SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proud of my brother in law the army helicopter pilot!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proud of my brother in law the army helicopter pilot! Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
One of my wife's younger siblings has always been the family blacksheep or at least he thinks. He's one of eight siblings. Over a year ago he decided to enlist in the US Army to support his young family. His goal was to fly helicopters. I found out tonight that he ranked highest in his flight class and got to choose between three air frames to fly the Blackhawk, Chinook, or Apache. My wife asked me which one I'd choose, I said AH-64 Apache! That's the one he chose. So I'm sending him a DVD copy of Firebirds to congratulate. I'm proud of my brother and a little jealous.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him. Hope its everything he expects it to be.

As an aside, if he's of average or larger stature he might regret that decision. I'm told Apaches are kinda cramped. Woulda went blackhawk myself.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him! That's a huge accomplishment.

A great friend of mine spent his first eight years in the military working on Apaches (basically a mechanic) and then decided to go to flight school when he reenlisted and for the past six years has been flying them -- he absolutely loves it. And I love hearing him talk about it and the stories that go along with it.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him. What an incredible accomplishment.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
lol at the Firebirds gift. But good on him for being the best in his class!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Good for him!

Personally I would have picked Blackhawk or Chinook. Somehow I’m thinking a military conversion to commercial instrument helicopter certificate with the FAA in those two airframes might get me a job flying a heavy lift, oil rig offshore transport, medical, etc easier than an Apache. Although Apache is nothing to sneeze at.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I especially like the turnaround story. Good on him.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
HUA. Good on him! Tell him we appreciate his service.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the new pilot!

Separate info: I want to point out that nobody piloting an Army air frame is enlisted. They either have a commission or a warrant. So they didn't enlist or re-enlist to get that job.

Yes, there is a difference. It may not mean much to the uninitiated, but it means a lot to the people who are serving.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
You certainly are right to be proud!
That's a great accomplishment.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him! My son did 6 on the ground and is in his 10th year flying 64's. Got to pin his wings on and it was an exceptional moment!

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your BIL! The Army produces the best rotary wing pilots there are, bar none!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Congrats to the new pilot!

Separate info: I want to point out that nobody piloting an Army air frame is enlisted. They either have a commission or a warrant. So they didn't enlist or re-enlist to get that job.

Yes, there is a difference. It may not mean much to the uninitiated, but it means a lot to the people who are serving.

Thanks for pointing out that Army enlisted do not fly. I had heard they used to be able to, any idea when that practice was terminated?

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Great for your b-i-l and the rest of his family. He has a bright future.

My niece flies Navy SH-60 Seahawks out of Guam, but she may eventually go to the new Bell V-280 Valor tilt rotor. We are so very proud of her so I have a good idea how y'all feel.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post