SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The NFL can expect even lower rating with these actions...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NFL can expect even lower rating with these actions... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
If the nfl and the team owners don't put on a squash on this garbage, I'll skip this season just like I did the last one. Just try me. I'm confident I'm not alone in this.

This crap has nothing to do with first amendment rights or freedom of expression. The NFL has every right to shut these American fools down. And if they don't like it, fire them. Period.

I agree. This is just like any business. You have a right to protest all you want on your own time. When you're on the clock for me, you have no such right and you'll represent my business properly, the way I expect, or you'll be looking for another job.

The NFL is no different. Go ahead and fire everybody protesting on NFL time. It'll be a shitstorm, but maybe it'll get the point across.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I love it. Let's see more stupid shit, pile it on.

And by the way, the "stupid shit" is not just a product of the players only.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If my Redskins pull this shit, I will still watch, ...

See: I don't get that. If somebody does something I find sufficiently offensive, I simply cannot enjoy their performance any longer. E.g.: Barbara Streisand has one of the best singing voices there ever was, but I will not buy her music. I can still appreciate her talent, but cannot get the echos of "leftist loon" out of my head.

My wife and I loved the Bourne Identity franchise. At least the first three films. Have them on DVD. Ever since Matt Damon's outspoken anti-gun position: Won't watch anything with Matt Damon in it, any more. Incl. the three we own. I see Matt Damon and all I can think is HYPOCRITE!

You can't boycott every entertainer with whom you disagree politically, otherwise there'd be precious little entertainment left to watch. I get that. But I think I'd be hard-pressed to root for a sports team with membership that clearly did not share some of my most fundamental values.

For Hollyweird types you can mitigate the problem by remaining blissfully unaware. But sports team members are shoving it right in their fans' faces. That's the egregious part, IMO.

JMHO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Teams should fine the players who refuse to stand. On top of everything else it represents, showing respect during the Anthem is a team activity, for the good of the business, and should be treated as such.

Owners and coaches probably won't be able to to change what's in some players' hearts and minds, but they damned sure should be able to address game-day behavior that's bad for the business.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Like the owners who are giving Rodger an extension? The inept commissioner who could end all this stupid shit by COB today - if he really wanted to?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this insanity keeps up and spreads I would cancel the season and not pay the players. Let's see how the thugs feel about that!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

Idiots.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Uh, unless we're looking at a still for a remake, HaraKiri was shot in B&W.

What are we looking at? A production still?

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If my Redskins pull this shit, I will still watch, ...

See: I don't get that. If somebody does something I find sufficiently offensive, I simply cannot enjoy their performance any longer. E.g.: Barbara Streisand has one of the best singing voices there ever was, but I will not buy her music. I can still appreciate her talent, but cannot get the echos of "leftist loon" out of my head.

My wife and I loved the Bourne Identity franchise. At least the first three films. Have them on DVD. Ever since Matt Damon's outspoken anti-gun position: Won't watch anything with Matt Damon in it, any more. Incl. the three we own. I see Matt Damon and all I can think is HYPOCRITE!

You can't boycott every entertainer with whom you disagree politically, otherwise there'd be precious little entertainment left to watch. I get that. But I think I'd be hard-pressed to root for a sports team with membership that clearly did not share some of my most fundamental values.

For Hollyweird types you can mitigate the problem by remaining blissfully unaware. But sports team members are shoving it right in their fans' faces. That's the egregious part, IMO.

JMHO.

For me Redskins football is so ingrained in my life, there is no walking away, it would take some serious shit for me to do that. My favorite memories as a boy with my dad was at skin's games.

I can watch without contributing a cent to the NFL or team (if need be). As it is I have not bought a jersey or other merchandise, not have I attended a game in the last two years. This is more based on the shitty product than any counter protest. The stadium sucks and I don't have any jerseys I want currently. Also I don't want to put money in our douchbag owner's hands.

Luckily we aren't dealing with this shit, I hope I don't have to cross that bridge.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Uh, unless we're looking at a still for a remake, HaraKiri was shot in B&W.

What are we looking at? A production still?

Looks like a 2011 remake.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1728196/

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm down to watching the BEARS & whomever they play. I remember the League fining McMahon 5 grand every time he sported the Adidas headband.
Adidas most likely paid the dough for that kind of advertising.

I wonder what Rocky Bleier thinks of these shenanigans?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:

The NFL is no different. Go ahead and fire everybody protesting on NFL time. It'll be a shitstorm, but maybe it'll get the point across.

Sort of like Reagan with the Air Traffic Controllers...Love it!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Like the owners who are giving Rodger an extension? The inept commissioner who could end all this stupid shit by COB today - if he really wanted to?

The commissioner works for the owners. The owners would have to agree to any change in policy or rules regarding the anthem. Each individual owner could put an end to it whenever they wanted to. As others have pointed out Jerry Jones has told his team that if they kneel they are fired. Nothing stopping any other owner from doing the same thing.

I can't stand Dallas, but I do agree with Jones and wish other owners would take the same position.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched NFL since Elway retired.

"I wouldn't say I've been... 'missing it,' Bob."

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I would really rather see the NFL tank than what will probably happen.

I predict that they will stop playing the anthem before games.

I won't watch a single NFL game this year. I can tell you that. Then again, I couldn't tell you the last time I watched an entire professional sports game of any sort.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Fuck all these spoiled, ungrateful, rich thugs. For me NFL = Not Following Losers!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16211 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me Redskins football is so ingrained in my life, there is no walking away, it would take some serious shit for me to do that. My favorite memories as a boy with my dad was at skin's games.

So if the whole team or even just most of them disrespected the flag of your country, thereby disrespecting the men and women who died for it and you, that's not serious enough for you to walk away from them? That's sad.

quote:
I can watch without contributing a cent to the NFL or team (if need be).

You contribute when you watch whether you like it or not. The advertisers are what bring in the big bucks. Rationalize it all you want, but you are supporting these anti-American fools, who hate you and me by the way, whenever you watch them play.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm pretty sure Ohio State could mop the floor with the Browns, they are irrelevant.

Come on man! I know it's popular to rag on the Browns but if all the best college players were put on the same team they still wouldn't beat any NFL team. On average, most college players who are drafted washout within 3 years and the majority of the ones who stay are just getting used to the systems, conditioning and speed of the game. It's not typical for any drafted player to step in on day one without the support of the game plan and veteran players.

To all this nonsense about standing/kneeling/sitting the NFL screwed this one up big time. If they nipped it in the bud and issued a memo stating that as any representative of the NFL is required to stand for the anthem or face suspension without pay until a public apology including the importance of honoring and respecting the anthem is made publicly.

The NFL is not a launchpad for the players' personal opinions or political statements. If the NFL is strict about what color gloves or shoes are allowed on the field, this was an obvious fumble (pun intended) by the league office for not controlling this dumpster fire.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of me thinks these bums don't deserve the Anthem. So, if you cannot show proper reverence, best for you to go away.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

So if the whole team or even just most of them disrespected the flag of your country, thereby disrespecting the men and women who died for it and you, that's not serious enough for you to walk away from them? That's sad.

I think you need to re-think that one. This isn't about the Redskins or politics, this is about his dad and his memories of his time with his dad.

I don't understand the watching sports addiction, don't have much in the way of "doing things with dad" memories like that, and I've never been real good at empathy, but even I understand this.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post