SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It may not be "tacticool" but...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It may not be "tacticool" but... Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I keep a headlamp in "the bag".

I would not use one in a "situation" though. I used to work with a K9 handler that insisted on wearing one during tracks. I loudly referred to it as his "shoot me first" light.

My preference is a handheld. 100% control. I can even pelt you in the face with it if need be.

However, I have to have a weapon mounted light at work, and we turn them on and leave them on when we are making an entry or otherwise may need them.

No fiddling with the on/off switch while in the middle of everything. On, complete task, off.

Headlamps are really good for searching for evidence once a house is cleared, though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s another thought, for the time it takes to strap on a head lamp, you could have thrown on body armor with a spare light, magazine, holster, flex cuffs and knife attached. For the same time penalty, I’ll take armor and extra goodies while leveraging the WML or hand held for light duty.

If I’m going to put something on my head, it’s gonna be gen 3 night vision...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
There might be a reason why thers's been so much development in WML's over the last 30 or so years, and none in headlights. Just sayin......

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I light my path with muzzle flash.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I light my path with muzzle flash.

Then this would be right up your alley. Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A head-mounted light in a home defence scenario strikes me as a singularly bad idea for two reasons: 1. Makes you a nice target, 2. Destroys your night vision.

If I didn't have a WML, I'd use a tactical type flashlight.

As for turning on the overhead lights: Also not necessarily optimal. You know your house layout. Home invaders won't. Why aid them?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
On another note, whenever I take our dog outside at night, I always carry a 3 D-cell LED Maglight with me. Might as well have a light that is useful for more than just illumination. Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
On another note, whenever I take our dog outside at night, I always carry a 3 D-cell LED Maglight with me.

I wear a headlamp set to 'strobe'.
And there are auxiliary lights Wink

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going off the NVG suggestion, If you are in your home, having knowledge of the layout....why use a light at all? Stay dark, stay quiet, move methodically.

I get it if you are on the offense to get to your family but otherwise wouldn't barracading be more effective?

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by air:
Going off the NVG suggestion, If you are in your home, having knowledge of the layout....why use a light at all? Stay dark, stay quiet, move methodically.

I get it if you are on the offense to get to your family but otherwise wouldn't barracading be more effective?

You need a light to positively ID your target before you shoot at it. If you shoot the drunk neighbor, and didn't have a light to ID him and confirm that he was a threat, you'll probably get sued to Oblivion.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by air:

You need a light to positively ID your target before you shoot at it. If you shoot the drunk neighbor, and didn't have a light to ID him and confirm that he was a threat, you'll probably get sued to Oblivion.

That may not actually be accurate.

I believe in many states, if you believe someone is breaking into your house, especially at night, and you shoot/kill them you are immune from any civil liability.

Identifying your target is clearly a good idea. But I figured I'd split that hair.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, I'm not familiar with the rules in every state. But lawsuits are expensive, and I'm betting shooting someone without IDing them is enough to get someone to file a lawsuit. They may not win, but it's still probably going to suck.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post