SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gila Bend Arizona- Places to stay for 6-10 weeks for work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gila Bend Arizona- Places to stay for 6-10 weeks for work Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2000Z-71

Good Morning.
I appreciate the information everyone has provided.

I was told informed during the interview that we will be working Monday through Friday 8-10hrs a day. I am not sure what the start time will be but one email said we will meet about 630am.

As of right now we will have our weekends off unless exigent circumstances arise.

The other half and I have been doing research on various places to staff and we cannot believe how pricey everything is. I would swear I was looking at rates for Northern VA and DC.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
No one stays in Gila Bend because they want to. They stay there because they have to. That's why prices can be high and people will pay them.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Don't know the area, but can recommend Solomon Boots and a nice pair of snake gaiters.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know the area, but can recommend Solomon Boots and a nice pair of snake gaiters.

Might want to hang onto those. Saw they pulled a 16 foot, 300 pound python out near TAMPA!

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gila Bend

Reviews on line show the Best Western Space Age Lodge to be decent, looks recently upgraded...

Best Western Space Age Lodge

How can you go wrong choosing a hotel with a UFO space craft on the roof...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
There's also a Burger King and a Dollar Store....

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
2000Z-71

Good Morning.
I appreciate the information everyone has provided.

I was told informed during the interview that we will be working Monday through Friday 8-10hrs a day. I am not sure what the start time will be but one email said we will meet about 630am.

As of right now we will have our weekends off unless exigent circumstances arise.

The other half and I have been doing research on various places to staff and we cannot believe how pricey everything is. I would swear I was looking at rates for Northern VA and DC.

6:30 AM temperatures in the desert will be rather chilly. So, good idea to layer clothing.

Don't forget plenty of water and beware of Rattlesnakes as you're in their turf.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's probably the timing of everything. Arizona, especially Phoenix is in the midst of another real estate boom. It's also snowbird season with the great migration of RV's with out of state plates and Cadillacs driven by headless little old ladies makes their annual migration to heaven's waiting room in the desert.

You've probably gotten the idea already that there's not much in Gila Bend itself. However, you're relatively short road trips to a lot of other things. Stay there for work and get the hell out of Dodge on the weekends. San Diego is about 4 hours, Phoenix little more than an hour, Tucson, and then there's Rocky Point, Mexico about 2 hours.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when I'm outside in the sun, I'm always wearing a long sleeved shirt and a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun off my neck and ears.

Drink water. Lots of water. Even if you're sweating, it evaporates so quick that you really don't realize it - I drink on average a 1 liter bottle an hour. Feeling thirsty means you're dehydrated, and its too late to step up drinking water. You will probably get heat stroke at least once.

As I said earlier, depending on where you need to report, Yuma is a much nicer spot than Gila Bend.

Did I mention you should drink a lot of water? Smile

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Yuma is a much nicer spot than Gila Bend.

You know the place is a dump when Yuma is described as much nicer. LOL

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Six weeks (or more) in Gila Bend will feel like 6 months.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gila Bend

Not sure why you'd go to Yuma vs Gila Bend, it's 116 mile trip one way on I-8 or 69 miles to Phoenix Probably less to a suburb of Phoenix.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know the place is a dump when Yuma is described as much nicer. LOL
I spend three weeks there, one Friday evening.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I was just notified today of this opportunity and the start date is March 03 2021...

If things worked out and you start Wednesday of next week, begin drinking water now because most people are already in a mild state of dehydration.

Below is an excerp on a good water related article, I'm not posting all of it expecting you already know this ~ but if you don't it's a good read.

www.Health.USnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/09/13/The-Truth-About-How-Much-Water-You-Should-Really-Drink

"...The first thing you need to do is calculate how much water your body needs at rest. That's working at a desk, puttering around the house, reading and doing all of the other things you do throughout the day. This is your bare minimum water requirement – what your body needs to function.

The basic equation for determining this is by dividing your body weight in half. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, you would need 100 ounces of water per day if you're not doing anything strenuous.

If you're working out, hiking, at a high altitude or outdoors a great deal, you're going to need to add to those 100 ounces..."

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Hi. How’s it going? Any update?

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'll give you an update. If you don't follow local news here, Gila Bend has become a drop-off point for many of the illegals Biden is welcoming to the US. The town is nothing, has nothing and they're getting dozens of illegals per week now, dropped off by Border Patrol, with the mayor getting zero additional funding from the feds or state to deal with the issue. From what I've heard, the mayor has had to borrow - yes borrow - vans to drive these illegals to Phoenix. Apparently, it's against the law for him to use city-owned vehicles for the job. Dunno what this is going to mean for hotel rates or vacancy. But rest assured, taxpayers are getting the shaft here. Have fun in already-not-fun Gila Bend.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The rate of criminals crossing the border is rapidly increasing. In just one small area more than 100 were caught today - one group had 35 in it.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure how things worked out for you, but I suspect they rally point for your daily work is on a military base. Makes me wonder if your vet status or contractor status would allow you to use military housing like an Air Force inn or BOQ?
Also most bases will have lists of local places that are military friendly for when there isn’t enough base housing?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Is Ajo a possible contender? I don't know anything about it, but it appears to be fairly nearby.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post