SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some celebrities 'are' different
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some celebrities 'are' different Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Ok, I thought this was a very positive and encouraging story, and thought I'd share. Lord knows in the current environment something positive is a treat for a change. We beat on Hollywood types and celebrities all the time, and rightfully so in many cases. But when one of them does something right, I think we should offer them an attaboy too. Watch the video and see what you think. It put a smile on my face today.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice gesture, but I'd be even more impressed if it was all done anonymously without fanfare.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Wow ... very cool, thanks for sharing !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Very nice gesture, but I'd be even more impressed if it was all done anonymously without fanfare.

Out of cornflakes this morning?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

How could you be impressed at all if it was done that way?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
Out of cornflakes this morning?
bigwagon has a point, though imperfectly stated.

Posts: 107552 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Matthew 25:40
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

As to anonymity, I think it’s near impossible in today’s culture for a celebrity to do anything anonymously. So why not use that celebrity to influence for good? Why not improve the culture and inspire others?Why not by contrast be a good example and rehabilitate the culture of Hollywood?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

All depends on who made the info public.
If Timberlake kept the gift private with the family, great. It helps them and makes him feel good.
Then if the family spreads story, so what.

If he showed up with a film crew to do a "Look at what a great guy I am"
Then, yeah thats a dick, self serving move.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:

All depends on who made the info public.
If Timberlake kept the gift private with the family, great. It helps them and makes him feel good.
Then if the family spreads story, so what.

I have to admit to feeling a bit this, possible because I don’t have a very positive view of Mr. Timberlake. (Not that that is particularly fair given I’ve never met him.). However, it does occur that even if he had some self serving interest in doing it, it still was quite a positive thing for the young man and his family.

To be fair, I don’t know who created the video. I ass-u-me Timberlake, and dock him points accordingly, but that may not be the case. It could be the family just wanted to say thanks. (Not my guess, but I’ll acknowledge the possibility.)

It is still a great thing for the family, and at least we can smile about that, even if we cynical about Mr. Timberlake’s motives.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My interpretation is that Timberlake is trying to get more people to play it forward.

I didn't here anything about this but here.

If he cranked up his publicity machine everyone would have heard about it.

Be as cynical as you want. He made one family and and especially the son better off.

Good for him.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

Agreed. I've seen more than a couple videos showing celebrities visiting hospitals, disabled fans, etc., and "coincidentally", a professional film crew happened to be there to capture the moment. Roll Eyes

This looked like it was done by the family without orchestration by Timberlake. Good on him.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Guys, how about we simply take this on face value and recognize the guy for doing something that benefitted that young man and his family.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video Unavailable, listed as private.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Video Unavailable, listed as private.

I guess Timberlake took it down. Wink Too much publicity.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal, the link doesn't work for me but I would like to see it. What can I search on YouTube?

Agreed, I like to see good news of people acting altruistically.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If they claim to be different but don't speak out then they are all the same.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ve been fortunate enough to come across several celebrities in social situations.

When I was a student at Northrop University in 1980 I became friends and roommates with a guy I knew as Preston. Really nice guy. Smart and helpful in getting me through the A&P portion of my avionics program.

Went for dinner with him and his family one night. Turns out his last name is Hagman and his dad was Larry.

Whine there I was a member of EAA Chapter 11 and met a number of celebrities who would show up at the meetings or airport events. They were all just like us - interested and passionate about airplanes and home building. I was advised by a friend that they would talk about anything for hours except their day jobs. This was their escape.

When I emigrated to the US I was living in Williamstown, MA and working at Turboprop International. Within a few days everyone was asking if I met Chris yet. I kept saying no. One afternoon an airplane rolls up to the door and this guy jumps out and gives me the keys. Hops in a beater car and takes off.

We chatted really briefly about what he wanted done so I’m making out my list when I’m asked what I thought of meeting Chris. I looked at one of the mechanics sort of puzzled and said that he seemed like a regular guy. Nothing special.

Turns out it was Chris Reeves and he was a local guy who used to just hang out at the airport or down at Esposito’s Flying Service and just talk about airplanes.

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post