SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fresh BLTs....is there anything better?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh BLTs....is there anything better? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
Sorry folks. It was gone before I could get a picture of it. It's been a few years since I've had a fresh homemade one and man was it good. I think I was eating the bacon off the stack as fast as my dad could fry it up.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nothing better.

Lightly toasted white bread. Copious amounts of bacon. Thickly sliced tomatoes. Fresh, crisp lettuce. And a very light spreading of mayo.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Couple of months from now I will be plucking fresh ripe tomatoes of the vine and eating BLT's twice a week. For me they are only consumed when I have my beautiful home grown tomatoes. Store bought tomatoes are for the uninformed, if you can't grow your own, find a farmers market. The difference is amazing.

I add cheese and onion to mine, but I add cheese and onion to just about everything I cook.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I add cheese and onion to mine, but I add cheese and onion to just about everything I cook.

You may have been electrocuted one too many times.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Ha!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If we're talking BLTs at breakfast time, I love tossing on an ham-cheese-mushroom-scallion-siraccha omlet to the mix. Makes one hell of a messy thick sandwich with the lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo, but damn good!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yummy!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I prefer it on lightly toasted rye with a slice or two of deli American cheese.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I like cheese but never thought about it on a BLT. Oh well. That gives me an excuse to make more.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I like my BLT without the L, and prefer rye or whole wheat, instead of white bread. Or maybe on a baguette, if I happen to find one in the kitchen

And Duke's. Don't forget the Duke's.

I keep hearing a bout those special tomatoes grown in Virginia -- Hanover? I have not had the opportunity to try one, but my Virginia friends tell me how great they are.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
True love?

Wait, I've this backwards.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
From “White Trash Cooking” by Ernest Matthew Mickler

KITCHEN SINK TOMATO SANDWICH

“In the peak of the tomato season, chill 1 very large or 2 medium tomatoes that have been vine-ripened and have a good acidy bite to their taste.
Take two slices of bread . Coat them with ¼ inch of good mayonnaise.
On one piece of bread, slice the tomato ¼ inch thick. Salt and pepper that layer. Add another layer of sliced tomato, and again salt and pepper. Place the other piece of bread on top of this, roll up your sleeves, and commence to eat over the kitchen sink while the juice runs down your elbows.”

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just don't put guacamole on it, because then you'll have an LGBT.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Only thing better than a fresh BLT would be 2 BLTs. Big Grin

There used to be a retailer in the Chicagoland area called Venture. They made some really good BLTs. I don't miss Venture but I sure have great memories of their BLTs.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I like BLT's true to their name, nothing added except toasted bread ( wheat )and coupous amounts of mayo along with s&p. That's all it needs!!

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Only thing better than a fresh BLT would be 2 BLTs. Big Grin

Or a BBBBBBBLT Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
A good BLT is in my top 3 or 4 sammiches

I like crispy-cold hearts of romaine and a 1" thick slice of beefsteak tomato.

"Butter" the bread with real mayo and toast lightly. Add quality thick bacon slices (at least 6).

Add pepper to taste, thousand island on top, more mayo on the bottom

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
We used to donate blood at a church in Manassas, VA that gave you a BLT afterwards as a reward. Every time they ran a collection, we were there.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
TTIWWOP

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
TTIWWOP

I like your style, except for the wimp lettuce. Wink

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post