SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigform yearly automobile battery recommedation thread: Version 2019
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigform yearly automobile battery recommedation thread: Version 2019 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought many a battery, but the last 2 I’ve bought have been NAPA premium. They still are serving me well.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small one man battery manufacturer very close to me, Arc Battery in Sausalito, CA. He makes the best batteries he possibly can. You get an idea of their quality when lifting an Arc Battery up. They are 20% heavier than the battery they are replacing. Usually they last a minimum of 7 years, and sometimes they go 9.

I have purchased these locally made batteries for 20 years when in the yacht repair business, plus another 12. If you can find a local battery manufacturer, it might be a good way to go.

As to the price, they are LESS expensive than store bought batteries. This is probably because there are no middlemen or high overhead stores. Note that I have seen the Interstate truck pickup rare sized 8 volt marine batteries, for 32 volt systems, from Arc Battery.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Heat is the battery killer. One thing I noticed about batteries when I moved to Florida from Wisconsin is the warranties in Florida were shorter.

In Florida, batteries just fail outright or you notice the engine doesn't crank as fast as normal. In Wisconsin, everything seems fine until the first real cold snap and your car doesn't start. The cold didn't kill the battery, but rather the battery was marginal to begin with and couldn't produce enough juice when cold to start the car.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by J387:
Otherwise I would stick with OEM...
I will never grasp this response. What is an OEM battery? One with a Motorcraft, or Honda sticker on top and a price premium attached? Car manufacturers outsource batteries, so OEM is nothing more than whatever they could source the cheapest. Same reason you'll find different tires on the same vehicle across model years.
A good example is my "Nissan" battery lasted a paltry 2.5 years on my 2.5 year old truck. The only nice thing about it was full warranty including labor when an autoparts store likely would've been full warranty 2 years and then sliding scale warranty and zero money for labor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal: Almost all current batteries are inferior to what they were years ago (Ex. Optima). As such I look for the least expensive, longest/best warranty I can find. That's been Walmart batteries of late. And to date, they've been every bit as good as anything else I've bought while being substantially less expensive.

I'm not so sure about that. In my experience, coming out from school or work on a cold winter day and having a dead battery was far more common a few decades ago.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am NOT a member of Costco or Sam's.

Walmart, they remove, dispose of the old and install the new, good prices decent battery.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I bought my 2010 Toyota brand new, and still have it. I have put a miserly 66K on it, original battery shows no sign of giving up the ghost.

(Knocks on wood)

Posts in December 2, 2019 that his battery died and had to buy a new one.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put a Farm and Fleet Platinum in yesterday. I think the last 4 batteries I've bought have been F&F Platinums. They come with a 7 year warranty.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I just put a F&F Platinum in my daughter's car. She never drives out of town and her batteries don't last long. F&F replaced her old one under warranty.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Has to be getting close to time to replace the Optima red top in the truck...I'll be monitoring the discussion.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I prefer Optima Red Top batteries. I have never had an issue with them, and they have outlasted all other batteries I have owned.

Same here. it's what I use too.

I know some think their quality has gone down, but every one I've bought has lasted the balance of the time I've owned the car/truck.

For me I don't care about paying a little more to never have to worry about it again, as compared to an "affordable" battery.

Their blue tops are still good too. I have a pair that I bought in 2012 and (I think) 2009. Use them all summer, put them on Battery Tender over the winter and still going strong. That's crazy.

Other really good battery is whoever makes OEM for BMW. I just replaced one from 2009. Eek Yes, I keep that on a Tender as well when not driving regularly, but that's nuts.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I use Motorcraft. Most of these mentioned are good batteries. Get the highest CCA for the size and one with a good warranty.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I prefer Optima Red Top batteries. I have never had an issue with them, and they have outlasted all other batteries I have owned.

Same here. it's what I use too.

I know some think their quality has gone down, but every one I've bought has lasted the balance of the time I've owned the car/truck.

For me I don't care about paying a little more to never have to worry about it again, as compared to an "affordable" battery.

Their blue tops are still good too. I have a pair that I bought in 2012 and (I think) 2009. Use them all summer, put them on Battery Tender over the winter and still going strong. That's crazy.

Other really good battery is whoever makes OEM for BMW. I just replaced one from 2009. Eek Yes, I keep that on a Tender as well when not driving regularly, but that's nuts.

A few of the center consoles I manage have Optimas, usually 3-4 batteries per boat, the battery trays are cut for the stupid shape of the Optimas. Since they moved their manufacturing to Mexico several years back. I can tell you from my experience, they're no better than the equivalent Deka AGM, which is good to very good, but not great. I'm seeing 3 years +/- out of them......On one boat the first set went 6.5 years, same boat, same replacement batteries and they were bad 39 months later.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
On my sixth year on a Wally Everstart, just had it tested, the print out says it is still good.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
PROJECT FARM Battery test (2019)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The problem with Project Farm’s tests is that he only tests new products. He does the same with motor oil, etc. The true test to see what the best battery is if he could test older batteries and see how they function after 2 or 3 years. Like he states, his videos are for entertainment.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Yes but if you were to test used batteries, you'd have a lot more variables.
You would have to have half a dozen of the same make, model, year of car and drive the same hours, miles and speed.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
You would have to have half a dozen of the same make, model, year of car and drive the same hours, miles and speed.

Not to mention the same temperature range, day by day.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

Don’t get me wrong, I like watching his videos, but I know it would be a major undertaking to test batteries in real-world conditions for him. Id like to see CR test some in that fashion.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I can tell you from my experience, they're no better than the equivalent Deka AGM, which is good to very good, but not great. I'm seeing 3 years +/- out of them......On one boat the first set went 6.5 years, same boat, same replacement batteries and they were bad 39 months later.

Running a Deka AGM in my Forester 6 years now.........going strong.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post