SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
5G is going to give wired Internet suppliers real competition.

“SAN DIEGO, Jan. 10, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Sprint (NYSE:S) announced it has reached a significant milestone on its path towards launching mobile 5G service beginning in the first half of this year. Together with Nokia and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, the companies this week completed the world's first over-the-air 5G data transmission using 2.5 GHz and Massive MIMO on Sprint's live commercial network…”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...1.html?.tsrc=applewf

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I saw this pic from it, I think size does matter here....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
And reception is still sketchy countrywide.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Huh. There is virtually no 5G service nationwide at the moment. Everyone is racing to upgrade all their equipment and add a whole lotta new receiver/transmitters to make 5G possible. Its won't be until sometime in 2020 when 5G starts to really become viable to the masses. But when it does become viable/reliable, 5G has to potential to be a huge game changer when it comes to data communications.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Huh. There is virtually no 5G service nationwide at the moment. Everyone is racing to upgrade all their equipment and add a whole lotta new receiver/transmitters to make 5G possible. Its won't be until sometime in 2020 when 5G starts to really become viable to the masses. But when it does become viable/reliable, 5G has to potential to be a huge game changer when it comes to data communications.

5G is not necessarily for your smart phones, it is more for the IOT (internet of things) due to the lack of latency.

Not saying it will not be used for streaming and such but the real aim is toward driver less cars and such, hence the pico cells going up on light poles all over.

Sprint is trying to increase their sale price before TMO takes them over. As one who is intimately involved with the roll out you wil not see see 5G whole scale until 2020 at least. That will be in pop centers.

No carrier is building 5G right now, they are trialing it and building the infrastructure to build it, they have not even started the MASSIVE channel clearing to support it....also they do not even have handsets for it on a large scale.

oh...almost forgot...Sprint sucks Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think he is referring to their 4g LTE service.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:

I think he is referring to their 4g LTE service.
I think more precisely he is referring to 4G LTE typically has spacing in the low single digit miles (e.g. 2 miles) in suburban areas but in flat rural areas (less users) the spacing can be 30ish miles. In many areas service sucks because the spacing is too far for the terrain.

5G spacing is between 0.15 and 0.18 miles. Sounds great in an urban or suburban setting (my neighborhood's light poles are closer than this), but how is it going to work in the other 85% of the country?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Yes to the above. Sprint's "spacing" is questionable, especially in rural areas.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
5G will be more of the same from all the other data carriers that offer 4G LTE. Great for those inside of heavily populated urban areas, but damn near useless everywhere else. Until the carriers extend their coverage to places that don't currently receive cell/data, then I don't see it revolutionizing anything.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
5G will be more of the same from all the other data carriers that offer 4G LTE. Great for those inside of heavily populated urban areas, but damn near useless everywhere else. Until the carriers extend their coverage to places that don't currently receive cell/data, then I don't see it revolutionizing anything.

Supposedly, one of the features of 5G is you don't need to get to a base station. Just to another user's phone (or car) that can get to the base station, and then that user's phone (or car) will "repeat" your signal to the base station. Imagine if every new car was able to receive and repeat cell signals. This alone should improve coverage, but yes, there will still be dead spots as before.

That said, how is this Sprint 5G call so different from a regular cell phone call? really. Why should I be excited about it as if it's some kind of Marconi moment?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Having worked for Sprint, I can tell you they have a long and expensive history of introducing technology that nobody wants or can use at the time. Not to say that 5G won't be the norm some day, but for example in the early 2000's they had to write off of their balance sheet $3.2B of technology investment that would not sell.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:... Why should I be excited about it as if it's some kind of Marconi moment?

You obviously never had good Macaroni.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
5G is not necessarily for your smart phones, it is more for the IOT (internet of things) due to the lack of latency.

Not saying it will not be used for streaming and such but the real aim is toward driver less cars and such, hence the pico cells going up on light poles all over.

Sprint is trying to increase their sale price before TMO takes them over. As one who is intimately involved with the roll out you wil not see see 5G whole scale until 2020 at least. That will be in pop centers.

No carrier is building 5G right now, they are trialing it and building the infrastructure to build it, they have not even started the MASSIVE channel clearing to support it....also they do not even have handsets for it on a large scale.

oh...almost forgot...Sprint sucks Big Grin

Just curious - what do you think the chances of 5G infrastructure making it into rural areas by 2021/2022?

Future wife 2.0 (newer and MUCH improved) and I are working on a 2ish year plan to get out into the country and Internet access is a concern (I work from home most days) Smile

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Supposedly, one of the features of 5G is you don't need to get to a base station. Just to another user's phone (or car) that can get to the base station, and then that user's phone (or car) will "repeat" your signal to the base station.

Cite, please?

I don't know, because I haven't been following 5G developments, at all, but that seems unlikely. If for no other reason than...

quote:
Imagine if every new car was able to receive and repeat cell signals.

Imagine how mind-numbingly unreliable such a network would be. Never mind how they'd be able to achieve the high throughput and low latencies they're claiming.

quote:
That said, how is this Sprint 5G call so different from a regular cell phone call? really.

Because it's using new technology.

quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
Having worked for Sprint, I can tell you they have a long and expensive history of introducing technology that nobody wants or can use at the time.

Yeah, but Sprint will soon be majority-owned by T-Mobile. T-Mobile has a history of executing.

Besides: Sprint's most notorious screwup was the Nextel acquisition. Other than that, their main problem was having lost their way, after once having been what T-Mobile now is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Without the least doubt, 5G is the way forward for the mobile telecoms. And, as I said in my OP, it’s going to give the wired Internet suppliers some real competition. And those bastards sure need some competition.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
What I’ve been told is 5G data will allow WiFi hot spots in homes to work better than cable. It will be wireless. It should destroy Comcast and Charter etc. I’ve also been told by a guy working in this technology that it will be here fast. I’m surprised to hear the first call was just made. Verizon is already advertising it as available in a few cities.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny. I’m in the middle of nowhere and the other day I saw a 5g cell on top of a telephone pole.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
What I’ve been told is 5G data will allow WiFi hot spots in homes to work better than cable. It will be wireless. It should destroy Comcast and Charter etc. I’ve also been told by a guy working in this technology that it will be here fast. I’m surprised to hear the first call was just made. Verizon is already advertising it as available in a few cities.
Verizon is cutting corners and launching 5G network that's not consistent with the new industry standard. They intend to convert over sometime next year when the standardized version of 5G becomes more common. Not exactly sure how that's going to work out for them.

And I'm with you hoping 5G carves into the current wired internet carriers market. That competition should be good for all of us.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post