mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sounds like a real money-maker for big pharma...

wait six months, they will change their minds again

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

As I recall, you are a physician, so I'm interested in your opinion. I've monitored at home for years and shared the data with my physician. Typical home reading will be 115-125/75-85. At work, I will frequently be in the 130s/80s.

I'm a bit more obsessive about it because my dad had a severe stroke at 60. Of course, his BP was WAY higher(untreated and ignored) for years before that.

If I were in your shoes, and my doc pushes BP med on me, I would politely decline. And, if he continues to insist, I'd find another PCP. Just me.

You're doing the right thing with keeping a diary of your BP measured away from the doc's office. You ought to be commended for this. Keep exercising and eating "right", and stay away from OTC meds that can raise your BP, and I bet you'll never have to swallow a BP med.

Your dad's case is a completely different scenario. Known uncontrolled HTN and a noncompliant patient. Yeah, that will eventually stroke you out. Same thing happened to my dad. Roll Eyes

Q