SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Black Snake - Photos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Black Snake - Photos Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
Came home today to find this in my driveway. One freshly deceased snake that appears to have choked on himself.

No sooner than I post it on Facespace, my neighbor calls me. He hand crafts bows, and uses snake skins. He asked if he could have it. When he came over to pick it up, my 5 year old wanted to check it out.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
African-American snake, you white male racist homophope!

Good to see your son enjoying it. Boys love snakes. (Some girls too-my daughter used to scare hell out of me!)

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a western ratsnake

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Western rat snake I believe.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Could be pure Alabama Black Snake.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Beaucoup?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Good snake.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good snake.

I don't know who he escaped from, but he was very well trained. He sat, he stayed.... Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
It's ashamed it was dead. It looked like some good eating to me. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
My sister today.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Good snake.

Not really. Those snakes remove a lot of vermin from the environment! Including, as I have been told, venomous snakes.

They are completely harmless to humans!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Yes, saw that movie a couple times myself.

too bad about the snake dying, I hate rats...well I hate snakes too so..

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a large Black Snake was hanging from the rafters in a horse stall over a mare and her new foal. I was afraid it might drop down and startle the mare so I extracted it. It took a couple of hitches around my bare arm but we quickly developed an understanding and I took it a fair distance from the barn and turned it loose. It was dark and I hope it didn't beat me back to the barn.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was injured at the midpoint and "turned" on itself out of pain.

That is "natural", as the snake's instinct is to turn back on an attacker, but if there is not one, they latch on to themselves.

So, he was pretty much a goner already.

Something else had a go at him earlier.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Poor snake. Frown

They are your friend, unless venomous, or they look like they might be venomous, then it's the flat shovel. Otherwise move them into shade or near rocks.

I freaked someone out the other day doing that. Moved a friendly snake over off the road, they said I was nuts.

Less rodents = good

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

He didn't have many other signs of obvious injury. He wasn't crushed by getting driven over, and honestly only my one neighbor and I use the driveway. Neither of us would have hit him.

He had some damage to his skin but it didn't look too serious. Our best theory is that one of the hawks had a go at it, tried to fly away with him, and dropped him.

quote:
They are your friend, unless venomous

Since we are on property, and have rodents, these guys are welcome.

www.zykansafe.com

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Poor snake. Frown

They are your friend, unless venomous, or they look like they might be venomous, then it's the flat shovel. Otherwise move them into shade or near rocks.

I freaked someone out the other day doing that. Moved a friendly snake over off the road, they said I was nuts.

Less rodents = good

Heck, even the rattlesnakes would be fine if a guy didn't have kids and dogs. They really go after the ground squirrels and they don't bother you if you don't bother them. Unfortunately, while the kids are old enough now to stay away, the dogs are both curious and clueless about snakes - not a good combination - so it is always open season on rattlers around here.

Shovels are great, but a big stick or even a lead rope / leash will do. You hit them hard enough to break their back and it dramatically reduces their mobility and ability to strike.

Gopher snakes and garter snakes always get relocated off the road. If I have a bucket with a lid handy, the gopher snakes get relocated to the orchard.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Looks like it was injured at the midpoint and "turned" on itself out of pain.

That is "natural", as the snake's instinct is to turn back on an attacker, but if there is not one, they latch on to themselves.

So, he was pretty much a goner already.

Agreed. M guess, maybe a car. Unfortunate 'cause the vermin will be celebrating.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/BUCu0t2V3os

Yep, Alabama Blacksnake, it is.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Handsome fella, too bad. They do much more good than harm. Snake like that would keep the copperhead population in check..

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post