SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help picking a new computer keyboard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help picking a new computer keyboard Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've tried a couple mechanical keyboards (think they had Cherry MX switches of some flavor in them) and the one thing that negatively impacted my typing speed/accuracy was the length of travel on the keys. As I noted above, I really like a very short keystroke when typing. I tried one gaming keyboard at Best Buy yesterday and liked the length of the keystrokes, but it was like $170 which is outside my comfort level for a keyboard. That and I'm too old to appreciate the advantage of having rainbow LED capabilities. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My favorite on my main desktop is the Logitech MX950.
Best of everything: Wireless, rechargeable batteries (just plug into the USB port to charge) and Backlit.
It is a combo with a rechargeable mouse too.
Pricey but excellent.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Logitech K800. Way better then anything I have ever used.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I've tried a couple mechanical keyboards (think they had Cherry MX switches of some flavor in them) and the one thing that negatively impacted my typing speed/accuracy was the length of travel on the keys. As I noted above, I really like a very short keystroke when typing. I tried one gaming keyboard at Best Buy yesterday and liked the length of the keystrokes, but it was like $170 which is outside my comfort level for a keyboard. That and I'm too old to appreciate the advantage of having rainbow LED capabilities. Smile

One thing that might make a difference is that with most mechanical keyboard switches, you don't actually have to push the keys all the way down. With tactile or clicky switches, pretty much as soon as you feel the bump, the key has activated. It's easier on your fingers not hitting a hard stop.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post