SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am math challenged - a little help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am math challenged - a little help? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I bought a digital speedometer to put on an ATV. It uses a rim-mounted magnet to trigger a sensor. The gauge can be calibrated to a range of wheel sizes and magnet counts, but the instructions are VERY basic.

What I have to work with is "For example, if the tire circumference is 81.375 inches and there are 6 magnets, the setting is F08.0"

F is the variable to calibrate the speedo.

What I need is to convert that into a formula where I can plug in the tire circumference and magnet count and determine the proper setting.

Tire circumference is 66" and I plan to use 2 magnets.

My thinking: With 6 magnets we have 6 pulses per revolution and each revolution covers 81.375 inches, or 13.56 inches per pulse and the proper setting to convert that to KPH is 8.

With a 66 inch circumference and two magnets, I get 33 inches per pulse.

Assuming the 8 is a multiplier (with no particular evidence to support that assumption), I get an input of 108.5

108.5/33 is 3.29 rounded off. My first thought is to enter that as the F parameter.

The only other instruction is "the higher the number the slower the actual readout is"

Does any of that make any sense or do I have a bad case of cranio-rectal inversion?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Need more info. Suggest you post the name and model number of the speedometer.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It's this one.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
"INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER"
~Multivac

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably ought to ask Ambuker.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Would this cheat work? Do the install then use gps or another vehicle to travel at a selected speed and keep changing the variable number until you match.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Google chinese digital speedometer and you will find youtube videos of what appear to be the same speedo you bought. The few I looked seem to be about the wiring, but maybe you'll get lucky.

There are more videos in the right margin.

Ambucker is a trademark name of Shenzhen Qiyu Auto Parts Co., Ltd. No luck in finding a website or manual.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Probably ought to ask Ambuker.

I did. Their reply was entirely useless beyond the example I posted.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Google chinese digital speedometer and you will find youtube videos of what appear to be the same speedo you bought. The few I looked seem to be about the wiring, but maybe you'll get lucky.

I've been surfing YouTube for hours. Everyone is asking the same question, no one seems to have an answer.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
There is a reddragonfly or red dragonfly speedo that appears to be the same one.

There are 94 Q&As on amazon for it so maybe an answer is there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W...leproductsreviews-20

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I think the example is bad and can not come up with what F08.0 actually converts to for the given parameters.

Since the speedo is in KPH - using mm your 66" wheel = 1676.4 mm - 2 sensors per revolution means your wheel travels 838.2 mm (33") per sensor.

I say for two sensors start with 838 and fine adjusts from there.

"the higher the number the slower the actual readout is" I think this means the less sensors the slower the response is - one sensor=one pulse adjustment per revolution, 8 sensors=8 pulse adjustment per revolution. It can calculate for each sensor input, probably more important when accel/decel rather than steady state.

And I found this in youtube, some one just did the mm circumference/# sensors and adjusted from there using GPS (I guess you could have a car or motorcycle be the check if no GPS).

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, I've come to the same conclusion: Pace it with something and tweak it from there.

I currently have one magnet on the rim and giving it a healthy spin DOES result in a reading, but there's a lot of lag. More magnets/more readings/faster response makes sense. Just need to pick up some more magnets.

posted Hide Post
Try F=20 for two magnets then spin the wheel.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post