SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gave my wife a new M1 MacBook Air for Christmas--now I'm borrowing it. This thing is amazing!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gave my wife a new M1 MacBook Air for Christmas--now I'm borrowing it. This thing is amazing! Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Yup, Apple/Mac fanboy since 1984. But this new M1 chip made by Apple--they say it's amazingly fast; I wouldn't know about that just from what I've been doing, but the dang thing stays cool, and battery life is very long compared with my 2017 MacBook Pro that was giving me trouble last week.

I was set up to return the MBP to Apple when, after a few days "rest" on the shelf, I was able to start it up (it hadn't started before); able to do a clean install of Big Sur on the HD (needed a chat with Apple Support to get rid of "purgeable data"), and it's running again.

If you've been thinking about getting a Mac but holding back, I'd say this is a good time to take the plunge, but be sure you're getting a new one with the M1 chip--available in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and now MacMini. Just be sure to get a big enough SSD.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
We also bought my wife a new MacBook. They are great!

Can't wait for the new MacBook Pro's to arrive.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm also pretty happy with the new M1 MB.

It's not perfect but happy that I bought it over a comparable Windows based system.

I'm having issues with external displays though - not always waking up. And wish the docking support was better / had more peripheral flexibility (definitely need to leverage BT for some peripherals). Some desired customizations also more limited than other devices.

Still, overall, happy over Windows.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I'm having issues with external displays though - not always waking up. And wish the docking support was better / had more peripheral flexibility (definitely need to leverage BT for some peripherals). Some desired customizations also more limited than other devices.

I have this issue with my couple years old MBP also.

I'm waiting for some of my intel based programs and VSTs to catch up before I get a new mini with the M1 chip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings here. For 40 years all my corporate financial work has been DOS/Windows based. And for 20 years all my college teaching was also DOS/Windows based.

But I lived in Silicon Valley, half my neighbors worked for Apple, and we have 4 I-thingys between the two of us. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The M1 systems seems pretty decent. But not perfect. And it has black screened a couple of times - hopefully just intro pains.

M1 seems pretty good and likely stands on its on merits. But for me, I was mostly pushed away from Windows to Apple. I hated the SW subscription models, the intrusiveness of 'new features' and other things. Apple was a lessor of evils.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I have mixed feelings here. For 40 years all my corporate financial work has been DOS/Windows based. And for 20 years all my college teaching was also DOS/Windows based.

But I lived in Silicon Valley, half my neighbors worked for Apple, and we have 4 I-thingys between the two of us. Smile

Same here Scoutmaster.. I bleed dos/windows but, my phone and ipad are apple. I have almost pulled the trigger on a MBP several times but, just cant make myself do it. Seeing threads like this begins to push me over the edge!

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I noted above I had to go to Apple Support chat for help with my MBP. They gave me probably 1 1/2 hours time even though it’s out of warranty. The flat rate for repair if I had to send it in was to be $630.
This last Chat, I had to be kicked up to the supervisor to get resolution, and that was done very well and patiently. So even though stores are closed in CA, I was able to get excellent customer service.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to always buy Windows based machines basically because of the price difference. I think the last Windows machine I bought was probably 20 years ago after buying my first Mac.
We still have one Windows based machine but only because my wife needs it for work.

It’s a shame their politics suck because their computers are excellent.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/w.../1347660160806825984

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Same here Scoutmaster.. I bleed dos/windows but, my phone and ipad are apple. I have almost pulled the trigger on a MBP several times but, just cant make myself do it. Seeing threads like this begins to push me over the edge!

It did feel a bit odd when my 8 yr old grandson was trying to show me how to use the I-pad.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm also pretty happy with the new M1 MB.

It's not perfect but happy that I bought it over a comparable Windows based system.

I have a Macbook 12 that is 4 years old and still fine. I'm keeping it for now because it's fast enough and I use BootCamp to have a Windows partition for the occasional times I need a PC for some specific reason.

This one is the smallest and lightest Macbook they made - only 2lbs. It was the first Mac with just one USB-C port. I bought the breakout dongle but I rarely use it. Why? WiFi, Bluetooth, Airdrop, and Airplay take care of almost everything.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

This one is the smallest and lightest Macbook they made - only 2lbs. It was the first Mac with just one USB-C port. I bought the breakout dongle but I rarely use it. Why? WiFi, Bluetooth, Airdrop, and Airplay take care of almost everything.

My setup: 2 external monitors (this is limited to 1 external monitor which is somewhat flaky), external keyboard, mouse, speakers. Attached (occasional use) of external DVD drive and/or SSD). Getting by for now but would want a more fully featured docking solution. Would also be nice to have fingerprint reader outside for 2 monitor, lid down scenario.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I haven't purchased a new Mac since 2011, but the new M1 is pushing me to the edge. Twenty hours of battery while besting most of Intel's chips? Sign me up. Also, it seems there's little need to wait for software to be made native since Rosetta II is working better than anybody imagined. The PC crowd must be a little concerned with the performance of this new silicon. I'm actually waiting for the next release using the M1X chip on the higher end machines. Once Apple beefs up the GPU core in their new chip, the performance should truly be jaw dropping.

Ironically, I just bought a refurbished Dell (i5-3470) last week to do some very specific tasks (mp4 conversion). I stuck it down in the utility room without a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, and access it through Microsoft's remote desktop from my Mac laptop. It works fantastically. Responsive, quick, and with all the cooling capacity of a desktop. In full screen, you wouldn't know that Windows wasn't running natively on the Mac, with it sharing the Macs mic, camera, and speakers. This has me thinking that the inability of the M1 Mac to run Bootcamp is a non-issue. I will just run Windows on the Dell and access it remotely. No need to ever boot a Mac into Windows again.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I got to admit to clicking on this when I saw, "gave my wife a new M1...." I was thinking Garand

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Having always been a windows/DOS guy, I bought a MBP in 2017. I still run some programs that need windows so I run Parallels. Since we have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Apple TV 4K, 2 Apple watches, the MBP made sense. Right before we left for winter, my old windows desktop bite the dust. I'm looking forward to a 27" M1 Mac in the near future. I look forward to the day when those windows only programs run natively on the M1. I read that that isn't far away - with a little cooperation.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I needed to replace my 2010 iMac. I did a bit of research and saw a lot of positive reviews of the iMac Mini M1. I ended up getting one with 16GB of RAM.

So far, I’m very happy with the performance of it. Don’t use it for anything too taxing, but it seems to be well worth the price.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
If any of you mimi Mac guys want to give me a suggestion for a monitor I’m all ears.

About to pick one up in the next month or so to replace my 2008 and 2009 iMacs.

0:01

Posts: 4207 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
If any of you mimi Mac guys want to give me a suggestion for a monitor I’m all ears.

About to pick one up in the next month or so to replace my 2008 and 2009 iMacs.

LG Thunderbolt that is specially for Macs. Check the Apple Store then find it at a better price elsewhere.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lefty Sig, that's a pretty hefty price for that monitor; you can buy a regular 4K LG monitor for hundreds less. Is it worth it for the convenience of having the Thunderbolt connection?

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro and the battery is starting to bulge. Debating new battery or new Air. I hate the keyboard on this pro. How is the Air's keyboard n comparison?

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post