SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many DE safety razor blades do you stock pile?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many DE safety razor blades do you stock pile? Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
SO after switching to the DE safety razor about a year ago I have settled with a Feather AS-D2 handle and Astra superior premium platinum blades. While window shopping on Amazon I came across a 4 count of 100 blade boxs for $32.16 and said to my self what the hell that should last 4 or 5 years and ordered them. That got me wondering what and how many the DE safety shavers of Sig forum stock pile? Hray

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hray,

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Muleman244
posted Hide Post
Don't have a proper count, But I'm probably good to retirement(49 now). Got caught in a "panic" several years ago when P&G started buying and closing good brands.

---------------------------------------
NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 236 | Location: Grifton, NC USA | Registered: September 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Just purchased. Thanks for pointing out the deal!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
I still have and use my 1942 military star razor de, which was my uncles who passed it on to me, it has been around the world many times, flew with me, and is still kickin, I get 10 blades for $1.50 keep about 50 on hand.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Placed an order.
That is a great deal. I can usually go a week on a blade so .08 per week is pretty reasonable.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Being off active duty now, I don't shave every day. I use a blade for 2 shaves each. Shave on one side, flip it for the next shave.

Much cheaper and closer shaves than the old 4/5 blade cartridges I used to buy.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muleman244:
Don't have a proper count, But I'm probably good to retirement(49 now). Got caught in a "panic" several years ago when P&G started buying and closing good brands.

P&G did buy these. My nephew seems to think quality has gone down since then but the ones I have are good. Not sure what yr. mine were made.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of trying this.

What should I do for the handle that is good quality and not too expensive, letting me try DE out before investing a lot.

Thanks

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I think I have about 1200 blades stock piled at this point. Should be good to go for the foreseeable future.

Gillette Silver Blues, PolSilver, Voskhod, Rapira, Personna Red make up the bulk of my stash. Also have small quantities of others I got as samplers or with razors.

Another 200 Derby that my wife uses, as I am not a fan of them.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

What should I do for the handle that is good quality and not too expensive, letting me try DE out before investing a lot.

Thanks

Maggard’s has their starter kit on sale right now $29.99 for razor, brush, blades, soap, doubt you’ll find a better or cheaper way to give it a go.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/...s-basic-starter-kit/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered a 100 pack of Feather blades when I was down to my last couple of blades from a sampler of approximately 70 blades. Feather and Derby seemed to work best for me in a Merkur HD 34C.

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks

Edwin Jager good quality at a very reasonable price. I like Astra blades.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...ELIZ4Gk6L&ref=plSrch

To the OP. I use a blade twice I very coarse beard I could go 3x with some blades but they are so cheap why bother. I use around a 100 a year.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I'm down to 20, I reorder another Box of (100) from eBay. 10. Bucks. I've been very happy with Astra platinum.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prolly have 2+ years worth now. Astra blades seem to be universally praised.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Bought a whole mess of Gillette silver blues a while back. Not sure how long they will last, especially since my shaving habits vary widely, and I have the occasional pack get confiscated by security. Apparently there is some debate about the safety and utility of safety razor blades.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have one. I use it to remove the registration sticker from my car windshield.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
So what's the big deal about shaving cream? One is supposed to pay $$$ to get some fancy soap, a fancy brush and bowl? What's wrong with the inexpensive cans of shaving cream?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the big deal about shaving cream? One is supposed to pay $$$ to get some fancy soap, a fancy brush and bowl? What's wrong with the inexpensive cans of shaving cream?

Lubricity, warmth, and closeness of shave. And while I do have some expensive brushes and soaps, they don't need to break the bank. Van Der Hagen luxury soap is an outstanding deal at a 3.5oz puck for around $5. And a simple pure badger brush can be had for $10. No need to spend big bucks for a silvertip although they are indeed luxurious.

As to the OPs query about razor blade stockpiles, I'm not a DE guy but rather an injector fan. A few years back I jumped on a cache of long discontinued Schick Platinum Plus blades which I always felt were the best ever made. In retirement I slowly went from daily shaving to every couple days to now almost never. I've had a beard for decades and shaving just involved my cheeks, neck, and the bald area of my head (to catch the few strays). These days my beard trimmer keeps the neck area short and I've left the checks to go wild. I do have to weed whack my head every so often though.

So my stash was originally good for 5 to 7 years (yup a LOT of injectors) but now I consider them a life long supply. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can use the can stuff if you like. The soap will out last several cans of cheap stuff though. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I equate it to eating at Mac Donalds vs. any non-fast food place where you take your time, and enjoy yourself.
Sometimes we don't have the luxury of time but having experienced both, you know the difference.
Personally, my biggest gripe wasn't the canned foam but $$$ multi-blade cartridges. If you can afford the cartridges, you can afford a puck or two of soap and a brush.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post