SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with HID conversion headlights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with HID conversion headlights Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I was looking at PIAA bulbs for my 4Runner and saw HID conversion kits for like $80??! That can’t be right, can it? Who’s done this, any tips for brands or web vendors?

Edit.. they’re LED conversion kits.
https://www.hidnation.com/prod...1-led-conversion-kit

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Either way, They do sell cheap "HID" kits which are only the ballasts and bulbs to replace factory halogens in the same reflector housings. While those are technically HIDs, they are not a full HID projector kit.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
PIAA apparently makes an LED conversion kit. It’s more money, but they’re reputable

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PIAA makes good stuff. But tread lightly with conversion kits. If it sounds too cheap to be true, it is.
Last time I looked into HID conversion kits for my car, a quality set was $750.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Kensun makes a good LED kit.
I am not sold on LEDs as the main beam yet.
I have Kensun HIDs in 2 vehicles with LED fog lights.

What year vehicle are they going in??
Kensun HIDs work very well in Toyota halogen projectors. I have them in a Highlander and Sienna. Cutoffs are very crisp and solid. I did have to adjust the headlights up in both a little. They are not blinding and visibility coupled with yellow fog lights is increased 100 times.

I was tempted to get the LEDs for the main bulbs but opted not as I know the HIDs give plenty of light.
I may get some LEDs for the DRL/high beam bulb to test the power.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Have a chat with the guys at XenonDepot and see what they say.

https://www.xenondepot.com/

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a 2007 4Runner. It’s got the old halogen projector style headlights. H11 bulbs are the low beams. This PIAA kit looks like it’s just a plug and play deal. I will definitely look at the Kensun ones though. Thanks! Anything’s got to be better than stock in this Toyota.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I was looking at PIAA bulbs for my 4Runner and saw HID conversion kits for like $80??! That can’t be right, can it? Who’s done this, any tips for brands or web vendors?

Edit.. they’re LED conversion kits.
https://www.hidnation.com/prod...1-led-conversion-kit

Stick with Phillips Xtreme regular bulbs. Anything else is a complete waste of time or illegal. Definitely don't put LED bulbs in your head lamps that weren't designed for them.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use these on a RX350 and they work well so far:

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusL...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Careful. It is my understand some DRL (Daytime Running Lights) systems and HID conversions don't play well together.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't.

Those HID kits are all china junk. Poor quality ballasts, if the 4R uses a bulb that is not normally available in HID the fit of the bulb to the base will be poor and finally, everyone else on the road will hate you. HIDs have absolutely NO place in a halogen headlamp housing. You'll create tons and tons of glare for other drivers.

LEDs will be similar with glare, they won't have good reach and for $80, you aren't getting quality. I had quality LEDs in the Wrangler (total housing replacement) and while they had good reach, they were horrible in the rain and snow could cover the lights because LEDs don't get hot enough to melt snow.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Don't.

Those HID kits are all china junk. Poor quality ballasts, if the 4R uses a bulb that is not normally available in HID the fit of the bulb to the base will be poor and finally, everyone else on the road will hate you. HIDs have absolutely NO place in a halogen headlamp housing. You'll create tons and tons of glare for other drivers.

LEDs will be similar with glare, they won't have good reach and for $80, you aren't getting quality. I had quality LEDs in the Wrangler (total housing replacement) and while they had good reach, they were horrible in the rain and snow could cover the lights because LEDs don't get hot enough to melt snow.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The blanket statement folks always seem to pop up in this thread.
Certainly SOME projector and non-projector housings are not suitable for HIDs or LEDs.

But if aimed and done properly with good components it can be done.
As long as you keep to good components and under 6000K you can do it properly.

I have had HIDs in a 2002 Ford Explorer with 5000k bulbs. Aimed properly there was no glare and no blinding at all.

I currently have 5000K HIDs in a 2012 Highlander and 2014 Sienna with Halogen projectors and the cutoffs are extremely precise and even better than some factory HIDs (Kia and Hyundai).

As for cheap China junk, if you mean inexpensive stuff that lasts sure.

The Explorer got VVME full size analog ballasts comparable to Hella and McCullough that I paid $150 for the kit at the time when Hella and McCullough were running 5-$700.
10 years later they still function as new and I have not even changed a bulb.

The Toyotas have Kensun with slim digital ballasts. The Highlander has been installed for 4 years without a hiccup and the Sienna for 1 without a hiccup.
Not even sure what Hella and McCullough run these days because I did not even bother to look.

Fit and finish are great on both. Bulbs fit with not issue, seal properly and don't allow moisture in the housing and there is no shake or vibration of the light from a loose bulb whatsoever.

Yes, HIDs can be done in halogen housings without blinding or having improper cutoffs.
Granted not all housings but certainly can be done.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Philips Xtreme standard bulbs and be done with it. I will repeat this statement from extensive experience over and over again in every headlight thread.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Don't.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The blanket statement folks always seem to pop up in this thread.
Certainly SOME projector and non-projector housings are not suitable for HIDs or LEDs.

But if aimed and done properly with good components it can be done.
As long as you keep to good components and under 6000K you can do it properly.

I have had HIDs in a 2002 Ford Explorer with 5000k bulbs. Aimed properly there was no glare and no blinding at all.

I currently have 5000K HIDs in a 2012 Highlander and 2014 Sienna with Halogen projectors and the cutoffs are extremely precise and even better than some factory HIDs (Kia and Hyundai).

As for cheap China junk, if you mean inexpensive stuff that lasts sure.

The Explorer got VVME full size analog ballasts comparable to Hella and McCullough that I paid $150 for the kit at the time when Hella and McCullough were running 5-$700.
10 years later they still function as new and I have not even changed a bulb.

The Toyotas have Kensun with slim digital ballasts. The Highlander has been installed for 4 years without a hiccup and the Sienna for 1 without a hiccup.
Not even sure what Hella and McCullough run these days because I did not even bother to look.

Fit and finish are great on both. Bulbs fit with not issue, seal properly and don't allow moisture in the housing and there is no shake or vibration of the light from a loose bulb whatsoever.

Yes, HIDs can be done in halogen housings without blinding or having improper cutoffs.
Granted not all housings but certainly can be done.

I can tell the cars and trucks coming at me at night with aftermarket HIDs. They're almost always blinding. Not even talking about the watersheads who put weird-ass color temperatures in the housings.

I see them all the time and they're all chinese shit, nothing more.

Running HIDs in a halogen housing is a dick move toward other drivers, period.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
What I believe matters most when converting to a different bulb type is getting a satisfactory beam pattern while not annoying other drivers. Car manufacturers may use auto leveling to help achieve best results but that’s impractical with conversions.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
What I believe matters most when converting to a different bulb type is getting a satisfactory beam pattern while not annoying other drivers. Car manufacturers may use auto leveling to help achieve best results but that’s impractical with conversions.

My wife’s Subaru Forester has HID’s. The headlights have auto leveling. I have had cars with HID’s but no mention of auto leveling in manual.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post