SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellow jackets in rockery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow jackets in rockery Login/Join 
posted
Anybody have a good method for getting rid of yellow jackets in a rockery? Too close to fence for gasoline and a match.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Need pic of the layout. Is it a wall? How many access/escape points do they have? They’ll be less active after dark, that’s the time to attack them.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hook up a shop vac with the nozzle by the entrance, turn on, and walk away for a few hours ...

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a video on YT where a cup of gasoline was poured in the entrance hole(ground nest) and then a plastic bucket was set over the hole. The bucket was upside down with a rock/brick on top to keep it from blowing over. The next day, all the y/j were dead.

In your case you could do something similar.
Stretch an old bath towel over the rocks and pour a cup of gas onto the rocks and towel. Then lay a trash bag flat over the towel and weigh it down. Let it sit over night. That should do the trick.

Or just buy a can of wasp spray and stay up wind... either way, video it Wink

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Spectricide foaming yellow jacket spray around dark. You need to identify where they go in and out during the day.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Hang a brown paper grocery bag near it, crumble it to look like a,hornets nest. Evidently, when hornets move in, everybody else moves out, guess they are not good neighbors.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Since it works on burrowing mammals it'll probably work on yellow jackets in your rock landscaping.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/CgztUzqaL3E

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Anybody have a good method for getting rid of yellow jackets in a rockery? Too close to fence for gasoline and a match.
Oh come on, you know youve been looking for a good excuse to buy some Tannerite. Big Grin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
These traps work very, very well. Hang a few of them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RE...p-YJTR-SF4/100090964

My dad likes to tell the story of the time my grandfather (mother's father) had wasps in a rock wall on a creek. My parents had just started dating, so around 1968 or so. Papa poured several gallons of gasoline on the rock wall, then threw a match on it. My dad said it blew the wall to complete shit! Threw rocks in the creek, up the bank, everywhere! But, apparently it got rid of the wasps, but he had to rebuild a large part of the wall.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Sprinkle a little Sevin dust at the entrance. They’ll carry it in. Works good I’ve been told.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I get rid of one to two yellow jackets nest a year. I hate yellow jackets. Both above gorund and in the ground. Find the entrance (could be more than one) wait till a few hours after night fall and spray the crap out of it with Raid Wasp and Hornet Spray.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd call NASA.....

Was the first thing I thought when I saw the title.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I can't find the embed link on YouTube today. This looked pretty effective. And overly complex, which is ideal!

https://youtu.be/17px2CYtHH0

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have used the shop-vac method many times; it is great for removing all the mature bees after a full day of use, but you’ll still need to deal with the nest or they’ll simply hatch more within a day or three. In the rock wall, after a full day of vacuuming, spray a good shot of chemical killer into the entrance and seal with a blob of plain old modeling clay. The vapors will be sealed in.

Here is a nice nightmare for you; watch it in HD for the full flavor...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8ls5oN3ps#

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I won last night with a combo of Sevin dust and Spectricide. Need to check again when I get home from work. I sprayed a bunch of Sevin dust in the cavity with a turkey baster, then filled it up with Spectricide foam. Once the foam drained I did another coating of Sevin.

The Sevin worked really well to keep them from attacking me. I wondered if filling up the cavity with Great Stuff Foam would have worked well, anybody ever try that?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the foamy Black Flag cans. As soon as the foam hits the hole it's sealed. Plus you don't have to get close. Stand back and direct the stream directly to where you want. I've been stung by those raging assholes so many times I've started to carry one in the car when I'm in the woods. Get stung, head back to the car, grab can and head back to deal whoopass and payback. When I was young I'd just let it go. Not any more unless I'm too many miles out. Super cold early mornings and dark late evenings are best for spraying as they go somewhat dormant. However, the foam still works when they are active. Warning, the assholes coming back in the air to the hole will often sting you anyway.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
sorry

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I thought you meant yellow jacket tube sockets for guitar amps. I can produce some rockery with those! Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
sorry

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Here is a nice nightmare for you; watch it in HD for the full flavor...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8ls5oN3ps#

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post