SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheriff revokes former governor's pistol permit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheriff revokes former governor's pistol permit Login/Join 
posted
Former governor Robert Bentley has filed a complaint against Tuscaloosa County Sheriff Ron Abernathy in an effort to keep his firearms permit, the Tuscaloosa News reported.

Bentley's attorney Bill Athanas filed a complaint in Tuscaloosa County Circuit Court on Tuesday. According to the complaint, Abernathy revoked Bentley's pistol permit in April, citing a "justifiable concern for public safety."

The permit was revoked just days after Bentley resigned from office after pleading guilty to campaign and ethics violations in connection with a romantic relationship with former advisor Rebekah Caldwell Mason.

The terms of Bentley's plea deal require him to perform 100 hours of community service as a medical doctor and pay more than $50,000 in fines and restitution. He was also sentenced to 30 days in jail, suspended for a period of one year.

Abernathy told the News the department revokes the pistol permit of anyone with a pending criminal case. It can be reinstated once conditions of any plea agreements are reached.

Athanas said the former Republican governor has complied with all the terms of his plea deal except for the completion of his community service.

According to Alabama law, sheriffs can deny a pistol permit if he has a "reasonable suspicion" the person could use the weapon illegally and can consider a variety of factors, including if the applicant is or was the subject of a prosecution that could lead them being prohibited from possession a firearm.

Sounds like retaliation to me. Punishing the LuV Gov. as he was called.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably. Maybe he sheriff is honest, and doesn't believe politicians should be above the law.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the sherrif thinks a permit holder should know when to keep his pistol in its holster.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Athanas said the former Republican governor has complied with all the terms of his plea deal except for the completion of his community service.
Hey Mr entitled dickbag, ever consider actually completing the 100 hours of community service as a medical doctor that you agreed to as part of your plea deal?

I support the Sheriff until the ex-governor completes ALL of his plea deal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Hey Mr entitled dickbag, ever consider actually completing the 100 hours of community service as a medical doctor that you agreed to as part of your plea deal?

Me, too!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
We don't know if he is working towards it or not

Rarely do you do 100 hours of community service in a short amount of time. In my experience, most people that are working jobs (I don't know that the former governor is) will complete 5-10'hours/week...so it could take up to 20 weeks to do 100 hours of community service...basically figure you work your job M-F and then do service on your days off...most courts allow for this so that people can continue to make a living while completing their terms of service

How long ago was the sentence?

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley doesn't get a security detail or any other retirement benefits and won't can't run again for public office under the plea deal he worked out with prosecutors to keep from being charged with any serious crimes.

The above may be part of the reason as well for his request. There sure are a lot of people angry with the guy.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
If the Sheriff is holding the former Governor to the same standards as every other citizen, good for him.

In the same light any politician who votes against concealed carry should not be issued permits.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I only support taking his permit if there is an actual threat that he will use a weapon and is dangerous. Pulling this further punish him beyond his agreement is unjustified. This would be what we always fail against as gun supporters.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rebekah Caldwell Mason

If I was in that position, I would be putting in 10 hour days Saturday and Sunday, and possibly Friday as well. Bentley should just jump on it and get it done, if it is that important to him.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. So he was facing four felonies, all of which were plead to misdemeanors, and he was sentenced to probation. Well, screw him, while he is under the supervision of the court he ought not to have a concealed handgun permit.

We already know that he is a reprobate, and I don't think that moral degenerates like him who violate his oath of office ought to get a pass.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are quick to agree to take a man's constitutional rights away. I don't like that a Sheriff can suspend someone's rights indefinitely on a "reason to suspect". If that's the only basis for taking the man's right to bear arms I think it's BS and the Sheriff is endowed with power he ought not have....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If he hasn't complied with the all terms of his plea agreement, he is in violation. He could then receive sentences in keeping with the crimes to which he pleaded.

Where would that leave him?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rarely do you do 100 hours of community service in a short amount of time. In my experience, most people that are working jobs (I don't know that the former governor is) will complete 5-10'hours/week...so it could take up to 20 weeks to do 100 hours of community service...basically figure you work your job M-F and then do service on your days off...most courts allow for this so that people can continue to make a living while completing their terms of service

How long ago was the sentence

April 10, 2017.

May, June, July makes 12 weeks. If he did 8 hours a week he'd be about done. However, practical realities would include finding a place to volunteer, certification and background check. Being a convicted criminal would likely limit volunteer opportunities.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/...y-meeting/index.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

How long ago was the sentence?
If you re-read the article, it says it was in April. IMO, it doesn't matter that he is working towards it as his debt to society is only paid when he has completed it. A 2 minute Internet search shows there are 3 free clinics (one is open Saturdays) in Tuscaloosa and 6 nearby free clinics.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
If he hasn't complied with the all terms of his plea agreement, he is in violation. He could then receive sentences in keeping with the crimes to which he pleaded.

Where would that leave him?
This article states that he has a 30 day suspended jail sentence hanging over his head if he doesn't meet all of his parole conditions.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
And none of that has shit to do with his gun rights. The crimes he plead to do not rise too the level of right revocation, even if he failed to complete the 100 hours of service and had to do 30 days. The Sheriff is using his power to be punitive where he has no cause or justification. Do you guys really feel that a Sheriff should have such arbitrary power to suspend constitutional rights? Maybe the Sherrif could ban the ex-govorner from speaking or voting until he completes his 100 hours Roll Eyes

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
And none of that has shit to do with his gun rights. The crimes he plead to do not rise too the level of right revocation, even if he failed to complete the 100 hours of service and had to do 30 days. The Sheriff is using his power to be punitive where he has no cause or justification. Do you guys really feel that a Sheriff should have such arbitrary power to suspend constitutional rights? Maybe the Sherrif could ban the ex-govorner from speaking or voting until he completes his 100 hours Roll Eyes

I tend to agree with you, TXJIM.

But, on the other hand, if such revocation has been routine and consistent for other offenders in that sheriff's jurisdiction, then it's only right that the ex-governor receive exactly the same treatment.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

I tend to agree with you, TXJIM.

But, on the other hand, if such revocation has been routine and consistent for other offenders in that sheriff's jurisdiction, then it's only right that the ex-governor receive exactly the same treatment.

Or, the Sheriff finally power tripped on someone with the status and/or means to put an end to his arbitrary bullshit.....depending on how you lean Smile

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
He was convicted of at least two crimes and has a jail sentence hanging over his head.

I did some searching of Alabama law but could not find any info regarding disqualification for a permit after being convicted of a crime. Alabama laws aren't indexed the same way VA laws are.

After he completes his sentence, you need to know if there are any restrictions.

Here in VA: § 18.2-308.09. Disqualifications for a concealed handgun permit.

The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

7. An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1. Traffic infractions and misdemeanors set forth in Title 46.2 (i.e: traffic code) shall not be considered for purposes of this disqualification.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post