SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    36 year old Chicago Accountant (and beer league hockey player) Stops Every Shot as Blackhawks' Emergency Goalie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

36 year old Chicago Accountant (and beer league hockey player) Stops Every Shot as Blackhawks' Emergency Goalie Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
A great moment for all of us Walter Mitties! Pocketa pocketa pocketa!

The original Walter, not the remake!!!

That guy will remember that for the rest of his life. Funny it was 15 minutes, that's his 15 minutes of fame. He'll be talking about that over beers forever!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
What a great experience for him! Great job Scott!

With all the B.S. stuff going on in sports today - this is an awesome story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
It would seem that these days we just don't hear many good old fashioned feel good stories and this is exactly what this is. I love it! I think it is pretty cool the way the NHL handles these back ups. It is even better that he is a fellow Western Michigan University grad!

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emergency backups usually just have a great seat for the game. Every once in awhile they'll play. I saw something similar at a minor league game in Wichita years ago.

Here's his stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/s...isplay.php?pid=41251

Here are his other stats:
http://www.nationalguard.mil/p...gomo/bio/2/2354.html

At the time of the game in 1998, he was a 41 year old Lt. Col B-1 pilot in the KS ANG.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet it’s a long time until he has to pay for his beer.

Keep that Old Style Beer coming.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
A great moment for all of us Walter Mitties! Pocketa pocketa pocketa!

The original Walter, not the remake!!!

Of course! Actually, the James Thurber story, but the Danny Kaye movie was my first exposure to it. We won't talk about the remake. Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great story, if you aren't a Francis.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Great story. Even in today's jaded sports world, the little guy can win sometimes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Good for him. I'm not much of a hockey fan but I'm betting these guys are vetted pretty well.

I wonder if he had a fitbit or some other device that measures heart rate? I would imagine it was sky high, at least at first.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I hope Mr. Foster greatly enjoys his 14 and half minutes of fame! Smile Great that he had a shutout! Fun story.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Great "feel good" story!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The NHL adjusted its rules last summer to mandate that teams have an emergency goalie present for all home games ready to fill in for either team — setting the stage for Foster's most competitive action since 20 minutes in relief with Western Michigan University in the 2005-06 season.

That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. "John the janitor, go be the emergency goalie for the other team. We have playoffs coming up, try to let a few by."

Why cant one of the PROFESSIONAL hockey players on the team, that actually plays hockey for a living and knows a lot more about hockey that John the janitor, and actually has a reason to play hard and win, put the gear on and go be the emergency goalie?

They are not just pulling "John the janitor" off the streets. This guy was a D1 goalie in college and still plays adult league. Granted a long way from the pros but definitely experienced playing the position. I think he did much better than a random NHL forward or D-man would do.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
And to Aeteocles' question about the visiting team wanting an "emergency" goalie...why wouldn't they? It would be their chance to exploit the inexperience of said "emergency" goalie and win the game if they're behind. I guess Mr. Foster proved that theory wrong.

I think the point is not a case like this where the emergency goalie hired by the home team, but a case where the emergency goalie has to sub in for the visitors. Imagine Mr Foster playing against the folks who hired him. It would be a bit of an awkward spot for him, and how comfortable would the visitors be that he would really give them his best?

quote:
CONGRATS for your day of glory, Scott Foster

Congrats indeed. He rocked it!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. "John the janitor, go be the emergency goalie for the other team. We have playoffs coming up, try to let a few by."

Why cant one of the PROFESSIONAL hockey players on the team, that actually plays hockey for a living and knows a lot more about hockey that John the janitor, and actually has a reason to play hard and win, put the gear on and go be the emergency goalie?

Playing goal in hockey is a unique position. All of the goalie's equipment is different from that of the other skaters, and so is most of what you do in practice. It's far better to have someone who at one time played at a fairly high level, and can step in at a moments notice than it is to have to dress one of your non goaltender trained players.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/n...it-could-soon-change

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The NHL adjusted its rules last summer to mandate that teams have an emergency goalie present for all home games ready to fill in for either team — setting the stage for Foster's most competitive action since 20 minutes in relief with Western Michigan University in the 2005-06 season.

Goalie are the highest trained and worked with players on the ice and while a forward, center or D man strap on the pads, they have no skill to play the spot.

It would be the same as having a centerfielder coming in to be the starting pitcher.
Having a universal pool isn't as horrid as it seems because the frequency of emergency goalies coming in under these circumstances is exceedingly rare. I think the first one in more than a decade was last season. It's like looking for a 4 leaf clover.

That's happened plenty of times. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Not to take anything away from his awesome performance and probably the high light of his life but,
He lives in Oak Park IL. a declared nuclear free zone and gun free zone. He could put 100% concentration on his hockey play because he knew his family was safe back home.

What a great story.

By the way, my son lives in Oak Park and it is definitely home to lots of snowflakes. My son is one of the few people on his block who doesn't have a "Hate Has No Home Here" or other idiotic virtue-signaling sign in his yard.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Not to take anything away from his awesome performance and probably the high light of his life but,
He lives in Oak Park IL. a declared nuclear free zone and gun free zone. He could put 100% concentration on his hockey play because he knew his family was safe back home.

Srsly?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess how much money he was paid for his appearance??? NOTHING. Of course he can auction his jersey and has a good story. Here is the link:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/s...ntract-pay-jets-nhl/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I wore my (last place) Blackhawks hat in Blues country yesterday, kinda expecting a hard time from someone. I was ready say it's for Foster, didja see that??

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.hockey-reference.c...ers/f/fostesc01.html

he's got his own entry on hockey-reference.com more than all of us can say

amazing story he can tell his grandkids.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post