SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprint Completes World's First 5G Data Call Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
If it's Sprint good luck with having coverage. Any coverage.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
5G spacing is between 0.15 and 0.18 miles. Sounds great in an urban or suburban setting (my neighborhood's light poles are closer than this), but how is it going to work in the other 85% of the country?

Wow that is only approx 850 feet. Can you imagine how many of these in a neighborhood ??? Sure I will be happy to have you install one of these on MY PROPERTY !!!! CHA-CHING !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
And reception is still sketchy countrywide.
Huh. There is virtually no 5G service nationwide at the moment. Everyone is racing to upgrade all their equipment and add a whole lotta new receiver/transmitters to make 5G possible. Its won't be until sometime in 2020 when 5G starts to really become viable to the masses. But when it does become viable/reliable, 5G has to potential to be a huge game changer when it comes to data communications.

I think he is referring to their 4g LTE service.
I think more precisely he is referring to 4G LTE typically has spacing in the low single digit miles (e.g. 2 miles) in suburban areas but in flat rural areas (less users) the spacing can be 30ish miles. In many areas service sucks because the spacing is too far for the terrain.

5G spacing is between 0.15 and 0.18 miles. Sounds great in an urban or suburban setting (my neighborhood's light poles are closer than this), but how is it going to work in the other 85% of the country?

This is highly dependent on freq and site type. Pico cells, aka small cells, monted on a light pole are designed for short distances for the IOT. But you could in theory drive it on 600mhz at 300', this will not be what the carriers will role out first though. 4G/LTE is good enough for most uses, including stream movies....depending on signal strength.

5G is just a bigger faster pipe, LTE standa for Long Term Evolution.....5G is RA....radio add....normally with a new antenna as well, the tech is complicated but the basic site build/mod is not unless you are doing channel aggregation.

Then it can be a nightmare.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post