SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help picking a new computer keyboard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help picking a new computer keyboard Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I've been using an old Dell OEM keyboard with my home desktop machine, and it was fine until recently when a couple keys started working intermittently. So I thought I'd treat myself to an upgraded keyboard. My biggest requirement is that key travel be super short and responsive given I type all day on a laptop that obviously has super short key travel. I'd love it if the new keyboard was wireless to remove clutter from my desk, but that's not a deal breaker. Other than those couple requirements, I'm pretty open to suggestions. Oh, and this will only be used as a business keyboard (i.e. no gaming).

So what would you recommend/suggest?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd reconsider your requirements. I type all day on a laptop, too (a MacBook Pro). When I'm at home I use a full-size keyboard with Cherry MX Clear mechanical key switches and it is a much more pleasant typing experience with no trouble switching back and forth. Cherry makes lots of different switches, the clear ones are heavyish tactile switches (tactile means there's a bump when you press the key down, but no loud click).

When I get going I can type over 90 WPM on the laptop and over 100 on the mechanical keyboard.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I went hunting for a new keyboard I tried about a dozen different brands and models. I'm a touch-typist who learned on a mechanical Underwood upright typewriter, and I prefer keys that move significantly and make a noise when they land. Although I'm not a "gamer", I did ultimately decide on a Corsair gaming keyboard--I really like how the keys respond.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
If you're an actual typist the split keyboards are super comfortable. I can't type well enough to use them effectively.

My current keyboard is a Logitech mechanical with Cherry MX Red keys. I think I would have preferred the brown, the Reds are very sensitive and lightly weighted. I've adjusted to it, but when I first got it I was having a lot of issues dragging my hands and making inadvertent keystrokes.

I have a generic wireless Logitech at work. I'd love a mechanical at work, but I think my cubicle neighbors wouldn't considering how much I type for emails and manuals.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend at least trying some mechanical keyboards to see if you like them better. I fell in love with a model M keyboard but found it too noisy to use when on conference calls, experimented with various Cherry MX switches, and ended up with a Cherry MX Clear mechanical keyboard with custom key caps. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com lets you design and build a custom keyboard and that's been working perfectly for me to several years now.

Posts: 2365 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If anyone finds a Mechanical Spilt Keyboard, please let me know. I tried looking for one last year and found nothing at all. Whenever I did find one, it was something super weird like this:

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my keyboard to the Dell KM714 when changing out my desktop a couple years back. It is a compact wireless, short stroked keyboard similar to the keys on a laptop.

I really like it when working from home as it is similar to my laptop.

If you want a wireless short stroked keyboard similar to the desktop keayboard, look at the Dell KM717. Both come with a wireless mouse and the 717 is about $15 more.

Dell KM714

Dell KM717

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was happy to pay a premium price for the NorthGate keyboard. Heavy duty, metal, not plastic, base, keystrokes had a very positive feel.

As far as I know, these are no longer available, but if I could find something similar I would be tempted to buy it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
If anyone finds a Mechanical Spilt Keyboard, please let me know. I tried looking for one last year and found nothing at all. Whenever I did find one, it was something super weird like this:

Take a look at the Ergodox, Kinesis Freestyle Edge, or Matias Ergo Pro.

Posts: 2365 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
get a model M and be happy.

I love mechanical keyboards, the clicky type. Though the travel is a bit further, I can touch type much faster on one. I've tried Unicomp's reproduction of the Model M, with the "buckling spring" keys, both PC and Mac models. I found what I think is a superior mechanical keyboard in Das Keyboard. They use Cherry MX switches under the keys. You can get clicky, or silent, PC or Mac models. I can type at my maximum speed on one of those.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Logitech K350 for the last 3-4 years at work.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
get a model M and be happy.

I love mechanical keyboards, the clicky type. Though the travel is a bit further, I can touch type much faster on one. I've tried Unicomp's reproduction of the Model M, with the "buckling spring" keys, both PC and Mac models. I found what I think is a superior mechanical keyboard in Das Keyboard. They use Cherry MX switches under the keys. You can get clicky, or silent, PC or Mac models. I can type at my maximum speed on one of those.

I typed that post, and this one. on my Das with MX browns. but if I were to only be typing and I didn't really give a damn how loud I was, nothing competes with the model M. also unicomp isn't a reproduction it's just the current production, they never stopped making them.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have the Logitech K800. It is wireless (has the unifying receiver that links with a Logitech keyboard and mouse so you only use one computer USB port for both). It has rechargeable batteries, I plug it in to a USB port (cable included) every two months or so to charge (couple hours) - has charge status lights on it. It can be used while charging. On/Off switch if you will be gone on vacation. The keys are auto back lit when your fingers get near the keys, handy at night if you don't want a bunch of lights on.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/l...1466.p?skuId=1261466

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd also suggest you look at some mechanical keyboards with CHERRY MX switches. I have the Corsair K63 which is smaller than a full sized keyboard. Highly recommended.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I have the Logitech K800. It is wireless (has the unifying receiver that links with a Logitech keyboard and mouse so you only use one computer USB port for both). It has rechargeable batteries, I plug it in to a USB port (cable included) every two months or so to charge (couple hours) - has charge status lights on it. It can be used while charging. On/Off switch if you will be gone on vacation. The keys are auto back lit when your fingers get near the keys, handy at night if you don't want a bunch of lights on.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/l...1466.p?skuId=1261466

That's what I've been using for a few years now. I'm in the habit of tapping the front edge with my little finger to activate the lighting as my hands move to the keys, lit when I get there.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8337 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

Here's one on Amazon with Cherry mech switches. Not cheap, but is split (but not outlandish) and is mechanical with good Cherry mech switches.

https://www.amazon.com/Mistel-...low+profile+keyboard

Here's another split mech from same company but with different colors and lighting options if you like RGB lighting and different kinds of switch switch actuation styles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M...&qid=1535229909&sr=3

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have this one. I really like the red backlighting so you can see it in the dark. Unfortunately, it's not wireless. Frown

Pretty cheap from Amazon...
http://a.co/d/fMaj0dl

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post