SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which vehicle has the lowest cost of ownership over 5 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which vehicle has the lowest cost of ownership over 5 years Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I will say either a Honda Civic or...A Hyundai. The Hundai's come with a 100K warranty so other than consumables you should be good to go and their quality has improved remarkably in the past few years.

The best bang for the buck would be to buy a car that is a year or two old and let someone else take the initial depreciation.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Here is Motor Trend's Intellichoice Award list for 5 year cost of ownership Nice thing about their list is that it's by class of car so it's not just boring econoboxes.

I'm suspicious of any list that shows Jeeps and they show them in several categories.

It ha nothing to do with reliability or quality. Jeep wrangler’s have a loyal following and have just about the highest resale value of any vehicle. So even if they are gas hogs and need repairs the fact that you get 70% of your money back when you sell it in 5 years basically makes them a great buy. Ive seen 5-6 year old Rubicon’s with 100k miles on them sell for $20k.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If warranty matters to you VW now has the best comprehensive warranty in the market. 6 years bumper to bumper. 100k Korean warranties mean very little when the power train lasts forever but everything else falls apart around you. If you can wait until Dec-Jan you can pick up a fuel efficient fun as hell VW GTI 2018 leftover model for $20k or less and it will check all the boxes. Keep it for the 6 years while it’s still under warranty and then sell it or trade up. There’s no other car in the market at that price that is as much fun, as refined, or of the same overall quality.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My 2010 Toyota Camry has only cost me gas, oil changes and a brake job. 63000 miles.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Toyota mops the floor with everyone (even Honda who's been having trans problems here and there). Now we are talking single digit differences but my statement still stands. Toyotas are "cheap" to buy and will cost the lowest to maintain over time. Parts are cheap and widely available (along with quality 3rd party parts).

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"04 " buick LeSaber

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Honda with the 4 cylinder and CVT transmission.
All you have to do is put gas in it and change the oil a couple times a year.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Honda EXL-V6 purchased Sept 3rd 2013. Other than regular oil changes, reg fuel, and fluids, no problems whatsoever. Still runs fantastic for the V6. It still has pretty low mileage but I don't baby it on the highways!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
1. Any Toyota
2. Any Nissan 4 banger

I've had 2 Toyota trucks and 3 Nissans, 2 trucks and 1 car.
Gas, oil changes, and tires were my only costs above purchase, plates and insurance.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Schwinn.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

See, look at all the great appliances you can choose from Big Grin

Damn, Carol's supposed to wave her arm

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

My whole world lies waiting behind door number 3.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All kinds of people publish cost of ownership data. Of course they all need to project the biggest cost which is depreciation.
Here's the link to the kbb one.
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/total-cost-of-ownership/
Me personally after I look through a few of the various vendor's analysis you tend to see the same cars in the lists which gives you a good idea. Of course Dusty78 pretty much sums the issue up, it might be low cost to own some cars that don't depreciate, but they sure are annoying to own.
I almost always conclude that the Japanese mfg. (even if the car is made here) are the best of the bunch.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

My whole world lies waiting behind door number 3.
Just right

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Most of the previous posts recommend small Japanese or S Korean brands. They are no doubt excellent automobiles, but I have an alternate suggestion. However, I'll preface it by stating up front it carries a degree of risk, so you must be willing and able to shoulder the financial burden when the time comes.

You asked for lowest total ownership. I would suggest purchasing a 12 year old Ford F150. You can find them with little over 100k miles in good shape for $10k. On average the maintainance costs for the next 5 years will be $5k, perhaps with a single large repair, like a transmission. This figure includes all normal maint and a couple sets of tires. Fuel will be somewhat hirer than car, say 2400/yr. we’ll presume insurance costs are similar, but you could make strong arguement not to carry collion/comp on 12 yr old truck. The key here is little depreciation. Between years 12 and 17 depreciate on average $1k/yr.

Acquisition 10,000
Maintenance. 5,000
Insurance. 5,000
Fuel. 10,000
Total. 30,000
Disposition -5,000
Total cost. 25,000
Annual cost. 5,000

YMMV

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
I have a 2014 Accord, 4 cylinder, that has been wonderful. Currently 140,000 miles and maintenance has been oil changes, filters, brakes (front & rear) tires and a starter. I am very pleased.

Had a Del Sol we put over 300k on. Replaced the radiator in it once which was the only major part that failed.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post