SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Obituary in local newspaper that (blames? doesn’t blame) guns for the suicide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituary in local newspaper that (blames? doesn’t blame) guns for the suicide Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
(Emphasis added)

I have sympathy for families that lose a loved one to suicide, but don’t make a political statement in their remembrance.

Obituary

Dean Steven Ross Phillips

Our beloved youngest brother, Dean Steven Ross Phillips, died by suicide on or about April 20, 2021 after a long struggle with depression, using a firearm he had recently acquired. He will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

Dean’s gentle spirit and ready smile are fond memories from our childhood. Early on he demonstrated that he was a gifted sculptor and artisan whose creations we will always treasure. For most of his adult life, he worked for Caterpillar in the Twin Cities where he honed his skills as a metal worker and professional welder. In his spare time, he restored vintage automobiles and motorcycles that exemplified the artistic perfectionism that inspired him.

Dean was born in Grand Rapids, Minnesota on June 10, 1952. He was predeceased by his parents, Norma Annetta Phillips and Clair Carlton Phillips. He is survived by a sister, Leona Claire (Phillips) Fitzmaurice of Birmingham, Alabama, two brothers, Carl August Phillips of Andover, Minnesota and James Oscar Phillips of Flagstaff, Arizona, two nieces, Rebecca (Phillips) Peterson and Candice (Phillips) Pemberton, as well as grandnieces, grandnephews, and cousins.

We deeply grieve Dean’s death, and we believe that such a suicide by firearm could have been prevented. Our society still stigmatizes mental illness, and guns are much too easily obtained. We believe an evaluation and waiting period should be required before any gun purchase can be completed. While Dean might still have accomplished his goal of ending his life prematurely, it is possible that he would be alive today had his illness been identified and treated and had it been more difficult for him to obtain a firearm.

A memorial service will be scheduled at a later date. To honor Dean’s life, please make contributions to the National Wildlife Federation or to a charitable organization of your choice.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, gun shops need a psychiatrist on staff to check out every gun buyer. Roll Eyes

If they want a way out, they will find it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Why don't we just ban mental illness?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

If they want a way out, they will find it.

^^^That, and fuck’s sake the waiting period and evaluation BS has been old. For years.

Sitting in my garage right now and I literally can’t look around without seeing something I could use to take my life? Some 5 gallon VP cans and a lighter along with a rag? That’s probably make a hell of a bomb.

Box cutter, utility knife, check and check.

Propane tanks for the Blackstone and Jet burner? Got some of those. Works well as a backup fuel source for the generator as well during hurricanes, but who needs that? Let’s just shut the garage door down, open them all up and gas ourselves to death.

Jeeeeeezusssss. And I’m not trying to be callous toward people who need help. I’ve known several people who’ve taken their lives over the years and it sucked every damned time. Two of which were close enough that they were almost family, knew them since I was 5 years old.

Sorry but wreckdiver is spot on, where there’s a will there’s a way. The firearm is an inanimate object, it’s only a tool, and pretty much everyone has access to any number of such items that can achieve the same result while not so much as raising an eye when buying it.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in 1952. Had a lifetime to be identified and appropriately treated. Someone dropped the ball and it was not Smith and Wesson.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
We deeply grieve Dean’s death, and we believe that such a suicide by firearm could have been prevented. ... blah, blah, blah, blah ..., We believe an evaluation and waiting period been more difficult for him to obtain a firearm.

And what's all this I keep hearing about "Agenda Reveals? When did such things become so popular, and why do these people think everyone else should care? .. What? Oooooh, that's very different! NEVER MIND!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes, all suicides would no longer be possible if guns were not available. Guns are the only way to commit suicide.

I swear, if we didn't have dumb people then, wow, our population would be 25% of what it is today and we'd all have big yards.

I empathize with the person having been surrounded by the dumb for so long.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHO wrote the obit?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Our brother struggled for a long time with depression"

"If only his illness could have been identified and treated...."

Seems like a family full of guilt trying to blame anything but themselves...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
WHO wrote the obit?

Bloomberg.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deceased's fault.

Families fault.

That's it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can honestly say I have never seen anyone use an obit to further a political agenda like that. Fuck 'em. Impose your guilt on somebody who cares.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it is time to outlaw cars, trucks, sleeping pills, gasoline etc etc ad nauseum. How many people kill themselves, intentionally, by cars? By overdosing on pills or other medication? I had a family member killed several years ago when a driver intentionally crossed the center line to hit him head on. Killed them both. And there was no doubt that it was intentional as the perpetrator had left the not saying he was going to do it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
oh boo freakin hoo

the gun was an instrument

if it wasn't a gun, he would have found some other way to do it

too bad the gun had a stigma attached to it by the ignorant, but a gun has never, ever committed suicide

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post