SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for a toaster that actually works?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for a toaster that actually works? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a 2 or 4 slot popup unit that does a decent job toasting both sides of a slice of bread evenly. Bought one recommended by CR a while ago but they either didn’t test it or mine’s defective cause when one side’s browned, the other’s still white! Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
We have a Breville. Works well.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The stainless steel Cuisinart 2-slot we've had for several years has been terrific.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second chellim1, Breville 4-slot. Not inexpensive, but toasts reliably on both sides, different sizes of bread.

Despite all the electronic controls, they seem to last 7 years or so.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. When I go to the Breville website it shows 7 different models, some 2-slot and some 4. Which one(s) do you guys have?

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krups toaster, I had one. Be aware, the toaster might throw the toast in the air. Scared the GF.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Krups toaster, I had one. Be aware, the toaster might throw the toast in the air. Scared the GF.

Had/have one. It's in for warranty repair after 6 months with use maybe 3x week 4 slices. We'll see how they respond to the warranty.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'm following this because I need one myself. The biggest issue with mine is unless the slice of bread is quite large the top of it doesn't raise above the top of the toaster when done so I have to unplug the thing and try to spear it out with a fork.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I'm following this because I need one myself. The biggest issue with mine is unless the slice of bread is quite large the top of it doesn't raise above the top of the toaster when done so I have to unplug the thing and try to spear it out with a fork.

My half-working toaster has the same problem with “buried” slices, but I can give the handle a quick upward push when it’s done and it’ll fling the toast upward high enough to grab it above the slot.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Breville here as well. Ours has a "bagel" button for toasting one side only, which is how I use it most for English Muffins. The wife makes regular bread toast, and it does both sides the same.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Cuisinart 4 slice toaster and it's pretty good but I certainly wouldn't call it the best toaster out there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My “toaster” is a Breville Smart Grill:

www.amazon.com/dp/B003SIN0BC/r..._api_i_m-2tDbHFPZ10H

I’ve had it for years. It toasts up to four slices of bread (both sides) at a time. Especially good for dense breads that give ordinary toasters trouble. Or, opened up, up to eight slices of bread (one side at a time). It’ll also toast panini, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. And I can bake a single 2oz piece of cornbread, when I want one, in about 4 minutes (Marie Callender cornbread mix). Flat plates top and bottom. An irregular blob of stiff dough produces a smooth oval piece of cornbread. I use nonstick aluminum foil for this operation.

It’ll also cook steaks, chops, sausages, burger patties, etc. from both top and bottom – VERY fast.

And bacon! I put a ribbed plate on the bottom (the grease drains away in its groves). Put the bacon in cold, set the temp to 410 °F. 4-1/2 minutes after set temperature is achieved, the bacon is baked crispy, and utterly flat.

Design, material, and construction are top notch. The Breville holds its own among my Swiss and German kitchen appliances.

In working position it takes some counter space (especially when opened up to create a LOT of griddle surface). But closed, and stood up on its back legs, about the same space as a four-slot pop up toaster.

Comes with one ribbed plate and one flat plate, each of which can be put in top or bottom position. I have an extra pair for complete flexibility. Heating elements are imbedded in the removable plates for fast heating and precise temperature control. 1800W. Put the plates in the sink and apply detergent and scrub brush for fast cleanup.

Best appliance ever to reheat pizza. Flat plate on the bottom, then set the built-in hold-up mechanism to hover the top plate slightly above the pizza.

A very versatile appliance. I could go on for awhile…

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^. I have the same Breville Smart Grill. We have 5 or 6 in the family.

I use it almost every day.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Breville Die-Cast 4-Slice Smart Toaster, not the toaster oven.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They don't make 'em like they used to. Not sure what we'd get if this unit took a dump....

Guess we've been lucky. Our Kenmore KTES4 long slot 4-slice toaster continues to hum along with daily use after well over 2 decades of use. Toasts both sides evenly. Handles bagels or frozen items without issues. Nice adjustable toasting control. Easy to remove and clean crumb tray.

Looked for a vintage picture online. Found this 2000 newspaper ad:

And this from another site:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I used to have a really cheap toaster. I think I bought it at K-Mart around 2001 for cheap. If you looked inside, the heating wires were ‘crinkled’, not smooth, and very thick. They were also spaced very closely, and had a reflective board they were wrapped around. I threw it out because my wife (when we first moved in together) has a really fancy toaster that I thought was cool. It sucked and I wish I had kept my cheap toaster.

I am also in the market for a toaster, but I will only buy one based on how the heating wires are on the inside.

Thinking about it, makes me want to get a cheap toaster and re-string the heating wires with something thicker and crinkled, spaced closely. When my wife posts that my house burned down, you know my toaster project failed. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Here’s a pretty interesting article in toasters:

Link to Article

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There are lots of “vintage toasters” on eBay, including a brand new NOS (new in the box but vintage)1960’s era toaster.

I don’t have a traditional toaster, I think I’ll peruse the Estate Sales locally and see if I can find a good old one. Ya never know.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wish speed was a toaster metric. One thing I really like about my panasonic oven is that it only takes 3 minutes to toast on the dark setting. Prior toaster took about 6-7 minutes for similar toast.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My folks replaced the toaster they lost in a flood in 1955. It was still working well in the early 90s when I had to clear out their estate.

One of those 'shouldda kept it' things....

Seems like I'm having to find a replacement every few years regardless of what gem I think I've found next.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post