SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you know this? TPMS Sensor..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know this? TPMS Sensor.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I put the M in there .38supersig.. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Local tire shop should have a small device they can go around and check your sensors individually.
Thank you, I will ask about that.
I used to have good luck with Discount Tire. They can 'relearn' the sensors on most makes. Of course they also have sensors in case any need replacing.
Costco does very well doing the very same services.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had a 2005 Honda Pilot that would tell me which tire was low; problem was, at least one would come on whenever it got cold.

My 2012 Silverado tells me the actual pressure of each tire, on the dash and in the app. Likewise with a 2016 GMC Acadia Denali we had. Traded it in on a 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring, which also tells me the pressure of each tire on the dash and in the app.

Over the years I’ve probably purchased 10 sets of tires from Discount Tire, and replaced the TPMS sensors with each new set; never had a problem.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing to be aware of is my Toyota 4Runner requires all the units to be "retrained" when a rotation is done or it will show a fault. Forever. My 19 GM product will relearn the position just by driving it for a few minutes. Don't know if this is true for all vehicles by these 2 mfgrs but it is for mine.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Another thing to be aware of is my Toyota 4Runner requires all the units to be "retrained" when a rotation is done or it will show a fault. Forever. My 19 GM product will relearn the position just by driving it for a few minutes. Don't know if this is true for all vehicles by these 2 mfgrs but it is for mine.
That is good to know. The dash light went out this morning after a few highway miles. Tire pressure is good. Maybe the cold temps cause this. Going down to 7 degrees this evening so we will see.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
What do you know of TPS sensors?
Made by Initech
Para I find only a fragrance company by that name.

Initech’s headquarters burned down several years ago. That could explain it.

Try the ones made by Initrode if you can’t find Initech units.

-Rob

I think you're jumping to conclusions.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
They got batteries in them.
<snip>

I suspect that the TPMS of my 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited doesn’t have any batteries. I think it’s powered by piezoelectric devices or an induction system. I.e. a coil and rectifier in the tire passes by a fixed magnet.

The reason for my suspicion: The display doesn’t report tire pressure until I’ve driven a quarter mile or so. Does that guess sound reasonable?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Local tire shop should have a small device they can go around and check your sensors individually.
And if that TPS report doesn't have a cover sheet, send it back.

(I'm a very bad man)

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You only need a cover sheet if you worked on two or more projects in a given period.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ten bucks will get you a roll of electrical tape and a tire gauge. Problem solved.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
If 38supersig would have read beyond my acronym, he would have known. The sensors actually came about due to a Federal Law regarding vehicle roll overs from under inflated tires. TREAD Act.

I did, but that wouldn't be any fun. Big Grin

The thirty dollar kit works on most any vehicle (with four tires) if they can't get yours to work.
Be sure to have them check the pressure in the spare tire if you have one.
More importantly, check the date on the spare tire also.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The dealer quoted me $900 to replace my Subaru sensors. I passed. Going old school!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My TPS sensors are 10 years old. 2011 FJ

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought this

https://www.autel.com/autelcms...ice%20Tool/351.jhtml

Bought a couple of their sensors, used a highlift to pop the bead off, replaced the sensor, aired it up, easy peasy, figured TPMS is on my 2 cars, will pay for itself

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
If 38supersig would have read beyond my acronym, he would have known. The sensors actually came about due to a Federal Law regarding vehicle roll overs from under inflated tires. TREAD Act.

I did, but that wouldn't be any fun. Big Grin

The thirty dollar kit works on most any vehicle (with four tires) if they can't get yours to work.
Be sure to have them check the pressure in the spare tire if you have one.
More importantly, check the date on the spare tire also.
Yes my spare is beneath the van. While not a doughnut tire, it is thinner than what is on the van. I've givin thought to the 75 pounds of air the tire guy inflated the twice plugged tire. Cant help but think that over inflation cant be good for the sensor.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The dealer quoted me $900 to replace my Subaru sensors. I passed. Going old school!
That is incredible. Why so expensive?

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
Bought this

https://www.autel.com/autelcms...ice%20Tool/351.jhtml

Bought a couple of their sensors, used a highlift to pop the bead off, replaced the sensor, aired it up, easy peasy, figured TPMS is on my 2 cars, will pay for itself
That is cool right there.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
quote:
And if that TPS report doesn't have a cover sheet, send it back.

(I'm a very bad man)

Just how many bosses do you have?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’ve never changed them and gotten at least ten years out of them. I would live with a bad one until the next tire change and then change all 4 at the same time. If one dies, the next three are on their way out.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Ten bucks will get you a roll of electrical tape and a tire gauge. Problem solved.

Just the tire gauge for me. My light came on about 4 years ago (2010 Tacoma), and I kind of grew to like its presence. I've been a licensed driver for 61 years now, and long before TPMS I learned how to take care of my tire inspection and pressure maintenance with just my little Milton stick gauge.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post