Kubota or JD Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Huh...
Kubota USA

The BX series tractors are great subcompact tractors. The BX-25D is a real workhorse.

I have a larger Kubota and wish I had not bought the backhoe. It just isn't as useful as a dedicated backhoe and if you are working on any kind of incline a mini-ex will put it to shame. If I knew then what I know now I would have skipped the backhoe and rented a mini-ex when I needed to dig a trench.

However, your situation may be different. I did buy a ripper tooth for my backhoe. It is great for cutting roots so I can push over trees and not have top worry about stump grinding.

Enjoy and post pictures of whatever you get.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If by that you're saying that JD is as American as apple pie and Kubota is from The Land of Fish Heads and Rice, you're sadly mistaken.

JD hasn't built it's own compact tractors in 30 years that I know of, and probably longer. My 1988 "JD" 750 was a Yanmar through and through. The only thing JD on it was the price tag and the paint.

If I misread your intentions, then I apologize.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
We've had both. Sold the JD and kept the Kubota B2710. If I ever need a new tractor to manage our land and little cattle operation, it will be a Kubota.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Big Grin

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:

Para is right on. Why would you buy a John Deere built in Japan when you can get a BXthat is built (not assembled) in the USofA (GA no less) Not only that, it really is a Kubot. JD can't even say that.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I've got two Kubotas. A B2610 and an M7060. Both have performed flawlessly. The JD dealership is closer to me but they think a little too highly of their products for my liking. I doubt you'll be upset with either but I prefer Kubota.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Kubota bx25d last year With the FEL and backhoe attachment.
Only complaints I have so far is the speed of the thing, high range, 2500rpm top speed around 8.5 mph
That and having to purchase a three point hitch kit to use any attachments after you remove the backhoe attachment..
Other than those, the things been a little monster,has done everything one of the bigger tractors will do just takes a little longer..
Also you find you develop a whole bunch of new " friends" who "need" you and your tractor.
And lastly, I think middelfield tractor is still running their deals on the bx's

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Kubota/Kabuki

JD/Jack Daniels

See, it's like I didn't quite understand the question and thought the OP was talking about the things I pictured, and I was confused.

That's uhh...that's the joke.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Sounds like loade and backhoe work are very important. I've sold both so I'm familiar with what works and what doesn't.

You've probably already been to the JD dealer but if you have a chance, run their loader and try to lift the loader and curl or dump the bucket at the same time. You can't. Kubota uses a regenerative valve that allows you to multifunction.

JD will claim higher lifting capacity on the loader but their front axle ratings are less than what the loader is rated at. Kubota's front axle ratings exceed the loader capacity, significantly.

Kubota hydraulic lines are hard steel lines tucked tight up under the operator platform. JD has hoses that hang down susceptible to snagging and wear.

The on off system for the LA344S loader is phenomenal, easily done from the seat including the hydraulic lines.

The side by side pedals in the JD are opposite of your car/vehicle. In an emergency situation you may go the opposite direction you intend to from muscle memory.

Kubota design and builds the entire tractor themselves. Transmission, axles, frame, engine etc. When a company does this rather than farming these components out, quality control, reliability and productivity go through the roof.

We sell a TON of Kubota tractors (as well as their other products). I tell anyone to stop by our shop anytime, poke your head in and see if you see any orange machines in there. Pretty rare. That was not the case when I was with JD and it's not because the sold more tractors, they don't.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kubota/Kabuki

JD/Jack Daniels

See, it's like I didn't quite understand the question and thought the OP was talking about the things I pictured, and I was confused.

That's uhh...that's the joke.

I should have known better. I'm a little unrefined that way.

posted Hide Post
I own two, what were once considered "medium" size utility tractors. Both JD. One is the 1020, gas, with FEL. Built about 1964. Great machine, easy to work on, reliable as the day is long. About 35 HP. Very good machine that I highly recommend.

The other is a 2003 JD 110 Tractor-loader-backhoe. Diesel, about 41 HP, 4WD, Hydrostatic transmission. 6' bucket on front with quick-tach hitch. It will take virtually all the bobcat attachments. It also has hydraulics to that end as well. This was JD's smallest TLB, built for contractors, not home owners. A good machine, is does have some plastic where there should/could be metal. There is more complexity in troubleshooting and fixing this machine. Parts from the dealership are expensive. I get mine on the web or used. A good machine, more complex than needed with a basic design that is 20 years old. Big plus - the backhoe, while frame mounted, is removable and a three point hitch can be easily put in its place.

Three months ago I had the opportunity to use a new Kubota that is the equal/competitor to the JD110. Also diesel, it is a well thought out, smooth running machine. Easy to use, well built, it has, in my opinion, replaced the JD110. This is even more true as JD no longer makes the 110. Just about everything about the Kubota shows refinement when compared the the 110.

For reference, current used JD110's are selling for 20-30k. The high priced machines are low hours.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have a BX23 with backhoe, grader, and a mower deck. It is a great little tractor. I use it weekly on our farm. Removed the mower deck and got a JD zeroturn instead. My SIL borrows it for his construction work.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I bought a BX2200 in 2001. Ran it 15 years and it was always perfectly reliable and easy to maintain. I love it. Moved to a house with no grass. Made no sense to keep it. Highly HIGHLY recommended.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need to do much backhoe work, you might want to go bigger. Be careful, the apps, err, attachments can be addictive. Smile

I own a 2003 L35 TLB, more of a commercial tractor than a BX. Wish I would have gotten it with a FEL quick attach, and auxiliary hydraulics front and rear, am adding this now. Combo weighs in close to 6,000 lbs. and is 5' wide. Would like to get 3-4" rear wheel spacers someday, at the time I bought it, width was a factor.

FEL is 5', I have a pin on SSQA and a rock/stump grapple on order, should be here soon. If you plan to deal with brush, trees, rocks stumps, bucket teeth at the minimum, forks, or a grapple will really be appreciated. Lots of apps for this, even a side discharge concrete mixer. Check out Everythingattachments for ideas. http://www.everythingattachments.com/

Backhoe will dig 9' deep, and I have 12 & 24" buckets. Often wish I could find the breaker attachment for the hoe at a reasonable price, I could have used it often, and it would be a good tamper/post driver/. Will get a thumb for it soon, and would like a stump shear, might try to make one like this.
http://solesbees.com/excavator_wood_stump_shears.php

Then there is the 3 point hitch. Make sure you get one with it new, you won't believe how much OEM replacements are if you want one later. And you will want one, sooner or later. I look for new apps and ideas for mine almost daily. I can lift over 2,000 lbs with this one.

Took a little learning, I can now remove the hoe in about 5 minutes, and re-install it in about 6. I do it often, wish I had a second tractor now just for the 3pt. Installing the 3pt linkages takes about 5 min, off in about 1, not self storing on this model), must come off to install BH.

So far, I have a box scraper, Woods Dixie Cutter, (this thing is a beast!), roto-tiller, post hole digger that I also use as a boom with the gearbox removed, and will get a 3pt. carry all frame and build a box for it with a flip down bench and holders for chainsaw/tools/etc. on sale this week for $129 at the local farm/fleet store. I have a Harbor Freight coupon in my wallet for a 12,000 lb. winch which I plan to put on the front.

I have had mostly no problems that I haven't contributed to. I use it hard, and it is mostly still all as I bought it. After more than ten years it still has the original battery, and it often sat for weeks or months in years past. I don't think I've ever had to jump start it, even in the coldest weather. I use it weekly at minimum now that I bought an old 35 acre farm.

Some of the fit and finish is a bit like a CZ, looks a little unrefined here or there, but works. Front brush guard was poorly bent from the factory, pins hold it open/closed to access the battery, and I finally whittled one pin to be able to get it in without a BFH, holes would not line up. Some of the paint has faded badly, or rusted on certain non-critical areas too, but this mostly is stored outside. On recent trip to the dealer for filters it seems the models I saw had better fit and finish, but a bit more plastic .

It took some practice to be smooth and productive with the BH, the hydraulics are a bit touchy, easy to move too far too fast, and learning on it I had to replace an outside faucet. Twice. Stuff happens, keep people clear from the work area. A comparable JD seemed a bit more refined, but that green paint is pricey. No way will it match the smoothness and control I've seen on big Cat excavators, but I believe there are better controls available, and ways to modify the OEM controls for better performance. Hopefully they are better now.

Gripes I currently have is that the rear differential lock is foot operated on the right floorboard, same as the foot throttle. When I'm about to get stuck, I have to take my foot off the throttle to lock the diff, or try to steer, hang on, and use the hand throttle at the same time. Mad I will add a hand lever extension to the diff lock soon, the pass thru for it looks like this is what it was designed for. 2WD-4WD lever is on the left floorboard, and is easy to kick in/out of mode without meaning to. Considering if this lever needs modification to improve its function, not sure yet.

Overall, I don't regret buying this one bit, and wish I would have gotten the L48. If I had to do it over now, I would probably go a little bigger, probably a Kubota, but something older without DEF and regen. Seems that some of the latest emissions regulations are causing issues for some models, probably a learning curve that will improve with time.

Be Smart and Stay Safe

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Went and looked at the JD and decided to go with a Kubota. Found a nice used (400 hrs) BX23 with FEL and Backhoe.
In the couple hours I have on it I've already pulled up 6 trees stumps with the backhoe. Very simple to operate and it certainly isn't lacking power.
Mine has the treadle rocker pedal for fwd and reverse and I like it.
I think I made the right decision going with the Kubota vs the JD. The JD just didn't seem as well thought out and not as robust as the steel used on the Kubota.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
BX25D here and have been very happy with it. My only complaints are that the implements are kind of a pain to change out. Other than that, it'll do what the bigger ones will do, it just takes a bit longer. I don't mow with mine as the the tires would tear up my lawn so I can't speak to that.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase.

Dynorat gave you some good stuff. However, don't ever look at the everything attachments site. They have some (most likely illegal) hypnotic stuff built in to their web pages that causes you to spend money.

The are the Top Gun Supply for tractor attachments.

Also stay away from B Xpanded and Bro-Tek

They have some really cool ways of reducing the weight of your wallet...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Check out Pat's quick hitch if you think you'll be swapping out implements frequently. Time and back saver and also made in the USA.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check out the sites. It already has a Bro-Tek Mechanical thumb. Unfortunately I already found BXpanded and dropped some money on their skid plate. I hear the HST fan is exposed.
Will only be used for some "farm" jobs I have. No need for a mower deck.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was just a fun poke based on the old US vs Japan debate on buying things. You know like Honda vs Ford, Kubota vs JD, apple pie vs fish heads. Big Grin

John Deere is an American company with it's headquarters in Moline IL with worldwide offices, manufacturing and HQ in Germany and Brazil, that doesn't make them a German or Brazilian company because they have foreign HQ or plants.

Kubotas worldwide HQ is in Osaka Prefecture Japan. Yes they have a US HQ in TX and build stuff in the USA. however that doesn't change the fact they are still a Japanese company.

I just thought it was funny, not a slight on either companies abilities or products.

BTW the comment was made that small tractors are not USA mad. JD still manufactures the smaller equipment in the USA at its Greeneville TN Power Products plant. I can take a picture of the "Built in TN with Pride" sticker on my JD 130 that was built in TN. JD has over 40 USA based plants building equipment in the USA.

Link to Worldwide JD plants

Anyway it was meant to be funny, didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities about tractor plants n such... do we need a safe mowing place Big Grin

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post