SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It may not be "tacticool" but...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It may not be "tacticool" but... Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
In thinking about the night invasion thread on a more serious note, I really can't think of a quicker, more handy, or better lighting solution for a night time situation than a forehead mounted flashlight, at least for my purposes. It illuminates wherever you happen to be looking, leaves both hands free to handle your weapon(s) of choice, and the chances of dropping or fumbling around with it are practically zero as long as it fits securely on your head.

Now I know some are going to say, but if they have a gun and shoot at the light they will hit you in the head, but given how you're supposed to handle corners and being that there are ways to mitigate exposure from cover I don't see it as an undue risk. With any other type of light you're still going to have to partially expose your head to be able to see into obscured areas anyway. You can always pull it off your head and use it as a handheld as needed too. While weapon mounted lights certainly have their purpose and usefulness, I personally prefer the freedom of not having to point a loaded weapon somewhere or at someone I may not want to shoot, so it's a head mounted and/or hand held either way for me. Just some random thoughts.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the downside is the inability to switch it on and off for a quick look without telegraphing your position the whole time.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You make some good points. Still not going to put a 'shoot me in the head light' on my forehead.

I still prefer a small handheld 'hella-bright' CR123-powered flashlight.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
In the heat of the moment, waking up disoriented, etc., it seems quicker and simpler to flick the switch on a WML that to find, don and activate a headlamp. I keep a headlamp in both of my vehicles but they're for changing tires and administering first aid.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Get a weapon light with lots of spill for home defense. If you only have time to grab one thing, a loaded G17 with a weapon light is a hell of a piece of hardware. IMO the only worthwhile complications would be a SBR+WML, hand held light, or body armor.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We keep lights on at front and back of the house. One reason if it comes to it I can see the bad guy that is in my house, second if I have to get up at night to let the dog out I won't trip over assorted dog toys all over the floor. One lamp at the front of the house is a 25 watt bulb, the second in the back is a 3 way floor lamp on low. We also have outdoor lights either on or hooked up to motion detectors.
Still have a flashlight clamped to a shotgun, just in case we lose power.

Posts: 591 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
A good weapon mounted light does not need to be pointed at something in order to see it. My old Surefire X200 will light up any room in the house enough for me to see anyone in it even if it is pointed at the floor. Plus weapon mounted lights can be easily removed if you really find a need to point a light directly at something.

MNSIG has a point. Also I think it would be too easy to temporarily blind yourself if you turned your head toward a wall or door that you were standing too close too. The reflection of the light into your eyes, especially in a darker house, would probably suck. Not only that but if you have a family you wouldn't be able to look at them without having to turn the light off or blinding them.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there are plans for an "Intelibeam" type solution from Surefire for a headmounted light? Probably too many variables, but that'd up its utility in your stated situation.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Actually, the headband light doesn't point where you're looking. It points where your head is positioned.

Most of the time you move your eyes, rather than moving your head.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I think the downside is the inability to switch it on and off for a quick look without telegraphing your position the whole time.

This was the first thing that came to mind for me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Headlamp is a no go for me.

Your hands have to leave the weapon to operate the light.

Constant on means you are telegraphing your location the entire time.

Shooting at the light means your head is the target.

You've got to move your whole head to move the light. Your eyes move faster than your head, and you want your light pointed at where your weapon is, not where you just turned your head.

A good weapon mounted light will throw enough light to light up a whole room, allowing you to keep your weapon at a low ready without having to point your weapon directly at an unintended target.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think the only upside to a head mounted light is that it could illuminate the sights on your weapon.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Actually, the headband light doesn't point where you're looking. It points where your head is positioned.

Most of the time you move your eyes, rather than moving your head.

No, most of the time you move your head to keep it aligned with your eyes.

Try it.

Unless two objects are very close to each other and both roughly centered, and/or you're only planning to take a quick glance at something, your tendency is to move your head as well as your eyes when switching between viewing two different objects. Looking at objects when the head and eyes are not in alignment can lessen things like visual accuracy, visual processing speed, hand-eye coordination, and depth perception, so it's the body's natural reaction to move the head to keep it in alignment with the eyes.

Although, funnily enough, the eyes and head don't tend to move at the same time. There's typically a slight delay between one and the other moving, and the order in which the eyes and head are turned tends to change, depending on the circumstances. The eyes tend to move prior to the head when unconsciously reacting to an external stimulus like being started or movement suddenly appearing, while the head tends to move prior to the eyes when consciously choosing to look at something else.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
WML lights are cool and all but I think I would just use the light switch that turns on the lights for my short hallway, stairs and entry way landing.

But headlamps are cool too.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Of course there are many variables starting with the size and layout of your home as well as how easy or difficult it would be to not only break glass or a door but for someone(s) to actually be able to physically get into a home, business, etc because of furniture and other obstructions, not to mention impact glass. But yes, I was trying to discuss the overall usefulness and viability of the head mounted light in certain, but not all circumstances. I keep a Fenix TK12 and PD32 with 18650 cells in them as well as the head mounted light within easy reach so I could quickly grab any or even two of the three. The headlight I have is light weight, has an easy to use switch on the side of the lamp but yes, once it is on I would have to cycle through a few clicks / brightness settings to turn it off so there is that. I am definitely an advocate of having a momentary on function on a hand held (or a weapon light for that matter) but often think that its use is also limited to certain circumstances, as periodically switching a relatively powerful light on and off messes with your night vision.

You guys make a good point about the flood effect of some weapon lights being able to light a room easily but you would also still be broadcasting your position. Like someone mentioned with the head mounted light, you can easily mess with your own visibility with the reflection of a really powerful light too so I have my hand helds set at medium power settings.

Last but not least, our home is never completely dark inside, even if the power goes out, as I have some strategically placed led night lights (for us and our dog) that have rechargeable backup batteries so they stay lit when the power goes out and even double as small flashlights themselves, so my portable lights are for more direct illumination as needed.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I think the only upside to a head mounted light is that it could illuminate the sights on your weapon.

Problem is, it lights up the whole weapon, and your hands, making them too bright to see what you are aiming at well. I walked out to get the mail the other night with my headlight on and practiced a few draws and points with it on. It was a no-go for me. My hands and pistol washed everything else out.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
once it is on I would have to cycle through a few clicks / brightness settings to turn it off so there is that.

Useful for a utility light, but I don't want to have to futz with life saving equipment.

quote:
I am definitely an advocate of having a momentary on function on a hand held (or a weapon light for that matter) but often think that its use is also limited to certain circumstances, as periodically switching a relatively powerful light on and off messes with your night vision.

That effect is greater on whoever you light up with 600 lumens, hopefully giving you time to ID them.

Look at what people who do room clearing for a living use. There really isn't a point in reinventing the wheel.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
WML lights are cool and all but I think I would just use the light switch that turns on the lights for my short hallway, stairs and entry way landing.

But headlamps are cool too.

Sometimes the simplest method is the best method. Big Grin

-Dtech

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Problem is, it lights up the whole weapon, and your hands, making them too bright to see what you are aiming at well. I walked out to get the mail the other night with my headlight on and practiced a few draws and points with it on. It was a no-go for me. My hands and pistol washed everything else out.

Two great points. Not only to use your equipment frequently to get familiar with it, but practice with it how you are going to use it so you know how it will actually help or hinder you!

-Dtech

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
You can buy headlamps that are on/off without the need to cycle through several settings. I finally found one a few years back after posting here.

Healamps are crazy handy and I keep one for each member of my family in our bug out bag. They definitely have a place.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post