SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some time ago, I asked members to stop posting media sensationalism about shootings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some time ago, I asked members to stop posting media sensationalism about shootings Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
In an effort to stop this apparent need of some members to be the very first to post bad news in this forum, I asked that we cease posting the sensationlistic stories about school lockdowns because of some false report, or stories of "MASS SHOOTINGS" when there is essentially no hard evidence available.

Somehow, this has morphed into "Don't post at all about OBVIOUS terror attacks", such as that in Manchester this week.

The icing on the cake is a member bitching in another thread that they can't "keep up with all these verbal rules", and that they no longer start threads for fear of running into such a thing. Uh huh. Roll Eyes

We can simplify things for everyone. All I need to do is to allow our members to be shills for the pathetic, muckraking, sensationalistic news media. All we have to do is go back to posting every fucking shooting, every goddamned false alarm that these charlatans put out. Is that what you guys want? I don't think so.

I've asked members here to exercise common sense and to stop allowing themselves to be led around by these con men. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

You don't need to be the first to post some sensational story here, but you do have to be right

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
It seems clear enough to me boss. Of course, I learned a long time ago first-hand what scumbags the media are.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like the rules around here. Really one of the reasons I hang around here.

Thanks, Para!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somehow, this has morphed into "Don't post at all about OBVIOUS terror attacks", such as that in Manchester this week.

Truth be told, I was not surprised that a thread about Manchester has not been posted yet. Your overall message to the forum is pretty clear, "let's let the dust settle a bit" before jumping on the "BREAKING NEWS" post.

Now that the dust has settled...honestly what's the point? Nothing has changed, nothing will likely change...wash, rinse, repeat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Para,
You run a great place here! Freedom to discuss all kinds of topics!

I spend a fair amount of time here and truly appreciate it!

Thanks for keeping it a place where we can actually discuss issues.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lurked for quite awhile before joining in and posting. I learned well from that observation period. The biggest 'unwritten rule", act like an adult, isn't that hard to adhere to. That solves a lot of issues about what and how to post.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It all boils down to the truth. Is it true? there's no way to know what is true by parroting the news media especially in active shooter reporting where most, if not all, is speculation and commentary. I wait a few days for thing to shake out before I post what I think. If a bomb detonates in Manchester, posting about the fact fits the rules. Speculating or repeating news speculation does not. Find the truth then post it. Easy peasy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A rule that improved an already great place. Kick ass and chew bubble gum.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just can't tell you what a great feeling it is to have my directions distorted.

"Why is there no thread about the Manchester attack?"

"Haven't you heard? Para says wait 24 hours before posting about legitimate attacks"

"This is why I no longer start threads here. I can't keep up with these verbal rules."

Well that's great, man. There's no such fucking rule, for Christ's sake. So, we have members getting upset about rules I did not make.

Do you want me to open the floodgates, guys? Shall I award daily prizes to those who get here first with the least true story? I mean, really, what would you have me do? Moderation, or no moderation- which would you prefer? I can just sit back and let this place become a tabloid.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I mean, really, what would you have me do? Moderation, or no moderation- which would you prefer?

I definitely prefer moderation. This site is awesome, and I think your intent is clear.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
A rule that improved an already great place. Kick ass and chew bubble gum.
I think that Para is out of bubble gum.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just can't tell you what a great feeling it is to have my directions distorted.

"Why is there no thread about the Manchester attack?"

"Haven't you heard? Para says wait 24 hours before posting about legitimate attacks"

"This is why I no longer start threads here. I can't keep up with these verbal rules."

Well that's great, man. There's no such fucking rule, for Christ's sake. So, we have members getting upset about rules I did not make.

Do you want me to open the floodgates, guys? Shall I award daily prizes to those who get here first with the least true story? I mean, really, what would you have me do? Moderation, or no moderation- which would you prefer? I can just sit back and let this place become a tabloid.

I guess you are addressing my post.
Sorry, I don't believe this is being taken as how I meant. How I should have worded my post is I am reluctant to start new threads on current events because I'm not too clear about what is frowned upon. No criticism of the forum or the rules were intended. I must miss the threads that pertain to these issues so my apologies.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm referring to your post, and there was nothing unclear about it. You stated that the rules are vague, muddled and ever-changing, and as a result, you've given up on starting new threads.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I was pretty clear about what was going on here with regard to Manchester. The "rules" are not confusing. But I also have watched very little of the reporting about it-- maybe a total of 10 minutes. It is so predictable and so maddening--the flowers, candles, and teddy bears, the Brit "leaders" saying "we must reach out to Muslims"-- it's better for me to avoid it altogether. In that regard, I was glad there was no thread here.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can just sit back and let this place become a tabloid.

umm, no, please.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, really, what would you have me do? Moderation, or no moderation- which would you prefer? I can just sit back and let this place become a tabloid.

Please don't - Plenty of other forums that are well within that definition. One of the things I greatly enjoy about this forum - NO bullshit.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I'm referring to your post, and there was nothing unclear about it. You stated that the rules are vague, muddled and ever-changing, and as a result, you've given up on starting new threads.

Here is what I said...
quote:
This is why I never start any threads anymore. I can't keep up with these "verbal" rules.
I assume a separate thread containing these rules has been discussed?

Prior to that I asked why there wasn't a thread about the bombing. Then when I was told there was a 24 hour stand down requested on these subjects all I replied that it was news to me.
Vague, muddled? I never said anything of the sort.
I'm sincerely trying to just abide by the rules here, man. Smile

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can simplify things for everyone. All I need to do is to allow our members to be shills for the pathetic, muckraking, sensationalistic news media. All we have to do is go back to posting every fucking shooting, every goddamned false alarm that these charlatans put out. Is that what you guys want? I don't think so.

I've asked members here to exercise common sense and to stop allowing themselves to be led around by these con men. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

You don't need to be the first to post some sensational story here, but you do have to be right

^^^Bingo^^^

Just the other day I found it disturbing to read that some lying trash the Washington Post put out about Donald Trump ("we have an anonymous source") got them the most eyeballs of any story ever. They were high fiveing each other. Folks need to remember that when you post a link to that lying stuff, even if you put up a comment "WHAT A BUNCH OF TRASH" you are increasing their circulation, thus their ad revenues, and by helping to reward them - bringing even more trash and bad stuff (by other news sources trying to emulate how to make a buck via anonymous source fake news) your way.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Reminds of the following:

Moses is up on Mount Sinai and the Almighty is conveying the text of the Torah to him. They come to “Do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk”, and Moses looks up and says, “By this I assume you mean we should not eat meat and milk dishes at the same time.”

“No,” replies the Almighty, “I simply said, ‘Do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.’”

“OK,” says Moses, “So you mean we should have separate dishes for meat and milk."

“No,” says the Master of the Universe, “I simply said, ‘Do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk.’”

“Fine,” says Moses, “So you mean we should wait six hours after meat before we can eat milk?”

“Alright, Moses,” says the Holy One, “have it your way.”

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The first rule of news stories is: You do not need to be the first to post about news stories

The second rule of news stories is: You do no need to be the first to post news stories...

The rules of posting are there for your protection sir Big Grin

This process works well

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post