SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice please on Ear muffs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice please on Ear muffs Login/Join 
Picture of bushpilot
posted
My grandson broke my ear muffs today. They were used for shooting, working around aircraft, and mowing. They were getting long in the tooth as the pads around the muffs were getting hard so no big loss.

I want to get a new pair and would like to hear your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not to be petty, but what type of NRR does he need. Working around aircraft could be anything from piston singles to jets, and shooting is always problematic as the ones that protect well are a b***** to use on an AR (for example). And do they need to be behind the head or over. The MSA supreme I happen to like but I wear earplugs underneath. The Peltor ground mechanic I use for real life. But if you can get some details those are the two best choices in terms of brand (but not model).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Built similar to the headsets, and can replace the pads. I think they will take the cloth pad covers as well (for when it get hot mowing in the summer).

https://www.amazon.com/David-C...NZ2NDB9J1Z6DJS5B6MSK

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The questions you need to answer to get good feedback from the membership here are:
  • How much noise reduction (NRR) are you looking for?
  • Electric or passive?
  • Used indoor, outdoor, or both?
  • Used with rifle, pistol, or both?
  • How much are you willing to spend?
If you can answer those questions, this group will no doubt offer you a plethora of suggestions.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Howard Leight.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The questions you need to answer to get good feedback from the membership here are:

How much noise reduction (NRR) are you looking for? DOWN TO SAFE LEVELS
Electric or passive? PASSIVE
Used indoor, outdoor, or both? BOTH
Used with rifle, pistol, or both? BOTH also use ear plugs
How much are you willing to spend? No more than necessary

1. Would use them for mowing with zero turn mower and weedeater
2. Cutting wood on table saw and with skil saw and air nailer
3. Shooting .223, .308, .40 Cal pistol

In other words, a good all purpose ear protector. I have three David Clark aviation head sets and a Light Speed Noise cancelling aviation headset but these are all well over $200 each and would not use them for the purposes outlined above. A also use ear plugs with the D.C. units due to the damaging high frequencies from turbine engines and the feedback from the starter generators through the avionics.

My son has a folding pair, Browning I think, that is pretty good.

Thanks for your input.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
quote:

How much noise reduction (NRR) are you looking for? DOWN TO SAFE LEVELS
Electric or passive? PASSIVE
Used indoor, outdoor, or both? BOTH
Used with rifle, pistol, or both? BOTH also use ear plugs
How much are you willing to spend? No more than necessary

1. Would use them for mowing with zero turn mower and weedeater
2. Cutting wood on table saw and with skil saw and air nailer
3. Shooting .223, .308, .40 Cal pistol

In other words, a good all purpose ear protector. I have three David Clark aviation head sets and a Light Speed Noise cancelling aviation headset but these are all well over $200 each and would not use them for the purposes outlined above. A also use ear plugs with the D.C. units due to the damaging high frequencies from turbine engines and the feedback from the starter generators through the avionics.

My son has a folding pair, Browning I think, that is pretty good.

Thanks for your input.
Then I'd suggest either of these would be a good choice, while not breaking the bank. Just add a pair of earplugs when shooting indoors or firing large calibers outdoors.

Walker's Game Ear Razor Slim Lot's of colors to choose from.

Howard Leight Impact Sport Again, some color options here too.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Howard Leight.

Second this.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations fellas. Will be ordering the Howard Leight and will let you know how they work for me.

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Howard Leight.

Second this.

Third^^^^

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
R. I bought a couple pair probably almost ten years ago. Still on the original batteries on both Eek
You will like them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post