SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone still working at 65 have Tricare and Medicare?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still working at 65 have Tricare and Medicare? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
My dad is still working and has employer insurance plus one of the Tricare insurances.

He will turn 65 this year.

He received a notice that he had to enroll in Medicare A&B and his Tricare would change to the Tricare for Life (as a Tricare requirement).

Does this sound correct that he is required to sign up for Medicare even though he is still working and has an insurance through his employer?

If so, he will be paying for employer insurance, Medicare part B and also have Tricare coming in third.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I sounds correct to me, or at least consistent with what I was told at that age: No enroll in Medicare B (don't recall anything about A), no Tricare.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds right. I got TriCare at age 60 as a reserve retiree, when I turned 65 it became Tricare For Life and was free, but DoD MADE me get Part B (about $130/month). I was in a similar position as I did not retire until age 66, I had three policies for about a year.

Check carefully, I'm certain his work policy will be primary payer, then Medicare, then TriCare. Once he ends the work insurance Medicare will then be primary.

https://www.medicare.gov/suppl...-insurance-pays.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I'm a licensed agent, if he is still working and on employer coverage, he would not want or be required to sign up for part B. It would cost him ~ $134/month for something he would not be using.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
I'm a licensed agent, if he is still working and on employer coverage, he would not want or be required to sign up for part B. It would cost him ~ $134/month for something he would not be using.

I don't think applies to military retirees. At age 65 TriCare Standard or Prime converts to TriCare for Life (free) and you HAVE To take Medicare Part B. I doubt the OP's dad has an option with those two, though I suppose he could drop the employer plan.

When I turned 65 I HAD to take MediCare Part B. A is free, B costs me about $130/mo.

When you use TRICARE For Life, you don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B.

https://www.tricare.mil/Costs/PayFees/MedPartBFees

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Like others, I had to have Medicare Parts A and B. In fact, military would not renew my ID unless I had both parts. This appears to be about shifting costs away from DOD to Medicare for retirees.

Posts: 161 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
Like others, I had to have Medicare Parts A and B. In fact, military would not renew my ID unless I had both parts. This appears to be about shifting costs away from DOD to Medicare for retirees.

This...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The answers above appear to be correct. I got my SS at age 65 but continued to work until 68. My employer paid my medical insurance and I had Tricare for life as well as Medicare A & B. After I retired just A &B and TFL, Treated at the VA and have received excellent care including bringing me back from flat line last year in the ER.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post