SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigform yearly automobile battery recommedation thread: Version 2019
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigform yearly automobile battery recommedation thread: Version 2019 Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Obvious title, what is current consensus on a quality battery? When I replaced my battery last time, Interstate came recommended. Last post I saw about vehicle batteries, I noticed comments stating their customer satisfaction had gone down.

Current Interstate is 7yrs old, and still works. This is more for a piece of mind, so I am not interested in the "get a load test, my battery is 20yrs old and still going strong" comments. LOL. I have had a catastrophic battery failure (it exploded while trying to start my car), and I don't want to get stranded when I don't need to be stranded. My 60 month battery has had a good run.

I am NOT a member of Costco or Sam's.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My shop had been recommending replacement for a couple of years. This autumn I began to notice a disquieting hesitation and finally told them to do it. They put in the "better" Deka for $210 installed. I feel like I'm good for another six years. The OEM AC•Delco would have been my first choice if the exact same specs were still available.

Guys in the business had recommended buying the cheapest ACDelco available and putting it in myself. Maybe I spent another $75 or so, but the Deka sure seems solid.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
7 years out of your Interstate seems to answer your question.

I bought two AGM batteries for my truck a few years ago, but it's too early to tell if they'll be any better in the Florida sun. I used a 25 or 30% off coupon at Advanced Auto Parts to get the proce down to $135 each before tax.

These were made by Johnson Controls no known as Clarios.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
While some will say Interstate's reviews have gone down, I'm still a big fan of theirs.

That's what I would go with.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I went with Die Hard Gold last time I replaced a batter which was in my Honda Civic.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are sticking with a traditional wet cell battery then Ford’s Motorcraft is certainly what you seek.
I have had great luck with them.

Though for newer vehicles with lots of electronic gizmos or my vehicle that sees a decent amount of off-road vibrations I have made the switch to AGM batteries and have a NAPA Legend that has been going strong for quite sometime.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have used the Walmart Maxx Ever Start since the early 80's when replacing a battery. They usually last 7 years and then I use them for a few more years on my Bolens lawn tractors.

I only had one failure the first year on a battery and they replaced it for free.

I is nice that they have stores all over the area in case one goes bad since they have a 3 year free replacement. Also their prices are competitive.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I only buy batteries made by East Penn now. The last 2 Interstates (Johnson Controls/Clarios) I bought were junk. One leaked (had to be replaced) and the other had to be replaced twice under warranty (wouldn’t hold charge/weak). There are only 3 companies that make batteries that I am aware of. East Penn, Exide, and Johnson Controls/Clarios. The Duracell brand made by East Penn is a good battery.

You’ll read a lot of bad about Exide and Johnson Controls/Clarios batteries when researching.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I prefer Optima Red Top batteries. I have never had an issue with them, and they have outlasted all other batteries I have owned.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I just had my oem battery on Subaru replaced. It made it 5 years and always sounded like it was going to die. It also only has 325 cold cranking amps. So I replaced it for the "piece of mind".

Unless you notice it having difficulty I would just keep the interstate. None of the 5+ batteries I have had ever failed.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
You can special order a odyssey battery at autozone if price is not a concern. Otherwise I would stick with OEM or find the lowest price battery with the best warranty.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I just get an Interstate at Costco. Good prices and they last as long as any.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I prefer Optima Red Top batteries. I have never had an issue with them, and they have outlasted all other batteries I have owned.

Same here. it's what I use too.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
In today's world most batteries are being made at the same place by the same companies, just different labels.
I choose to buy affordable batteries from places that are common anywhere I'd go.
I have a noco jumper that'll get me going to that common store if needed.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see how long batteries last given where members live.

Is the heat or cold worse for a battery?

I know there are also other factors such as engine size, need more CCA for the larger motors, but in general, does heat or cold kill a battery quicker?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I just had my oem battery on Subaru replaced. It made it 5 years and always sounded like it was going to die. It also only has 325 cold cranking amps. So I replaced it for the "piece of mind".

Unless you notice it having difficulty I would just keep the interstate. None of the 5+ batteries I have had ever failed.

Ronin, ironically, this is why asked. I recall your post, and I drive a Subaru.

It's kept in a garage, and even though temps have not gotten to the extreme yet, it does seem like it hesitates. I park outside during the day, and I just don't want to get stuck at work longer than I have to.

My "catastrophic" failure sounded like a 12 gauge going off, I actually thought I was being shot at. The battery exploded, which I'm guessing was caused by a crossing over or deterioration of the battery cells. Luckily no damage, but I had to ask a coworker to give me a ride to pick up a new battery. I've heard of batteries exploding when people use jumper cables and mix up the +/-.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have found Consumer reports ratings can vary by size of the battery. A general rating follows, and "yes", I too have been buying the Walmart EverStart batteries, as they are considerably cheaper than other brands and very highly rated.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of AC/Delco batteries, I had nothing
but good service of this brand through the years.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
It would be interesting to see how long batteries last given where members live.

Is the heat or cold worse for a battery?

I know there are also other factors such as engine size, need more CCA for the larger motors, but in general, does heat or cold kill a battery quicker?

five years

Under these conditions, you can probably expect your car battery life to be about six years. On average, a car battery lasts between two and five years. If you live in the northern United States, your car battery lifespan will be longer, because you're in a cold climate.Nov 30, 2015
YourMechanic › article › how-long-does-a-car-battery-last
How Long Does a Car Battery Last? | YourMechanic Advice

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:

Ronin, ironically, this is why asked. I recall your post, and I drive a Subaru.

It's kept in a garage, and even though temps have not gotten to the extreme yet, it does seem like it hesitates. I park outside during the day, and I just don't want to get stuck at work longer than I have to.

My "catastrophic" failure sounded like a 12 gauge going off, I actually thought I was being shot at. The battery exploded, which I'm guessing was caused by a crossing over or deterioration of the battery cells. Luckily no damage, but I had to ask a coworker to give me a ride to pick up a new battery. I've heard of batteries exploding when people use jumper cables and mix up the +/-.

Here is a prior post as to our Subaru battery replacement:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5480092164/p/1

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post