SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here work for the USPS?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here work for the USPS? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
A fellow Soldier suggested I apply with the USPS. She said she's been a mail carrier for a few months and really enjoys it.

I followed her suggestion and applied.

I noticed that some of the positions reached their maximum number of applicants really quick. Jobs were typically posted on Monday mornings and the max applicants would fill the slots by 5pm or so.

I woke up at 6am yesterday to apply for an office in the town where we'd really like to live.

I took the 473 exam this morning, it was computerized.

I scored an 84 on the exam. The memorization part was somewhat difficult. I've been reading around and it seems that 84 is a respectable score. However, I also receive 5 points for veterans preference so my score will be boosted to 89 which appears to make me quite competitive.

I recall we have at least a couple of members here to work for the USPS.

What are your thoughts, good and bad?

Posts: 13094 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I hope you get the job.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine you won't get it. Many of the applicants won't follow through, or qualify in some way.
I almost suggested it when I read your LE application SNAFUs.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Orguss?

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The best of luck getting and enjoying your new career.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What out for the dogs, it's a jungle out there!

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Doesn't Orguss?
ASKSmith too. I think Orguss has been there 2ish years and ASKSmith has been there 15ish years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I worked as both a rural and city carrier for 4 years but that was about 8 years ago.

I enjoyed carrying mail, but the system and management is crazy. Good carriers get in trouble, pieces of shit get protected by the union. My advice is follow the rules and procedures at all times!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've been thrown under the bus. Cool

First, it is a fun job, if you don't mind walking around all day, in the cold, heat, rain, dealing with dogs, etc... But it is all in your perspective. I'm kind of a fitness goon, so I don't mind walking 12-15 miles a day. And that's not including my pre-work workouts, and soccer practice after work. I pretty much walk around all day listening to the radio (DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES!!!)

I will not lie, starting out is not a joke. Think of it as hazing. I'd say 1/3 of all people who take the job as a carrier, quit within the first year. Everything is based on seniority: routes, overtime, days off but getting forced to work, etc. And now with Sundays, you could work 7 days a week.

The main thing is to be safe, take your allotted breaks (two 10 minute breaks, and a 30 minute lunch). Do not let them push you to go faster. We have scanners with GPS capability, so they know exactly where you are. If they ask what took you so long, remember this, "I was trying to be as safe and efficient as possible". It's all about repetition, I can do my route with my eyes closed, but if I had to do another unfamiliar route, I might as well be blind.

You won't get rich in the PO, but the benefits are there. TSP (like a 401K), health, FSA accounts, paid government holidays, and 4 weeks vacation a year. Contrary to popular belief, the pension is a joke. 30 years of service with survivor benefits and health insurance might net you $700/month.

With your military time, that can be calculated into your retirement time, so don't pass that up.

PM me if you have any questions.
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Take every exam you can take, the trick is getting your foot in the door.

I hired on as a mail handler which was weird because it's the test I scored lowest on (I think I took a total of five). I only did that for about 3 months before I was able to get into maintenance working on the sorting equipment.

Things might have changed but I doubt it. I retired in 2009.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recall we have at least a couple of members here to work for the USPS.

What are your thoughts, good and bad?

There are a number of jobs with UPS, from carrier to window clerk to maintenance. What positions are you interested in?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking a man of your experience, education and intelligence might be a great postal inspector-investigator, but I'm not familiar with that structure.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked for other federal jobs? Here's a fairly new www site:

https://www.fedshirevets.gov/

There used to be a career intern program where you'd get hired as a GS-5 (or 7) and be promoted to 9 (or 11) after two years once you completed the training. That program is now called "Recent Grads," and vets have up to six years after discharge to get in the program:

https://www.opm.gov/policy-dat...uates/#url=graduates

Have you tried for Federal LEO jobs?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't take the Pine Hills (Crime Hills) Route when hired in Orlando.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I carried in Gary IN, I had 5 murxers on my route in 3 months at one point.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to talk Orguss out of taking the job, but he wouldn't listen, LOL!

I retired 4/28 after thirty years and three months. The job is not bad if you don't mind repetition or the weather. The USPS has an antiquated fleet of delivery vehicles with no replacements in sight beyond the drawing board.

Upper level management does not have a clue and they take turns lying awake at night dreaming up unrealistic expectations to dump on the workers each week. The clerks and carriers are exhausted and supervisors and postmasters are stressed. It is not a good work environment.

There are rumors of an upcoming early out for employees nearing retirement. If this is true, it won't happen until after the Christmas holidays. Possibly you could hire on now and become a regular within a year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
The USPS has an antiquated fleet of delivery vehicles with no replacements in sight beyond the drawing board.
The mail carriers around here are driving new Sprinter vans.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30646 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
The USPS has an antiquated fleet of delivery vehicles with no replacements in sight beyond the drawing board.

No one is doing curb side delivery out of a Sprinter van.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Even if it's something to get me through the next 2 years of school, then I would be fine with that. Never know what types of networking I could do on a route. Fellow Soldier said she's working a lot of OT. I have class for 10 weeks and have 2 weeks off between semesters. Ideally I would work more those 2 weeks. I'm only going part time now with 2 classes and they're online classes at night. I might have to take the semester beginning July 2018 off as I have to wait for the annual cap for my Post 9/11 GI Bill to set. That essentially means I would be off school from June-September of next year; that means my availability to work would be great.

After having not worked for nearly 3 months now, I would definitely like to take any opportunities to not just work but work OT.

Financially we are doing fine as we have savings and I've been day trading. We've cut our expenses and have some sort of income coming in with reserve duty and the BAH for going to school. All is not lost. I used to read about people not working for months and wondered how they made it but we're making it.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Watch out for the dogs, it's a jungle out there!

Big Grin

I've read about the dogs and that it's not just some sort of rehashed hyperbole. The threat of dogs is very real. One guy was saying how dogs are chasing him and all he has is dog spray. LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Yes, I've been thrown under the bus. Cool

First, it is a fun job, if you don't mind walking around all day, in the cold, heat, rain, dealing with dogs, etc... But it is all in your perspective. I'm kind of a fitness goon, so I don't mind walking 12-15 miles a day. And that's not including my pre-work workouts, and soccer practice after work. I pretty much walk around all day listening to the radio (DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES!!!)

I will not lie, starting out is not a joke. Think of it as hazing. I'd say 1/3 of all people who take the job as a carrier, quit within the first year. Everything is based on seniority: routes, overtime, days off but getting forced to work, etc. And now with Sundays, you could work 7 days a week.

The main thing is to be safe, take your allotted breaks (two 10 minute breaks, and a 30 minute lunch). Do not let them push you to go faster. We have scanners with GPS capability, so they know exactly where you are. If they ask what took you so long, remember this, "I was trying to be as safe and efficient as possible". It's all about repetition, I can do my route with my eyes closed, but if I had to do another unfamiliar route, I might as well be blind.

You won't get rich in the PO, but the benefits are there. TSP (like a 401K), health, FSA accounts, paid government holidays, and 4 weeks vacation a year. Contrary to popular belief, the pension is a joke. 30 years of service with survivor benefits and health insurance might net you $700/month.

With your military time, that can be calculated into your retirement time, so don't pass that up.

PM me if you have any questions.
Smith

No headphones for situational awareness? I've seen a lot of carriers wear headphones. Didn't know if it was a policy or something to maintain situational awareness.

I won't mind the physical aspect. Seems most around here are going with the centralized boxes instead of delivering to each house (besides packages).

I'm used to walking and carrying weight around. The benefits seems nice.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are a number of jobs with UPS, from carrier to window clerk to maintenance. What positions are you interested in?

I applied for the carrier positions.

quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Don't take the Pine Hills (Crime Hills) Route when hired in Orlando.

I think they should have an Infantry platoon deliver the mail there.

quote:
I tried to talk Orguss out of taking the job, but he wouldn't listen, LOL!

I retired 4/28 after thirty years and three months. The job is not bad if you don't mind repetition or the weather. The USPS has an antiquated fleet of delivery vehicles with no replacements in sight beyond the drawing board.

Upper level management does not have a clue and they take turns lying awake at night dreaming up unrealistic expectations to dump on the workers each week. The clerks and carriers are exhausted and supervisors and postmasters are stressed. It is not a good work environment.

There are rumors of an upcoming early out for employees nearing retirement. If this is true, it won't happen until after the Christmas holidays. Possibly you could hire on now and become a regular within a year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Kind of sounds like the military... Big Grin

I don't mind the weather as we do get a few months of heavy rain here but the winter months are awesome. I'll be sure to wear the shortest shorts I can find. Big Grin

I've seen older fleet vehicles around here as well as some of the newer vans. Our mailwoman has one of the newer vans.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Seems that's what is common here on this side of town though I've seen some of the older vehicles.

Posts: 13094 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No advice here, but best of luck to you!

Most of the carriers here are in the new Chevrolet City Vans, none have the USPS logos on them, just unlabeled white vans.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post