SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wealthy New Yorkers Fight To Keep Homeless Out Of Their Liberal Neighborhood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wealthy New Yorkers Fight To Keep Homeless Out Of Their Liberal Neighborhood Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
Some stories need no comment.

Except maybe a loud raspberry.

Hey, limo libs... Bbbrrrrrrrpppppppp!!

Wealthy New Yorkers Fight To Keep Homeless Out Of Their Liberal Neighborhood

Wealthy New Yorkers are furious that Mayor Bill de Blasio plans to open a homeless shelter in their ritzy Manhattan neighborhood.

Dozens of wealthy residents packed into a community meeting to voice their anger over the decision to move 150 homeless men into the former Park Savoy Hotel, NY1 reports. The residents are concerned that the move will increase crime and decrease property values in their neighborhood on “billionaires row.”

“How are these poor people, whose only livelihood is in one bag, deal with a $6 coffee and a $15,000 dress on the windows of Fifth Avenue?” asked one resident, a middle-aged man with a foreign accent. “Aren’t we breeding crime by doing this?” he asked, earning applause from the audience.

Some residents have formed a group, the West 58th Street Coalition, to oppose the homeless shelter in their neighborhood, CBS2 reports. CBS2 identified the coalition’s leader as Suzanne Silverstein, a fashion executive who is the president of upscale women’s fashion line Parker NY, according to her Linkedin profile.

“This is a tourist area. Can you imagine you are like next door, you have the best hotels in New York City, you destroy that in order to help 150 people,” said restaurant owner Maria Loi, according to CBS2. The New York Times has described Loi as a “celebrity chef.”

NY1 reports that some residents have hired a public relations expert and a lawyer in their fight to keep homeless people out of their neighborhood. It’s unclear if that group is the same as the West 58th Street Coalition.

One resident suggested that de Blasio is moving the homeless into the wealthy neighborhood to get at President Trump. “I think it’s crazy. I think he just wants to get to Trump,” Leonardo DeVega told CBS2. “His son lives across the street, and Trump lives a block away.”

Manhattan residents overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump in the 2016 election, giving her more than 86 percent of the vote.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02...iberal-neighborhood/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
How very inclusive of them. Roll Eyes

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
More wealthy NIMBY antics. They are right to be concerned, of course--adding those homeless folks will probably impact tourism and increase crime (not guaranteed, naturally, but likely).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should pool their resources and buy the building. Problem solved.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe: One resident suggested that de Blasio is moving the homeless into the wealthy neighborhood to get at President Trump. “I think it’s crazy. I think he just wants to get to Trump,” Leonardo DeVega told CBS2. “His son lives across the street, and Trump lives a block away.”

Manhattan residents overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump in the 2016 election, giving her more than 86 percent of the vote.

Manhattan may have voted 86 percent lib, maybe this neighborhood too, maybe not.

The only politics I see revealed here is de Blasio probably being a fuckhead. Then again, I don't know why he's doing this.

I do know that I'd be real upset if homeless housing appeared in my modest at best neighborhood. If my neighbors and I had tons of money, there'd be more than just kvetching.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well why not bring in a bunch of muslims too?

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
DeBlasio should add a zero to the number of homeless hoteled there, going to the extent of putting the homeless in vacant apartments scattered around the neighborhood.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Something something you reap what you sow something something.... I forget the whole line...

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Another "I'm all for it!"....but, not in my neighborhood crowd Mad

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They helped put DeBlasio in office. Now they can go suck it.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
150? Right..... Roll Eyes Once word gets out you can crash there, the 150 number will be more like 500.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea! Maybe 150 homeless might not be enough, though.

If deBlasio is serious about helping the homeless, 150 is just a drop in the bucket. A token.

He should move a few thousand homeless unfortunates into nice Manhattan neighborhoods.

That could go a long way toward insuring that neither he nor any other liberal would be New York's next mayor.

It would be a win all around. Housing the homeless, pissing off the wealthy hypocritical liberals, and nudging the votes toward a conservative mayor next time around. What's not to like?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I think we should also get some illegal aliens in there too. You know, they work harder than Americans and don't commit crimes, so hell, they would be a GREAT addition to the neighborhood.

Maybe a heroin rehab facility as well. Next to the new mosque. All the things that the liberals love, and honor and support, because they are such superior people.

They will be thrilled. I have no doubt. Thrilled!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I guess they don’t like the thought of air fresheners over there rarified air...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I think we should also get some illegal aliens in there too. You know, they work harder than Americans and don't commit crimes, so hell, they would be a GREAT addition to the neighborhood.

Maybe a heroin rehab facility as well. Next to the new mosque. All the things that the liberals love, and honor and support, because they are such superior people.

They will be thrilled. I have no doubt. Thrilled!

What needs to be housed there are hundreds of heroin-addicted, HIV+, homeless, homosexual, illegal-immigrant sex offenders.

The carbon impact of the flight of the current residents to the safety of the Bronx would make a great Vice special on HBO.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I guess they don’t like the thought of air fresheners over there rarified air...

Nice one.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Maybe those wealthy folks should buy the place next door to DeBlasio's place, open it up for homeless. I am sure DeBlasio wouldn't object.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another episode of the "Let's do something for the homeless" weekly drama.

OK, now what?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post