SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which vehicle has the lowest cost of ownership over 5 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which vehicle has the lowest cost of ownership over 5 years Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
15,000 miles a year
Cost of ownership include
-upfront cost
-maitence ans fixinf things that break

If you have a 5 year time horizon. Which car has he lowest cost of ownership?

My car just died and I am in the market!!!
Thanks
Alex

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla??

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
insurance depends on your area mainly and you. That you can do online with an online quotes and keep changing the car.

Probably a vehicle with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Hyundai maybe? a small Honda or Toyota or.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Honda Accord LX is where I'd start.

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Accord, 4 cylinder, that has been wonderful. Currently 140,000 miles and maintenance has been oil changes, filters, brakes (front & rear) tires and a starter. I am very pleased.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
New, used, budget?
Makes quite a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
I have a 2014 Accord, 4 cylinder, that has been wonderful. Currently 140,000 miles and maintenance has been oil changes, filters, brakes (front & rear) tires and a starter. I am very pleased.

Wow that is a lot of driving.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is Motor Trend's Intellichoice Award list for 5 year cost of ownership Nice thing about their list is that it's by class of car so it's not just boring econoboxes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Oh used is def in consideration

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have a 2011 Toyota RAV4 with 84,000+ miles...except for oil changes and tire rotation (done by the dealer) air/cabin filters, coolant changes,, wiper blades (done my me)...I have spent zero dollars on repairs. Same for my 2009 Tacoma. Both have been very affordable vehicles as far as cost of ownership is concerned.

Well...you also have tires, but both had over 55,000 miles before I replaced the factory tires.

I have been well pleased by Toyota Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
While sedans will save you in initial cost and fuel cost, they will depreciate faster than desirable pickups and crossovers, so their depreciation cost will be higher. I have a 2015 Accord EX-L and its depreciation ain't so great right now but I don't expect it to lower much over the next two years beyond mileage used. My guess is something like a Rav-4 or CRV, while I desire neither, will be the cheapest 5 year cost of ownership. Technology takes a big hit on depreciate too, cars are like iPhones now, better make sure it has ApplecarplayGooglefuMAPSWazinationPandora'sbox.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Alex, I’ve bought a lot of vehicles over the years. I can honestly say “cost of ownership” has never been a factor in any of them. There are a shitload of cars out there that are pretty much appliances. Hope you find one that meets your needs.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m running the tiny little wheels off my Prius. But I don’t have numbers to back it up.

Just wanted to throw a hybrid in there.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Life is short get something fun. You can worry about cost of ownership when you are dead Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Honda Civic

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This one may sound strange...but...

When I was looking at Jeep Wranglers, 2 or 3 year old used ones were within $2,000-3,000 of a brand spanking new one.

I went with a brand spanking new one. I plan to keep it forever, but at 15,000 miles a year, you'd have minimal maintenance and resale would be strong at 5 years with 75,000 miles.

Edit--
Ha! I just opened the link posted above and the Jeep Wrangler was #1 for value Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Subaru. Check it.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Toyota long term.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Fairly simple answer:

A two year old used econbox with less than 30,000 miles that nobody else wants. Low resale means you get it cheap. Something like a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, etc.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
This one may sound strange...but...

When I was looking at Jeep Wranglers, 2 or 3 year old used ones were within $2,000-3,000 of a brand spanking new one.

I went with a brand spanking new one. I plan to keep it forever, but at 15,000 miles a year, you'd have minimal maintenance and resale would be strong at 5 years with 75,000 miles.

Edit--
Ha! I just opened the link posted above and the Jeep Wrangler was #1 for value Big Grin

I bought my 2009 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited new paid $33k Put 182,000 miles on it, oil changes, brakes, fluid changes, tires, transfer case cable, lower intake gasket.
Recieved $13,000 for it two months ago.

One negative, fuel cost.....but the fun factor makes up for the fuel cost. Cool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Here is Motor Trend's Intellichoice Award list for 5 year cost of ownership Nice thing about their list is that it's by class of car so it's not just boring econoboxes.

I'm suspicious of any list that shows Jeeps and they show them in several categories.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post