SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP Computer display all crazy. ***Problem Figured Out Bad Graphics Card. This one OK?***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP Computer display all crazy. ***Problem Figured Out Bad Graphics Card. This one OK?*** Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Did one of my graphics cards die? Can and how do I run only using one? Should I try disabling and reabling it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
When I had display issues, which were similar to this but even more pixelated, it turned out to be a poor connection between the SSD and the motherboard. I ended up changing that connection to plain old SATA, and everything that was wrong was fixed instantly. Turns out that the SSD did not play nice with the controller, some advanced multiplexing deal, but could work with the SATA.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Desktop or laptop?

Desktop, just remove the one you believe is causing the problem. Also, a single new video card in the $100 range will be much faster and use less electricity than what you have.

On my laptop, one card is the primary and one is the secondary. If I disable SLI by right clicking the desktop, left clicking Nvidia graphic properties, and looking for a check box for SLI; the primary card only is used. I don't believe there is a provision to swap the cards in software. Physically removing one card will be more involved than with a desktop.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Desktop.

OK, at this point I have enabled/disabled driver. Removed driver and windows installed driver. No fixy. I am currently downloading the Nvidia one from their website. Hope that works, but I don't think it will.

One is working the other has Code 43-Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. If it was a driver issue I'd assume both cards wouldn't work. I am thinking about swapping cards. If the one in bus 1 starts working then it's a bad card if it remains the same, then bad board connection.

Am I headed in the right direction at all?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Physically trying each card individually in each slot (4 possible configurations) will narrow it down to which card or which slot is causing the problem.

A single new card that is faster and more efficient than your current set up isn't too expensive. Probably less than $100.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you REALLY have 2x 9800GTs? They're pretty old & I'm not sure can really be paired. Are you using a multi-monitor setup?
If not, the ONE 9800GT has shit the bed in some odd fashion.
If you do have 2, pull one & see it it works, then replace it & pull the other. If both work, you had a dust bunny in the PCIE slot...

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes I have two really old cards, single monitor. 11 years ago when I bought it you couldn't get one bigger one or it was triple the cost or whatever.

So I swapped the cards and here's what I got. Display looks fine but one of them is still not working. Looks like a need a new one?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Is there a marked difference in temperature between the two cards? Have you looked to see that the fans are spinning on both?

What kind of slot are they running in, PCIe-16? You could look to see what is available as a matched pair from between say 3-5 years ago. It's a good bet there are some available cheap that would far outstrip the capabilities of 9800Gt's. If you have a motherboard ID (hopefully including its revision number) to post or to email me, I'll check it.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Is there a marked difference in temperature between the two cards? Have you looked to see that the fans are spinning on both?

What kind of slot are they running in, PCIe-16? You could look to see what is available as a matched pair from between say 3-5 years ago. It's a good bet there are some available cheap that would far outstrip the capabilities of 9800Gt's. If you have a motherboard ID (hopefully including its revision number) to post or to email me, I'll check it.

Temperature was pretty damn close by feel. I'll get a reading in a second. I thought all PCI express stuff is backwards compatible?

Looks like PCI Express 2.0 x16

The one that isn't working is 115 deg f at hottest point on exterior, the one that is is 105 deg f at hottest point. About 8 degree difference where the fan blows out (both are spinning). Have no clue how to get computer to give me the temperature of them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Any reason this GeForce GT 1030 wouldn't be a good replacement?

OR

This EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sadly this is typical of these cards. Had a 8800GT do the same thing a couple years ago. I recall that some people reported that baking them at some temp would fix it for a while. Sounds crazy but give it a google.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
<cue Twilight Zone theme>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Bought this one.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
You just bought the one, right? No more dual cards? You whole box will run cooler for it. Plus as someone else mentioned, use less juice.

quote:
The one that isn't working is 115 deg f at hottest point on exterior, the one that is is 105 deg f at hottest point. About 8 degree difference where the fan blows out (both are spinning). Have no clue how to get computer to give me the temperature of them.

Try GPU-Z.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
You just bought the one, right? No more dual cards? You whole box will run cooler for it. Plus as someone else mentioned, use less juice.

Yep just one. This one will be way faster over 2x than the two together I had before.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Just bake it in the oven! Big Grin

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Yep just one. This one will be way faster over 2x than the two together I had before.
Yeah, that's usually the way it goes. I amended my post above to include a link for GPU-Z. A free utility that will show GPU temp among other fun facts. There is another free utility, Speedfan, that will automatically read various component temps and you can tie increasing or decreasing the fan speeds to those temps. But I warn you, it's not very user friendly to most people.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Just bake it in the oven! Big Grin

Karma kicked me squarely in the nuts on this one....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Bought this one.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

Solid choice.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
New GPU in working just fine. Tried the only one game I own and the back ground is sharper, more details and higher FPS. Computer is older than I thought. GPUs had 9/2004 manufacture date on them, so looks like I bought it in 2005. Still rocking on good for a 12 year old computer!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis