SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Xfinity wireless, anyone have a review?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xfinity wireless, anyone have a review? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I got an offer to replace all our cellphones (3 lines) for $33/month each instead of the $45 each we're paying to StraightTalk.

We're not dissatisfied with StraightTalk but the savings is tempting.

Does Xfinity allow you to send your name along with the Caller ID? StraightTalk just says "wireless caller". Of course, very few people have landline Caller ID these days.

Is Xfinity truly unlimited? StraightTalk throttles after 2GB or something like that.

They are both on Verizon's network but Xfinity connects to access points as well.

Give me your review.

Posts: 45569 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i made the jump from being long time pre-verizon customer to xfinity a little over a year ago to get away from high prices out of contract.

2 of us are retired, use wifi except when out, so we can get by with a 1g plan, paying incrementally for the next gig if we go over.

2 new phones paid over 24 months, porting number to xfinity for $87 month compared to just short of $100 for 2 out of contract verizon phones.

the only caveat is you must be a comcast customer to use xfinity.

not using unlimited, so no info.
hope this helps.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I get my plan thru work, but wife and daughter have been on StraightTalk for years.

I've looked into the Xfinity, it is not truly 'unlimited':

quote:
After 20 GB of monthly data use, speeds are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 kbps upload, determined and applied on a per line basis.

Video streams up to 480p, standard-definition quality. HD streaming is available on Xfinity Wifi.

Mobile hotspot speeds will not exceed 600 kbps.
In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

The StraightTalk $45/mo 'unlimited' data is first 25GB at high speeds, then at 2G*.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I had Verizon for years. Then I changed to Sprint because of the iphone deal they had. Big mistake. Sprint sucked. Then I went with Xfinity. At Sprint I was paying $121.00 per month. At Xfinity I have been paying an average of $15.68 per month. Keep in mind that is for 1 gig, we don't use a lot of data. For us that is big savings per month! My understanding is that Xfinity uses Verizon towers. I am glad we switched.

Posts: 6745 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Ah, here's another question. Can I tether my phone with Xfinity? On StraightTalk you can't with the $45 plan but you can on the $55 plan.

Posts: 45569 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Ah, here's another question. Can I tether my phone with Xfinity? On StraightTalk you can't with the $45 plan but you can on the $55 plan.

How your data option affects personal hotspots

If you have the Unlimited data option, speeds on any connected device will not exceed 600 Kbps. At that speed, you'll be able to perform common tasks such as email, instant messaging, and basic web browsing. However, you'll likely experience buffering when streaming audio and/or video on your connected devices.

If you prefer 4G LTE for your hotspot-powered devices, go for By the Gig. Personal hotspot speeds are not automatically limited with this data option, but you can still use Data Saver to dial down your data speed and help manage your costs.

There are no additional fees for using your phone as a hotspot, and you can do it whether you have By the Gig or Unlimited. Data used as a mobile hotspot will count toward your data charges for the billing cycle. Remember, your laptop may consume more data than your phone would for similar activities.

I'd like to hear others who have signed up and used the service - I'm still considering switching the wife and daughter over to it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from Sprint to Xfinity about 7 months ago. There are several places I have better service than before, but also a couple of places around town that I have worse signal. I would say it ended up being better. My wife was on Verizon before and noticed no difference. Somehow we are getting by with myself, My wife, and my child (who never really gets the phone) on just 1 GIG ($15). I am home all day for work and my wife had a work iPad with cellular she uses for internet during the day. We also turned off cellular data for certain apps like you tube, Facebook, tic tok, face time, Reddit, and a few others. I am happy with the switch. $150 to $15, even if we splurge to 3GB it’s only $30.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So my wife’s phone has been on xfinity for about 3.5 years. Mine 2.5 years. I couldn’t be happier.

Yes, you can tether or hotspot for no additional cost. You just pay for the data that you use.

As far as caller ID, my phone shows “Chehalis Washington”. I think my wife’s phone shows “Noah LastName”. I have never looked into changing this as I don’t really care.

When we lived where xfinity had their network, our bill was next to nothing, my wife would use less than 1 gig, so it was $12/month. In Washington, most homes and businesses used xfinity. So their modem/router was broadcasting. When you have xfinity wireless, you will hotspot off of all the different routers in the network. Example, as I would walk down the street from my house, I would never use my data because I would jump from one access point to the next. This doesn’t count toward your data usage.

When we moved to AZ, there is no xfinity service here. So we have to pay a monthly connection of $25 per phone. Our monthly bill for two phones is between $96 and $108 per month, for two lines. We are on the 3gb plan and if we go over, it charges us $12/gb. It’s all shared between the two phones.

You are also able to switch your plan back and forth as you see fit. When we first moved to AZ, we didn’t have internet for the first few weeks. I was using my phone as the hotspot for Netflix and YouTube. I switched over to the unlimited plan for that month. Once the billing cycle had ended, I switched back. This was all done from an app on my phone.

The plan runs on Verizon towers. Exceptional service. No issues with call quality or connectivity.

We just upgraded our phones. Went to the Apple store. Bought two phones, unlocked with no carrier attached. Swapped the SIM card into the new phone. Went to the app, which immediately recognized the new phone. It asked if we wanted to pair the SIM with the new phone. I clicked “yes” and the new phone was paired.

I xfinity ever makes it to the part of the country, I will sign up for their internet service. That will reduce my bill by at least $50/month, but if there are lots of xfinity customers, I will be hotspotting from their routers and saving even more by not using my data.

Personally, I couldn’t be happier. It is the best switch I have ever made.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4375 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We somehow got on the Infinite Spammer Sucker List last fall when trying to do an update to xfinity.

After a couple trips to the computer software glitch store, we STILL get dozen+ spammer emails a day. Filters are limited help as the fraudsters have unlimited response links.

My own Xfinity wireless is somehow linked to comcast tv cable. I'm still trying to learn the advantages.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one of the best features of xfinity, up to 5 phones on the same data plan.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I had a somewhat negative experience with Xfinity Wireless.

I signed on with them because they offered a great price for what I was looking for (unltd talk and text, and a modest amount of data (10GB I think)). Service was on Verizon which is my preferred network.

But, I cancelled after 3 months because I had a technical issue that they could not solve.

My iPhone kept dropping the connection to mobile data; I could only make/rcv calls and make/rcv texts. This quickly became an issue because I couldn't use maps, use apps, check email, etc. when I was away from home. I spent a good couple of hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out the problem. They were unable to solve it; and, of course, kept blaming the phone and not their network.

After my eighth call without a solution, on a whim I stopped by the local Apple Store and asked one of their people about it. The Apple tech took a quick look and figured out that my VPN app was blocking access to the network. It took him all of about 3 minutes to solve the problem.

So, while technically, the Xfinity folks were correct that it was a problem with the iPhone, I was frustrated with their lack of expertise. I figured that the next time I had an issue, they'd be just as clueless. So, I looked around, got a great deal with Verizon and switched over.

Posts: 6593 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I had a somewhat negative experience with Xfinity Wireless.

I signed on with them because they offered a great price for what I was looking for (unltd talk and text, and a modest amount of data (10GB I think)). Service was on Verizon which is my preferred network.

But, I cancelled after 3 months because I had a technical issue that they could not solve.

My iPhone kept dropping the connection to mobile data; I could only make/rcv calls and make/rcv texts. This quickly became an issue because I couldn't use maps, use apps, check email, etc. when I was away from home. I spent a good couple of hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out the problem. They were unable to solve it; and, of course, kept blaming the phone and not their network.

After my eighth call without a solution, on a whim I stopped by the local Apple Store and asked one of their people about it. The Apple tech took a quick look and figured out that my VPN app was blocking access to the network. It took him all of about 3 minutes to solve the problem.

So, while technically, the Xfinity folks were correct that it was a problem with the iPhone, I was frustrated with their lack of expertise. I figured that the next time I had an issue, they'd be just as clueless. So, I looked around, got a great deal with Verizon and switched over.

it doesn't sound like you told xfinity you were using a vpn or they might have been more help!!

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

it doesn't sound like you told xfinity you were using a vpn or they might have been more help!!

I didn't think it was an issue.

What I found curious was that over the course of 8 calls with Xfinity tech support, that they never thought to ask or check - considering it's their job and all. On the other hand, it was one of the first things Apple's tech support checked.

Posts: 6593 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

I didn't think it was an issue.

What I found curious was that over the course of 8 calls with Xfinity tech support, that they never thought to ask or check - considering it's their job and all. On the other hand, it was one of the first things Apple's tech support checked.
So, am I not allowed to use VPN with Xfinity mobile? That's kind of a deal killer.

I am an Xfinity customer now (internet only) do I have to rent and use their modem? I have my own modem now and do not rent theirs.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, am I not allowed to use VPN with Xfinity mobile? That's kind of a deal killer.

I am an Xfinity customer now (internet only) do I have to rent and use their modem? I have my own modem now and do not rent theirs.

I don't know if it was an issue with the particular app, or with all VPN apps. I suspect it was the specific app I had on my iPhone.

Re Xfinity internet service, I have always bought my own modem and nothing changed for the few months I also had Xfinity Mobile.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, you don’t have to rent/use their modem or router. You just have to have their internet service.

You can use a VPN. I have never had an issue with Nord.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4375 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

No, you don’t have to rent/use their modem or router. You just have to have their internet service.

You can use a VPN. I have never had an issue with Nord.
Excellent. Thanks everyone. We're seriously considering moving over to Xfinity.